Point Lookout Prison was located at the extreme tip of St. Mary’s County, Maryland, at the confluence of the Chesapeake Bay and the Potomac River. The size of the camp was 1,000 feet square, about 23 acres, surrounded by a board fence 12 feet high with a platform on the outside for the guards. The prisoners were housed in tents. The tents were arranged on nine streets or divisions running east and west. The prison was opened July 1863 and closed June 1865. Twenty thousand, one hundred and ten prisoners went through the facility during its existence, and 3,389, or 17% died. The deaths came from bad management, lack of adequate supplies such as clothing, blankets, wood and food, failure to establish sanitary conditions, and brutality and senseless killing by the guards.