CAMP CHASE CONFEDERATE STOCKADE
Camp Chase, located in Columbus, Ohio, was a training camp for newly inducted recruits, but it also became a prison camp for Confederate prisoners. The first prisoners arrived in July 1861 and the camp closed after the war. During its existence it held 9,416 prisoners and had 650 guards. Water was obtained from wells 15-20 feet deep. The sinks consisted of a ditch, which ran across the prison. Wood for cooking was delivered within the camp at three sticks per man per day. Rations consisted of bacon, beef, coffee, sugar, and one loaf of bread per day. The wooden stockade, 1700 feet long and 300 feet wide, was smaller than one at Andersonville. The prisoners were housed in barracks; during the time the prison was open 2,200 men died. They were buried in the prison cemetery, which today is cared for by the United Daughters of the Confederacy.