Camp Lawton was located about five miles from Millen, Georgia, and on the Augusta Railroad. The prison was laid out in the customary style of Confederate prisons with sloping hills at each end and a small stream flowing between the hills. The walls were 15 feet high and sufficient wood was left inside the walls so that the prisoners could construct crude huts. Rations were somewhat better than Andersonville but were still not sufficient to sustain life.
The prison was open for two months. The Lawton cemetery held 784 bodies. These bodies were moved to Beaufort National Cemetery in South Carolina in February 1868. Where Camp Lawton stood in 1868 there is now a state park, Magnolia Springs.