Camp Florence Confederate Prison
Camp Florence was located in Florence County, South Carolina and was one of the largest Southern Civil War prisons. The prison was 23 acres in size and was enclosed by a wall of logs 12 feet high. An embankment outside the wall stood three feet below the top of the wall and served as a walkway for the guards. No tents or shelters were furnished to the prisoners. Wood was left inside the stockade and the first arrivals used the wood for huts and cooking. Lack of adequate food, pure water, sanitation facilities and shelter was responsible for 20 deaths per day.
The prison was open for five months from September 1864 to February 1865. Between 15,000 and 18,000 Federal prisoners passed through the gates, and 2,802 died in the compound. Florence National Cemetery, in Florence, South Carolina, consists of 5 ¾ acres. Because the listing of the deaths was lost, there are 2,167 unknowns.