Welcome to C. Boyd's Wiregrass Roots VI
Nancy Ann Corbitt Boyd, 14 June 1856 - 24 February 1941
(Updated 29 June 1998)
Click here to see more CORBITT information.
Daniel Corbitt, RS, was born about 1755 and died Mar. 1801, mar. abt 1775 Martha Unknown who died after 1802.
- Rebecca , 1775 - ?
- Ann, 1776 - ?
- John, 1780 - 1854
- Sarah, 1783 - ?
- Susannah, 1785 - ?
- Mary, 1787 - ?
- Thomas, 1789 - ?
- Samuel, 1791 - ?
John Corbitt (my great great great Grandfather) was born in 1780 in Barnewell district, SC, son of Daniel Corbitt,R S. He came to Georgia about 1825 and first lived in appling County but after a few years moved to Ware County and settled in the present Manor district where he lived until his death in 1854. His wife, Penny Unknown, was born in 1790 in SC. She died 1867 in the home of their son James Corbitt, in Ware County. To John and Penny were born the following children:
- Amelia, 1803, SC, mar. George Pierce
- Daniel, 1808, SC, mar. Mary Ann Letitia "Pollie" Bennett, 1815 - 1887, dau. of John Bennett (1795 - 1836) and Francis "Fannie" Harris (1800 - ?)
- Nancy, 1815 - 1885, SC, mar. 1830 Henry Bennett, 5 Sept. 1808 - 1862, son of William Bennett, 1760 - 1828, and Mary Sheffield. (Nancy and Henry were Granny Nan's grandparents.)
- James, 1822, SC, mar. Elizabeth Carter, dau. of Jacob Carter.
- John, 1823, SC, mar. Elizabeth Branch, dau. of James Branch.
- William, 1825, SC, mar. Frances Moody.
- *Martha Elizabeth, 1826, mar. William Bennett, son of Henry Bennett. (They moved from Clinch Co. to Columbia Co., FLA in the 1860s.)
- Edmund, 1830, GA mar. Eleanor Carter, dau. of Isaac Carter.
Record is found in Barnwell County, SC, of deed of gift dated 7 January 1800, from Daniel Corbitt to his children, conveying all his estate (Deed Book 2, page 4, Barnwell County). Children named were: Mrs. Rebecca Baxter, John Corbitt, Susannah Corbitt, Mary Corbitt, Thomas Corbitt, Samuel Corbitt, and Mrs. Ann Baxter.
The above is taken from Huxford's Pioneers of Wiregrass Georgia, Vols. 2 and 3* and from my own papers.
Daniel Corbitt, (my great great Grandfather) son of John and Penny Corbitt, was born in Barnwell county, SC, 1 February 1808. He came with his parents to Ware County about 1825 - 26 and was married there to Mary Ann Letitia "Pollie Bennett, born 1815 in Bulloch County, GA, daughter of John and Francis Harris Bennett. Mr. Corbitt died there 15 November 1889, and his wife died in 1887. They were buried at the Lynn Church Cemetery in Ware County. Their children were:
- Richard (CSA), 1833 - 13 Feb. 1903, mar. 1853, 1st Nancy Mary Geiger, 20 Aug. 1837 - 1887, dau. of Asa Geiger, mar. 31 May 1892, 2nd Katie Jowers, born abt. 1850 - ?, dau. of Joseph Jowers.
- Matilda, 17 Sept. 1837 - 17 Aug. 1895, mar. Sept. 1853 David E. Geiger, 16 apr. 1832 - 15 Mar. 1885, son of Asa Geiger.
- Frances, 1839 - ?, mar. 1860 Joseph Crews, 1841 - ?.
- Zilpha, 1840 - ?, mar. 1861 Richard Hampton Smith, 1851 - 14 Oct. 1905.
- William Bennett, 1841 - 1862, died single in the CSA.
- Mary Ann, 1843 - ?, mar. Irwin R. B. James.
- James Henry "Jim", 1844 - ?, mar. 1867 Julia Ann Crews, 1850 - ?.
- Sarah Ann, 1846 - ?, mar. Richard Smith (second wife, 1871.
- John, 1849 - ?, mar. Victoria Miller, dau. of Ezekiel Stafford Miller (CSA) (1812 - 1863) and Eleanor Dyess (16 Oct. 1813 - 31 May 1869). (Ezekiel and Eleanor are my great great great Grandparents.)
- David C.,15 June 1850 - 17 Dec. 1932, mar. Mary Ann White, 1858 -?, sister to Jacob Riley, 1 Oct. 1878.
- Victoria, 1851 - ?, died in childhood.
- Nancy Ann, 14 June 1856 - 24 Feb. 1941, mar. Thomas Latimer Boyd, 3 Jan. 1860 - 20 June 1929, (son of Elijah Boyt, 1828 - ? and Elizabeth Martin, 1832 - ?). Nancy and Thomas are buried in the New Prospect Methodist Cemetery out of Manor, GA.
Daniel served as a private in capt. David J. Miller's company of Ware County militia in the Indian Wars in 1838. He also served with Capt. James A. Sweat from 6 Oct. - 3 Dec. 1841. In 1857 he sold his farm in the 451 district of Ware County and moved to the 1141 district of Clinch County where he bought lands and farmed for some years. He sold that about 1875 and moved back to Ware County and bought a farm near Providence Primitive Baptist Church near the Clinch-Ware county line, 440 acres of Lot 275, 8th District where he lived until his death.
The above information taken from Huxford's Pioneers of Wiregrass Georgia, Vol. 2 and my own papers.
Edmund Corbitt (my great great Grandfather) was the youngest son of John and Penny Unknown Corbitt was born in 1830 in Appling County, GA and died of dysentery in the CSA in 31 October 1862 in Richmond, VA. He came with his his parents as a boy to Ware County and grew up and lived in the Manor District until his death. He married Elender Carter, born 1 July 1826 and died 23 March 1890, dau. of Isaac (1790 - 1854) and Elender "Nellie" Tetstom Carter, (abt 1790 - aft 1843) in Appling County, GA. (Nellie was one of 12 children born to Isaac and Nellie.) Their four children are:
- Jane Elizabeth, 15 Aug. 1854 - 28 Aug. 1911, mar. William Kennedy Booth, Nov. 1861 - 25 Nov. 1945 in 30 April 1883.
- Nancy "Nannie", 11 Mar. 1857 - 10 Mar. 1887, mar. Jesse Bryant Cribb, 31 Mar. 1861 - 22 Mar. 1938, in 31 Dec. 1875. After Nannie's early death, Bryant married in 9 June 1887, Nancy Amy Dryden, 29 Mar. 1871 - 6 June 1924. Nannie and Nancy Amy are buried at Providence Primitive Baptist Cemetery. Bryant is buried at Oakland Cemetery in Waycross.
- George Washington, 11 Mar. 1859 - 5 Nov. 1938, mar. Lavinia James, 9 Dec. 1862 - 18 Jan. 1949, daughter of William T. James and Sarah Bennett, (dau. of Richard A. and Lavinia Newmans Bennett)
- Cecilia Ann, 26 Jan. 1862 - 9 Jan. 1937, mar. 24 Jan 1878 Jacob Riley White, 4 April 1854 - 6 July 1924 (son of Allen Van White, Sr. 1835 - July 1863, killed in the CSA, and Delphia Minschew, born 15 Jan. 1830 and died 19 Dec. 1885) in 24 Jan. 1878. Cecilia and Jacob and Delphia are buried in the Providence Primitive Baptist Cemetery out of Manor, GA
Edmund was a volunteer in the CSA. After his death Elender was appointed guardian of their children in 1879 by the Ordinary of Ware County.
The above information is from Huxford's Pioneers of Wiregrass Georgia, Vol. 3 and my own papers.
If you find any errors or have additional information about these ancestors, please get in touch with me. I would like to know where all these people are buried.
Updated 29 June 1998
I HAVE PHOTOGRAPH COPIES OF NANCY ANN CORBITT BOYD, CECILIA ANN CORBITT WHITE, AND JACOB RILEY WHITE. I AM ESPECIALLY INTERESTED IN A PHOTO OF THOMAS LATIMER BOYD AND ANY OF THE OTHER ANCESTORS MENTIONED ON THESE PAGES. THANK YOU.