The base was named after Major Harold Clark who was stationed in the Philippines but died in a seaplane crash in the Panama Canal Zone on 21 May 1919.
Basa Air Base, PAMPANGA. This is "Fightertown Philippines", the home of the "Boys of Basa", the "Pit of the Cobras" the "Roost of the Figthers". This is the place of the Philippine Air Force’s 5th Fighter Wing codenamed "Cobra" and whose F-5 equipped 6th Squadron and the armed AS-211 equipped 7th are based. It is also the home of the PAF’s Aerobatic Squadrons, the "Blue Diamonds" and the "Red Aces". This is the haven of the first air defense of the nation.
Built during the early stages of World War II by the United Sates Army Air Corp, it was then known as Florida-Blanca Air Field after the Pampanga town to which it is presently located today, After the War, it was turned over to the PAF on 02 May 1947 and the first post war PAF fighters, the P-51 Mustangs were transferred here.
The Base was named in honor of Philippine Army Air Corp Lt. Cesar T. Basa, a member of Captain Villamor’s P-26 equipped 6th Pursuit Squadron and who became the first Filipino aerial dogfight casualty in Philippine Military history.
Villamor Air Base, METRO MANILA Today, this is the main headquarters of the PAF. It was originally named Nichols Field and used by American and Filipino Army Air Corp units prior to World War II. In was turned over to the Philippine Air Force on January 1948. It is presently located in Pasay City at the heart of Metro Manila adjacent to the Manila International and Domestic Airport.
The Base was named after Captain Jesus Villamor, the Air Force’s first Medal of Valor recipient and Squadron Commander of the Fighting 6th Pursuit Squadron who engaged the Japanese Imperial Air Force during World War II.
It was also Captain Villamor's squadron that flew and baptized the P-26 in dogfight; making the "Peashooter" the first American fighter plane (flown by Filipino pilots) to officially enter World War II - in combat.
Atienza Air Base, CAVITE. Originally named Sangley Air Station, this Philippine Air Force base is shared with the Philippine Navy Air Group and the Philippine Naval surface combatant fleet. It is located strategically in Sangley Point, Cavite and used by the United States Navy prior and during World War II until. It was handed over to the Philippine Government in 01 September 1971.
It was Renamed Atienza Air Base in honor of Major Danilo Atienza, an F-5A jet pilot who failed to pull out during a bombing run and crashed in the area while leading a trio of F-5’s to destroy the RAM-SFP "air force" during the December 1989 Coup attempt. Today, as it has been, the Base houses the "Bronco", "TurboChargers" and "Defender" equipped 15th Strike Wing. The so called "macho unit" of the PAF is responsible for the main close air support (CAS) and counter insurgency (COIN) air support operations of the AFP.
Fernando Air Base, BATANGAS. The Summer Capital of the Philippine Air Force. Known in the past as Lipa City Army Air Base, after the Capital city of Batangas Province. The Base was built by the Japanese Armed Forces in 1942 after their victory using Philippine and American prisoners on forced labor. It was then the Home of the PAF’s Training Base where the Basic Airmen and Officer's Training course were conducted. It was also the home of the PAF Aviation Officer's Candidate School and the PAF Flying School; the "Air Force Academy Campus" until the unit was transferred to Rajah Buayan Air Base in the Southern Philippine province of South Cotobato.
The Base was turned over to the Philippine Air Force on 02 May 1948 and was named as it is now in honor of LtColonel Basilio Fernando, a Philippine airman who was killed in the United States on 21 January 1946 during a training flight on a B-25 Mitchell medium Bomber in Oklahoma, USA.
Bautista Air Base, PALAWAN. Like Mactan-Ebuen Air Base, Bautista shares its facility with the provincial airport. On 21 March 1975, the Puerto Princesa City Airport was improved and restructured and the PAF opened its base known as Puerto Princesa Air Base. The Base was named in honor of Colonel Antonio Bautista, a F-86 Sabre jet Pilot who was killed in action on 04 January 1974 engaged in a close air support mission against Muslim rebels.
Mactan-Benito Ebuen Air Base, CEBU. Construction of this large joint military and civil air field commenced in 1956 which now serves the Cebu-Mactan International Airport and the complex houses. This is the air base responsible for the Transport Wing of the PAF, where the Hercules, Fokkers and Nomads are based. When fighters are stationed in the area, it was known as the base of the defenders of the Philippine southern backdoor.
In June 1996, known as Mactan Air Base it was renamed Benito Ebuen Air Base in honor of the PAF Commanding General and the pilot of the ill fated Presidential Plane "Mt. Pinatubo" which was carrying Pres. Ramon Magsaysay that crashed in Mt. Manunggal on 03mar57 killing all 25 aboard. Gen. Ebuen who was also a commander of the 5th Fighter wing was also famous in piloting the famous PAF P-51 Mustang known as the "Shark of Zambales". During World War II, he flew reconnaissance missions for Gen. Jonathan Wainwright before the fall of the Philippines. He then served as a guerrilla in the remainder of the war.
Andrew Air Base, ZAMBOANGA On 06 December 1956, the PAF established a military base on the eastern end of Zamboanga Airport. In 1966, an operational PAF Base was established and named as it is called now in honor of Gen. Edwin Andrew, the First Filipino post war Philippine Air Force Commander and who lost his life when the "Lili Marlene" a C-47 transport plane carrying him and 16 others crashed in Mt. Makaturing, Linao Mindanao on 18 May 1947. Today the Base is very active in supporting air operations with Philippine ground forces in their campaign against the NPA and Muslim rebels operating in the Mindanao, Jolo and the southern Visayas area.
Rajah Buayan Air Base, SOUTH COTOBATO.This is the newest of Philippine Air Force installations and the most southerly based. It now home of the PAF’s 100th Training Wing responsible for the education and training of all PAF personnel, enlisted and officers alike.
Located in Rajah Buayan City, it was named after the Southern Cotobato native leader who led his men, the Buayans in a battle in 1596 and repulsed the first Spanish attempt to colonize Buayan.