Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
A CARDIFF & VALE OF GLAMORGAN CHRONOLOGY

The following chronology covers the main elements of the history of Cardiff & the Vale of Glamorgan and some of the surrounding areas eg the Watford area of Caerphilly, Tongwynlais & Pentyrch mainly for the period up to 1960 with a few later events. It is intended to be of use to people researching their family history in the area, in order to provide a background to their research and maybe some pointers as to why their ancestors lived where they did or moved in or out of the area. It includes the dates of foundation of many of the main organisations in Cardiff, the opening of churches & chapels and some of the Cardiff "Institutions" eg David Morgan's & James Howells' shops, Cardiff Shipping Companies, Theatres, Cinemas, Old Inns & Hotels & Industrial Companies. I realise that it is not exhaustive and undoubtedly Cardiff residents will find that things that they might have included are not in my list. If anyone wants anything added I shall be pleased to consider it if they can give me the details. It is my hope that I will, in any case, be able to make additions in time.

This chronology really needs to be seen in the light of the wider Glamorgan, Wales & National scenes and it is intended shortly to provide a similar Chronology of Glamorgan which will include some of the Cardiff events listed here, but also an outline of the development of the South Wales Coalfield in Glamorgan, the development of Ironworking & Copper Smelting and the Industrial unrest of the 19th century surrounding the Rebecca Riots, Methyr Riots & Chartism.

A Wales timeline is already available via the Glamorgan Help pages and I have produced a Chronology of British History which is available on my website.

In order to find a specific event without reading through the whole list please use the "find" facility of your browser. In this way you should be able to find any references to a particular year or subject.

THE INDEX - PERIOD 1850 - 1960 +

By 1850 = 40% of Britain's iron output was being produced in South Wales

1850 = Poor Law Industrial Training School for Orphaned Children set up in Cardiff

1850 = Cardiff Water Company established to provide water to the town

1850 = Charles Street Wesley Chapel, Cardiff built

18 June 1850 = opening of South Wales Railway - first train from Cardiff to Swansea

1850s = Inn called Clwyd-y-Gurnos on top of Caerphilly Mountain becomes The Black Cock Inn

2 August 1850 = Last mail coach ran from Cardiff

1851 = Admiralty Report declared that South Wales stem coal was the most suitable for use by the Royal Navy. Start of rapid expansion of steam coal industry

1851 = Census of Religious Worship shows the growth of non-conformity in Wales

1851 = Death of George Insole, Coal Owner. Buried St.Margarets, Roath

1851 = Rail link via South Wales Railway between Gloucester, Newport,Cardiff and Swansea

1852 = re-opening of Bute Iron Mines, Llantrisant after long period of closure

1852 = opening of Wesleyan Methodist Chapel at Melingriffith, Whitchurch

1853 = opening of new Town Hall in Cardiff

1853 = St.Johns, Canton opened as chapel of Llandaff Cathedral

1853 = Walter Coffin retired from active control of his businesses to go into politics

1853 = Perforated postage stamps first used in Cardiff

1853 = Electric telegraph to Swansea established

1853 = extension of South Wales Railway to Milford Haven, Pembs.

1853 = completion of the River Taff diversion in Cardiff

1853 = Proposal for a second dock at Cardiff as the Bute West Dock was too small to accommodate the newer, larger ships

1854 = Spillers & Browne set up in Cardiff as corn and flour merchants

1854 = Whilst loading coal at Cardiff Docks Russian & Turkish ships nearly started attacking each other (effect of the Crimean War)

1854 = Wesleyan Day School established in Working Street, Cardiff - William Sanders, Master

1854 = Richard Scudamore, Richard Greaves & Nicholas Strong established a Methodist Meeting Room in Patrick Street, Cardiff Docks

1854 = Rhymney Railway Company incorporated to develop the mineral traffic of the Rhymney Valley

By 1855 = Jacquier set up in business in Cardiff as a photographer using the Daguerrotype system

By 1855 = Danks, Venn & Sanders operating sloops between Cardiff and Newport, Swansea, Bristol, Gloucester Worcester, Bewdley and Stourport

By 1855 = Morgan & Sanders set up a rope-making factory at Cardiff West Dock

By 1855 = British School opened in Millicent Street, Cardiff (Rees Lewis & Miss Jones)

By 1855 = the Queens Hotel in operation in Cardiff

Abt 1855 = Adamsdown House (Nicholl Family home) became Miss Vaughan's Ladies Boarding School.

1855 = First train of Rhondda steam coal sent from Treherbert to Cardiff. Beginning of the Rhondda as the major coal mining area of South Wales

1855 = start of replacement of individual coal ownership by Limited Liability Companies

1855 = Revival of the National Eisteddfod

1855 = re-opening of Mwyndy Iron Mines, Llantrisant after long period of closure

1855 = Charles Street English Congregational Chapel, Cardiff opened

1855 = Ely Racecourse, Cardiff established

1855 = Taff Vale Railway operating from the Rhondda Valley to Cardiff

1855 = opening of Bute East Dock, Cardiff

1855 = Horse buses in operation in Cardiff to a regular half-hour schedule

1855 = Establishment of the Sailors Home in Stuart Street, Cardiff by the Marchioness of Bute

1856 = Loudon Square English Wesleyan Methodist Church,Cardiff built

1856 = Penarth Harbour, Docks & Railway Co. incorporated

17 September 1856 = Loudon Square English Wesleyan Methodist Church, Cardiff opened.

December 1856 = All Saints Church, Tyndall Street, Cardiff opened (Anglican Welsh Church)

1857 = Cardiff Times Newspaper first published

1857 = William Cory & John Nixon bought the steamer "William Cory" for use specifically for the Cardiff Coal Trade. Start of Cory Stemship Co., Cardiff

1857 = Llandaff Cathedral re-opened

1857 = Cardiff, Penarth & Barry Junction Railway opened

1857 = South Wales Instute of Engineers founded with offices in Cardiff

1857 = Llandaff Probate Registry, Cardiff Road, Llandaff built

4 January 1857 = last public execution at Cardiff (John Lewis of Merthyr Tydfil for murdering his wife)

By 1858 = Machen Forge established at Blackweir, Llandaff

1858 = Trustees of the Bute Estate donated Sophia Gardens to the town

1858 = Establishment of Temperance Town in Cardiff

1858 = Rhymney Railway opened.

1858 = Thomas Willliam Booker-Blakemore died. Melin Griffith & Pentyrch Works inherited by his sons

1858 = Rhymney Railway extended to Cardiff

1858 = opening of Jewish Synagogue, East Terrace, Cardiff

1858 = Canton Market set up by private bill

1859 = Cardiff Bridge rebuilt

1859 = First Hansom Cab in Cardiff

1859 = Acquisition of land at Wedal Farm, Cathays for a cemetery. Cathays Cemetery opened.

1859 = Development of Howells School for Girls as a trust of the Drapers Company

1859 = Plymouth Estate began development of Grangetown, Cardiff & Penarth

14 September 1859 = full completion of Bute East Dock, Cardiff

1860 - 1890 = great expansion of Cardiff timber business

By 1860 = Some 50 collieries (mainly in the Aberdare & Merthyr Tydfil areas) had offices in the docks area of Cardiff

Bef 1860 = Crown Patent Fuel Company set up at Blackweir, Cardiff for manufacture of coal briquettes

1860 = Zoar Welsh Baptist Chapel, Cardiff opened

1860 = Principality Buildong Society, Cardiff founded by William Sanders

1860 = Offices of Taff Vale Railway opened in Crockerton, Cardiff

1860 = Cardiff Pilotage Board established under the Bristol Channel Pilotage Act

1861 = Eagle Foundry established in Llandaff

1861 = removal of the Gild Hall, Cardiff

1861 = All Saints Church, Adamsdown, Cardiff opened

1861 = Salem Welsh Baptist Chapel, Adamsdown, Cardiff opened

1861 = St.Peter's Catholic Church, Cardiff opened

1861 = Bute Warehouse, Bute East Dock built

By 1863 = Cardiff Rope Works set up in Grangetown by Verity & Coward

By 1863 = Gloucester Wagon Co works set up at Cardiff docks

By 1863 = John Bland & Co.set up its timber business in Cardiff

By 1863 = Royal Arcade, Cardiff (the first of several arcades in Cardiff) built

By 1863 = A second British School opened in Mountstuart Square, Cardiff

By 1863 = A Wesleyan School opened in Working Street, Cardiff (Mr.Sanders & Miss Lewis)

By 1863 = Catholic Schools set up in David Street & Plwcca Lane, Cardiff

1863 = St.Andrews Church, Cardiff built as a chapel of ease to St.John's

1863 = Llanharry Iron Mine operating

1863 = first Cardiff built steam ship (The Lady Bute) launched by the Bute Docks Steam Shipbuilding Co.

By 1864 = Latter Day Saints meeting room in Cardiff

1864 = Penarth Harbour, Dock & Railway leased to Taff Vale Railway Co.

4 November 1864 = Glamorgan County Asylum opened at Angleton, Bridgend

By 1865 = James Howell's shop set up in Cardiff (Department Store)

1865 = First Cardiff Registered, Cardiff owned ship "Llandaff" purchased by H.Vellacott from Tyneside builders.

1865 = Railway Hotel, Cardiff opened

1865 = Bethel Welsh Baptist Chapel, Mountstuart Square, Cardiff opened

1865 = Temperance Hall, Wood Street, Cardiff used as Music Hall

1865 = Science and Art School established in Cardiff

1865 = Marquis of Bute appointed William Burges as architect for the restoration of Cardiff Castle

1865 = Barry Railway incorporated but never built.

1865 = first meeting of Bethel English Baptist church, Whitchurch

1865 = Penarth Graving Dock set up by John Batchelor

1865 = Telegraphic communication became available in Cardiff

1865 = The Ham, Llantwit Major built for the Nicholl family

1866 = Establishment of Cardiff and County Club, Westgate Street, Cardiff

1866 = opening of new St.Augustine's Church, Penarth

1866 = Hamadryad Hospital for Seamen established at Cardiff

1866 = opening of Tabernacle Calvanistic Methodist chapel in Whitchurch

1866 = first General Post Office building in Cardiff built in St.Mary Street

1866 = Cardiff Chamber of Commerce established

1867 = Ely Paper Mill (Brown & Evans) started production

1867 = W.Frank (from Malton, Yorks) set up in business as a sweet manufacturer in Cardiff andgradually opened shops and stalls all over Cardiff

1867 = Parliamentary Reform Act lead to working-class householders in towns having the right to vote

1867 = Hannah Street Congregational Chapel, Docks, Cardiff built

1867 = All Saints Church, Adamsdown, Cardiff became separate parish church

1867 = Cardiff Cricket Club formed at a meeting at the Angel Hotel with Cardiff Arms Park as its ground (given at a peppercorn rent by the Marquis of Bute)

1868 = Charles Stalleybrass bought the "Leckwith" and founded his shipping company based at Cardiff

1868 = Radical Nonconformist Liberals won many Parliamentary seats in Wales. Beginning of Liberal domination of Welsh politics

8 December 1868 = John Stuart, 3rd Marquis of Bute, Lord Cardiff converted to Roman Catholicism

1868 = Cardiff Union Poor House built in Canton Road, Cardiff

1869 = See of Llandaff obtained Llandaff Court for use as the Bishop's Palace (Llys Esgob)

1869 = amagamation of Bristol Steam Navigation Co and Cardiff Steam Navigation Co to operate daily passenger and cargo service betwen Cardiff and Bristol

1869 = Completion of restoration of Llandaff Cathedral by John Prichard & Seddon

March 1869 = Meeting at Neath to start a Glamorganshire Cricket XI

1 May 1869 = Western Mail first published

1869 - 71 = St.Margaret's Church, Roath re-built at a cost of 6.000 (Designed by John Pritchard)

1870 - Methodist School established in Guildford Street, Cardiff

1870 = Education Act. Primary education started to become available to most children

1870 = Atlas Engineering Works established in Canton, Cardiff

1870 = Education Act established State Education system. Appointment of Cardiff School Board.

July 1870 = Re-built St.Margaret's Church, Roath consecrated

1870s = Iron Mining started at Trecastle, Llanharry

1870s = Hilary Blondel Marquand arrived in Cardiff from Guernsey and went into Cardiff shipping (later Care & Marquand)

1872 = John Cory arrived in Cardiff from Padstow, Cornwall to found his shipping company -(Cory Bros.)

1872 = St.Peters Catholic School, Roath built

1872 = Completion of Cardiff Castle Clock Tower

1873 = Plymouth Bretheren meeting room in Cardiff

By 1873 = The Institution for the Blind established in Newport Road, Cardiff

2 October 1873 = The Atlantic Steamship Co. Of Cardiff launched the S S Glamorgan as a mail packet ship carrying passengers and cargo to New York. Later joined by the Pembroke and the Carmarthen

1873 = Formation of South Wales Coalowners Association

1873 = St.Pauls Church, Grangetown opened as chapel of St.Johns, Canton, Cardiff

1874 = Remodelling of Castell Coch, Tongwynlais commenced

1874 = opening of the Roath Basin at Cardiff

1874/5 = Private Act of Parliament to bring Canton within the Borough of Cardiff

By 1875 = Edward Lee set up in business in Cardiff taking colour photographs

By 1875 = Two further Catholic Schools set up in Wyndham Crescent and Grangetown, Cardiff

By 1875 = Further National Schools set up in Cathays, Maindy, Canton & Grangetown, Cardiff

By 1875 = Baptist School set up in the Parade, Cardiff

By 1875 = Llandaff Engineering Works established at Gwaun Treoda, Whitchurch

1875 = Quaker Meeting House established in Charles Street, Cardiff

1875 = ironworks established in Grangetown, Cardiff

1876 = Philip & Thomas Morel, from Jersey, acquired their first stamship and set up Morel Bros., Shipping Company, Cardiff

1876 = Founding of Cardiff Rugby Football Club

1876 = Great Western Railway & Rhymney Railway jointly built the Taff- Bargoed line

1877 = Philip & Lewis Turnbull of Whitby, Yorks. Came to Cardiff to look after the Cardiff branch of their father's shipping company - Thomas Turnbull & Co., Whitby

1877 = Ely Paper Mill, Cardiff taken over by Thomas Owen as Thomas Owen & Co.

1877 = first public telephone service in Cardiff

1877 = Old Cemetery, Adamsdown, Cardiff closed

1877 = Empire Theatre opened in Queen St., Cardiff

1877 = Opening of the Philharmonic Hall, Cardiff

1877 = Cardiff Bridge widened

1877 = Theatre Royal, Cardiff destroyed by fire

1878 = New Theatre Royal opened in Wood Street, Cardiff

1878 = Opening of first local authority elementary school in Cardiff

1878 = Cardiff Arms Hotel demolished

1879 = David Morgan's shop set up in Cardiff (Department Store)

1879 = Melingriffith Works went into liquidation

By 1880 = Glamorgan Wagon Works set up at East Moors, Cardiff

By 1880 = Bristol Wagon Works set up a branch at East Moors, Cardiff

Abt 1880 = Hope Baptist Church, Cowbridge Road, Canton opened

1880 = Royal Hotel, Cardiff established

1880 = Windsor Gardens, Penarth opened

1880 = Grand Theatre, Westgate Street, Cardiff opened

1880 = Foundation stone laid for new Cardiff Free Library

1880 = Initial opening of Cardiff Arms Park

1880 = 14 shipowners operating in Cardiff

1880 = Cardiff Shipowners Association formed

1880 = Broadway Methodist Church, Roath opened

1880s = Melingriffith Works taken over by Cardiff Iron & Tinplate Co. Pentyrch Iron Works closed down

By 1881 = opening of the Cardiff Junction Dry Dock

1881 = Solomon Andrews started his furniture removal business in Cardiff (eventually became part of Pickfords)

1881 = Establishment of Penarth Yacht Club

1881 = Welsh Sunday Closing Act. Public Houses closed on Sundays

28 June 1881 = birth of John Crichton-Stuart, eldest son of the 3rd Marquis of Bute, Lord Cardiff by Gwendolen Mary (Howard)

1882 = Philip & Lewis Turnbull founded their own shipping company (later Turnbull Bros.) in Cardiff

1882 = Morel Bros. took over Bute Shipbuilding, Engineering & Dry Dock Co., Cardiff

1882 = Roath Harriers formed (Wales' oldest athletics club until it became part of Cardiff Athletic Club in 1968)

1882 = old Angel Inn, Castle Street, Cardiff converted to Bute Estate Office

1882 = Park Hotel, Cardiff built

1882 = Roath Harriers (Running Club) formed

May 1882 = opening of new Cardiff Free Library

1883 = St.Germans Church opened in Splott, Cardiff

1883 = Llantrisant & Cowbridge lost their Borough status

1883 = New Cardiff Royal Infirmary opened

1883 = Founding of the University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire in Newport Rd., Cardiff

1883 = North Transept of St.Margaret's Church, Roath converted into a mausoleum by the Marquis of Bute for his family.

1884 = Mwyndy Iron Mine, Llantrisant closed

1884 = Cadiff Market Hall re-built by Solomon Andrews

1884 = Office of Town Clerk of Cardiff became full-time appointment

1884 = first public electricity supply made available in Cardiff by Anglo-American Brush Co.

1884 = Founding of William Hancock's Brewery, Crawshay Street, Cardiff

1884 = St.Andrews Church, Cardiff became a separate parish church

1884 = St.Catherines Church opened as chapel of St.Johns, Cardiff

1884 = First Rugby International played at Cardiff Arms Park (Wales v Ireland)

14 August 1884 = Barry Dock & Railways Act received Royal Assent to build a railway from Barry Dock to the Rhondda Valley

1885 = Cardiff Market Hall destroyed by fire

1885 = Joshua John Neale & Henry West started a fishmongery business in Custom House Street, Cardiff

1885 = Bute Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Co. incorporated in Cardiff

1885 = Park Hall, Cardiff built

1885 = first local authority High School opened in Cardiff

1885 = Canton, Ely & Waungron commons sold to Corporation of Cardiff

1886 = Severn Tunnel opened to allow direct rail connection between Cardiff/Newport/.Swansea and Bristol

1885 = Ephraim Turner (from Merthyr Tydfil) founded E.Turner & Sons, Builders in Cardiff

1886 = Establishment of The Exchange Club, Cardiff

1886 = New Cardiff Market opened by Solomon Andrews

1886 = Founding of William Lewis & Sons, Coach Builders, Cardiff

1886 = Cardiff Exchange opened for stockbroking business

1886 = St.Davids Catholic Church re-built in Charles Street, Cardiff

1886 = Cardiff Waxworks established

1886 = Bute Docks Railway incorporated (later Cardiff Railway)

1887 = Cardiff Iron & Tinplate Co. went into liquidation

1887 = opening of the Esplanade Hotel, Penarth

1887 = Levino's Hall, Queen St., Cardiff opened (later The Empire)

1887 = Turner House Gallery, Penarth built to house the art collection of Major James Pyke Thompson

1887 = Roath Dock, Cardiff opened

1887 = new Taff Vale Railway station opened in Queen Street, Cardiff

1887 = Penarth Harbour, docks & Railway Co. opened from Penarth to Lavernock

1888 = Joshua John Neale & Henry West set up Neale & West Trawler Co.

1888 = Melingriffith Works, Whitchurch bought by Richard Thomas. The Melingriffith Co.Ltd formed

1888 = Dowlais Iron Works set up at East Moors, Cardiff

1888 = Royal Hotel, Barry opened

1888 = St.Saviours Church opened as a chapel of St.Germans, Cardiff

6 July 1888 = Glamorgan County Cricket Club formed at the Angel Hotel, Cardiff

1888/9 = Llanedeyrn Church renovated.

1889 = St.Dyfrigs Church built as a chapel of St.Mary's, Cardiff

1889 = New Trinity English Congregational Church, Cowbridge Road, Canton opened to replace the old Trinity Chapel which had been in Womanby Street, Cardiff

1889 = Welsh Intermediate Education Act. Start of secondary education in Wales

1889 = Barry Railway Station opened for passengers

1889 = Stoll Theatre Group took over Levino's Hall, Queen St. and renamed it the Empire Palace of Varieties

18 July 1889 = Official opening of Barry Dock

By 1890 = Industrial & Ragged School set up on HMS Havannah moored in Penarth Roads, off Cardiff

By 1890 = Mountstuart Shipbuilding, Graving Dock and Engineering Co, Cardiff. established

1890 = opening of Clarence Bridge to connect the docks with Grangetown, Cardiff

1890 = National Bank of Wales established in Cardiff

1890 = Empire Music Hall, Cardiff opened

1890 = Barry Hotel built

1890 = Dock & Railway Strike

1890 = Establishment of Cardiff Technical School

1890 = Spillers & Co. amalgamated with William Baker & Son of Bristol to become Spillers & Bakers Ltd., Flour Mills

1890 = 90 shipowners operating in Cardiff

1890 = The Mackintosh of Mackintosh presented Plasnewydd, Roath (House) to the tenants of his estate for social-leisure use (later became the Mackintosh Institute)

By 1891 = Barry Island started to be used as a holiday resort

1891 = Dowlais Works opened two furnaces at its Cardiff works for production of steel and plate

1891 = The Grove, West Grove, Cardiff built for James Howell (owner of the Department Store) (later the Mansion House)

1891 = Welsh Church of St.David's opened in Cardiff

1891 = St.James Church, Roath opened as chapel of St.Johns, Cardiff

1891 = Barry Dock (Culleys) Hotel opened

1891 = First visit of Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show to Cardiff

1891= Closure of Trecastle Iron Mine, Llanharry

1891 = Cardiff Market Hall re-built

1891 = Charles Thompson opened Thomson Park, Canton to the public (free)

1891 = New Beulah Chapel opened in Rhiwbina

1891 = opening of the Seamans Church & Institute, Docks, Cardiff

1892 = Philharmonic Hall became Stoll's Panopticon

1892 = The Vale of Glamorgan Agricultural Society replaced the Glamorgan Agricultural Society

1893 = Marine Hotel, Barry opened

1893 = St.Saviours Church, Cardiff became a separate parish church

1893 = Dyffryn House, St.Nicholas built for Cory family

1893 = Commercial Graving Dock, Barry opened

1893 = P & A Campbell Ltd set up in Bristol to run passenger steamers in the Bristol Channel, operating for many years from Bristol, Cardiff, Barry, Penarth, Newport & Swansea to Ilfracombe, Weston-super-Mare, Minehead, Clevedon, Lundy Island & the Holmes.

By 1894 = Salvation Army established at Stuart Hall, Cardiff

By 1894 = establishment, in Cardiff, of a branch of Glass, Elliott & Co. Wire Rope Makers

1894 = first Council owned electricity generating station set up in Cardiff

1894 = Vale of Glamorgan Railway from Barry to Bridgend commenced

1894 = Barry Council appointed first inspector of bathing and pleasure boats.

1894 = St.Pauls Church, Grangetown, Cardiff became a separate parish church

1894 = St.Catherines Church, Cardiff became a separate parish church

1894 = Roath Park acquired by the City from the Bute Estate

1895 = Waterloo Gardens givn to the City by Lord Tredegar

1895 = J.T.Duncan set up in business in Cardif as a shipowner

1895 = Penarth Pier opened

1895 = H J Cridland started their road haulage business in Cardiff(later running Coaches & Hire Cars as well)

1895 = Cardiff Eye & Ear Hospital established

1895 = First running of Welsh Grand National (horse race) at Ely, Cardiff

1895 = proposal to build a further dock at Cardiff (the Queen Alexandra Dock)

1895 = St.Dyfrigs Church, Cardiff became a separate parish church

1896 = Cardiff Fine Art, Industrial and Maritime Exhibition

1896 = Spillers Nephews Biscuit Factory established in Moorland Road, Splott, Cardiff

1896 = Barry Island Railway Station opened

1896 = Empire Palace of Varieties , Queen St., Cardiff re-built

1897 = opening of Victoria Park, Canton, Cardiff

1897 = W.J.Tatem (from Appledore, Devon) set up Lady Lewis Steamship Co., Cardiff

1897 = Glamorgan CCC admitted to the English Minor County Cricket Championships

1897 = City purchased Llandaff Fields

1897 = Bute Docks Railway changed its name to Cardiff Railway

1897 = New General Post Office built in Westgate Street, Cardiff

January 1897 = W.Duncan of Barry was the first casualty of a car accident in Wales when his foot was run over !

14 December 1897 = Cardiff City Council bought Cathays Park from Marquis of Bute to establish the new Civic Centre

1898 = Cardiff Tramway commenced operation

1898 = Canton Male Choir (later Cardiff Male Choir) formed at Barley Mow pub, Canton

1898 = Formation of Grangetown Baseball Club marked the beginnin of the popularity of Baseball in Cardiff

1898 = Romilly Park, Barry acquired for a nominal rent from the Romilly Estate and opened to the public by Barry Council

May 1898 = Lance Corporal Samuel Vickery of Canton, Cardiff awarded the Victoria Cross for conspicuous bravery in the Sudan

1899 = St.Martins Church, Roath opened

1899 = Barry Pier Railway Station opened

1899 = Riverside Association Football Club formed in Cardiff

August 1899 = death of 3rd Marquis of Bute

31 October 1899 = Empire Theatre, Cardiff burned down (subsequently rebuilt)

1899 = The Grange Farm, Cathays demolished - Gladstone Rd. School built on site

1899 = National Eisteddfod of Wales held in Cathays Park, Cardiff. The Gorsedd Circle erectedfor the Eisteddfod still remains in the area, although on a different site.

1900 = Glamorgan CCC first won the English Minor County Cricket Championship

1900 = St.Stephens Church opened as chapel of St.Mary's, Cardiff

1900 = New site at Cathays Park assigned to the University College

1900 = Amalgamation of Dowlais Iron Co. with Keen & Co. of Birmingham as Guest, Keen & Co.

1900 = Empire Theatre, Queen St, Cardiff re-built

1901 = Trinity Wesleyan Methodist Church, Penarth opned

1901 = Site of Splott Park donated to the City by Lord Tredegar

1901 = Foundations laid for new Cardiff Town Hall in Cathays Park

1901 = Roath Electric Power Station, Cardiff built

1901 = John Cory's Sailors' & Soldiers' Rest opened in Bute Street, Cardiff

29 July 1901 = Barry's first lifeboat the "John Wesley" presented to the RNLI by the Wesleyan Methodist Connexion

1902 = St.Johns Church, Canton became separate parish church

1902 = Alexandra Park, Penarth opened

1902 = Amagamation of Guest, Keen & Co. with Nettlefolds Ltd to form Guest, Keen & Nettlefolds (GKN)

1 May 1902 = Official opening of Cardiff Electric Tramways

1903 = Edward Nicholl (from Redruth, Cornwall) set up the Hall Line, Shipping Company, Cardiff

1903 = First Taff Vale Railway railcar used on Cowbridge-Aberthaw & Cardiff - Cadoxton-juxta-Barry lines

1903 = First use of railcars by Barry Railway on Vale of Glamorgan line

1903 = Whitchurch Mental Hospital opened

1903 = First Barry Island bathing pool built at Whitmore Bay

1904 = W.H.Seager of Cardiff set up W.H.Seager Steamship Co.Ltd, Cardiff

1904/5 = spread of Religious Revival in Wales

1905 = William Reardon Smith (from Appledore, Devon) set up in business as Reardon Smith Line, Shipping Co, Cardiff

1905 = The Seamen's Instiute, Dock View Rd., Barry opened

1905 = Opening of The General Post Office, Barry

1905 = Wales defeated New Zealand All Blacks in rugby international in Cardiff

1905 = Barry Customs & Mercantile Marine offices opened

1905 = Joseph Rank's Atlantic Flour Mill, No 2 Dock, Barry commenced production

1905 = Cardiff declared a City and Cardiff City Hall opened in Cathays Park

1905 = RiversideAssociation Football Club and Riverside Albions Football Club amalgamated to form Cardiff City Association Football Club

1905 = Victoria Park, Cardiff opened

1906 = The Law Courts in Cathays Park, Cardiff opened

1906 = Albert Road Methodist Church, Penarth opened

10 December 1906 = opening of the New Theatre, Cardiff

1907 = Founding of the National Museum of Wales

1907 = Frederick Jones of Adamsdown, Cardiff started the Melrose Abbey SteamshipCo., Cardiff

1907 = St.Michael's Theological Ciollege transferred from Aberdare to Llandaff

1907 = Office of Prior of Wales of the Order of the Hospital of St.John created

1907 = King Edward VII Avenue in Cathays Park, Cardiff opened by the King

July 1907 = opening of the Queen Alexandra Dock, Cardiff by King Edward VII & Queen Alexandra

1908 = New purpose built Barry Council Offices, Holton Rd. opened

1908 = opening of J.R.Freeman cigar factory in Cardiff

1908 = Grangetown Baseball Club became Grange Albion Baseball Club

1908 = First Baseball International match played in Cardiff

1908 = American Roller Rink (Roller Skating) opened in Westgate Street, Cardiff (demolished 1922 and re-erected in Ely)

1908 = Opening of Whitchurch Mental Hospital

1909 = spread of Independent Working Class Education Movement in South Wales

1909 = Opening of University College of South Wales and Monmouthshire building in Cathays Park, Cardiff

1909 = Wyndham Park (or Glyn Cory Garden Village), Peterston-super-Ely established by John & Reginald Cory

20 November 1909 = Unveiling of the South African War Memorial in Cathays Park, Cardiff by General Sir John French

1910 = W.J.Tatem set up Tatem Steam Navigation Co.Ltd, Cardiff

1910 = "Peerless" Jim Driscoll of Cardiff won his first boxing Lonsdale Belt

1910 = Gorsedd Gardens, Cathays Park, Cardiff opened (containing the Gorsedd Circle originally erected for the National Eisteddfod of 1899)

1910 = Llanishen Baptist Church, Melbourne Rd., Llanishen opened

15 June 1910 = Captain Scott set out from Cardiff in the "Terra Nova" in his attempt to reach the South Pole

July 1910 = Theatre Royal, Barry opened

1 September 1910 =Opening football match at Ninian Park Football Ground between Cardiff City and Aston Villa

1911 = St.Lukes Church, Cardiff became a separate parish church

1911 = Clifton Picture House, Clifton St., Cardiff opened

1911 - The Carlton Restaurant opened in Queen Street, Cardiff on the site of the Masons Arms Hotel

1911 = Central Cinema, Cardiff opened at The Hayes

1912 = Cardiff Coal & Shipping Exchange opened in Mountstuart Square, Cardiff

1912 = Commencement of building of Rhiwbina Garden Village by Cardiff Workers' Co-operative Garden Village Society Ltd.

1912 = Charles Thompson gave the freehold of Thompson Park, Canton to the City.

1912 = St.Stephens Church, Cardiff became a separate parish church

1912 = Glamorgan County Hall opened in Cathays Park, Cardiff

1912 = Thompson's Switchback Railway Co.Ltd. opened the "Figure 8" at Barry Island which later became the centre piece of the Barry Fairground

1912 = Foundation stone laid for the National Museum of Wales Building in Cathays Park, Cardiff

By 1913 = 10.5 million tons of steam coal per year being exported from Cardiff which had become the largest coal exporting port in the world

1913 = opening of Treforest School of Mines. The first mining management training school in Wales

1913 = 11 million tons of coal exported from Barry

1913 = Splott Cinema, Cardiff opened

1913 = The Grand Theatre, Cardiff became the Hippodrome Picture Palace

1913 = over 15000 sailings by ships from Cardiff, Barry & Penarth

1914 = Foundation stone laid for new Ararat Baptist Chapel, Whitchurch

1914 = Glamorgan Residential Training College for Women Students opened at Buttrills Hill, Barry

1914 = Penylan Cinema, Cardiff opened (later renamed the Globe)

1914 to 1918 = First World War - Cardiff dry docks used extensively for the maintenance of the country's shipping

1915 = Sir Sven Hansen started the Hansen Shipping Co., Cardiff

1916 = Establishment of Cardiff Technical College

1916 = Completion of the new Cardiff Technical College in Cathays Park

1917 = Sir Sven Hansen took over Edward Nicholl's Hall Line Shipping Co.of Cardiff

1918 = Stoll's Panopticon re-opened after the War as the Pavilion Picture Theatre

1918 = W.J.Tatem created Baron Glanely of St.Fagans

1918 = E.T.Willows of Cardiff set up in business manufacturing Balloon Airships

1919 = Charles Leigh Clay (from Chepstow, Mon.) started the Claymore Shipping Co., Cardiff

1919 = Liberty Motors Ltd, Canton (Bus Company) started in business

1919 = Idwal Williams of Cardiff set up the Graig Shipping Co., Cardiff

1920 = Theatre Royal, Cardiff renamed the Playhouse

By 1920 = 120 Cardiff Shipping companies in operation owning 1.5million gross tons of shipping. Cardiff became the greatest steamship owning centre in the World

1920 = William Rardon Smith created a Baronet

1920 = first Cardiff Motor Bus

1920 = Foundation of South Wales Commercial Motors (Bus Company)

1921 = World's first Radio concert broadcast from Cardiff Wireless College

1921 = Glamorgan CCC admitted to the English County Cricket Championships

1921 = opening of the Capitol Theatre, Queen St., Cardiff

1922 = Caerphilly Miners Hospital established at Watford, Caerphilly

1922 = North Gateway of Cardiff Castle rebuilt

1922 = Taff Vale Railway, Barry Railway, Penarth Harbour Railway & Rhymney Railway absorbed by the Great Western Railway

1922 = Llandaff, Llanishen & Lisvane brought within the boundaries of Cardiff

1923 = Properties on North side of Duke Street, Cardiff demolished in order to reduce traffic congestion.

1923 = Parade Gardens, Barry laid out.

1923 = Completion of Rhiwbina Garden Village, Cardiff

1924 = Opening of the Western Shelter & Shops, Barry Island

1924 = Start of Barry Island Fairground by White Bros.

1924 = Turnbull Coal & Shipping Co., Cardiff established by Cyril & Bernard Turnbull, sons of Lewis Turnbull of the Turnbull Bros. Shipping Co., Cardiff

1926 = Captain George Buchanen Bailey (son of C.H.Bailey, owner of C.H.Baileys Dry Dock Co.) set up the St.Quentin Shipping Co. at Newport, Mon

1926 = Barry Central Housing Estate built around Alexandra Gardens under influence of the Garden City Movement

1926 = Barry Shipping Co., Cardiff set up with Richard George Meredith Street (of Penarth) as Managing Director

1926 = Italian Gardens, Penarth opened

May 1926 = Cold Knapp (Barry) Marine Bathing Pool opened

21 April 1927 = Opening of the National Museum of Wales, Cathays Park, Cardiff by King George V.

23 April 1927 = Cardiff City Football Club won the FA Cup (Beat Arsenal 1 - 0)

1927 = First hunger march from South Wales

1927 = Establishment of Glamorgan Wanderers Club, Wyndham Arcade, Cardiff

1928 = Opening of the Esplanade, Barry Island

1928 = Opening of Cardiff Speedway and Geyhound Track in Sloper Rd., Cardiff

1928 = Plaza Cinema, North Road, Cardiff opened 1928 = Welsh National War Memorial, Alexandra Gardens, Cardiff opened by Prince of Wales

1928 = Bindles Dance Hall and Restaurant, Cold Knapp, Barry opened

1929 = South Wales Commercial Motors took over the bus services operatedby the Great Western Railway to form Western Welsh Omnibus Co. Ltd.

1929 = Constant Bros (South Wales) Ltd, shipping company set up in Cardiff (subsidiary of Kent Company)

1929 = openin of the Pavilion at Penarth pier

1929 = Foundation of St.Patrick's Catholic Church, Grangetown, Cardiff

1929 = Establishment of Charles M. Willie & Co., Cardiff - shipowners (Celtic Line)

1930 = Amagamation of GKN with Baldwins Ltd to form Guest, Keen & Baldwins Iron & Steel Co.

1930 = Establishment of Cardiff Airport at Pengam Moors.(closed 1954)

1930 = Pat Collins of Walsall, Staffs. took over Barry Island Fairground from White Bros. And developed it into Barry Island Amusement Park

1931 = Cardiff Bridge widened

1932 = Opening of Reardon Smith Lecture Theatre in Cathays Park, Cardiff

1932 = Opening of Barry Memorial Hall in memory of the 700 Barrians who had been killed in the First World War

1932 = Jack Peterson of Cardiff won the British Heavyweight Boxing Championship

28 January 1933 = Founding of B & S Shipping Co., Cardiff from amalgamation of Barry Shipping Co. & St.Quentin Shipping Co.

1933 = Empire Theatre became a cinema

1933 = Barry Yacht Club opened

1933 = Barry Island seafront illuminated for the first time

1934 = Opening of Llandough Hospital at Llandough-juxta-Penarth

1935 = The Playhouse, Cardiff renamed The Prince of Wales Theatre

1935 = GKN transferred rolling mills and finishing dept. from Rogerstone, Newport, Mon to Cardiff

1936 = B & S Shipping Co., Cardiff took delivery of three modern passenger carrying steamers which formed the nucleus of the South American Saint Line, Cardiff

1936 = opening of the Odeon Cinema, Queen St., Cardiff

1936 = opening of Sully Hospital

1936 = Spillers Flour Mill, Roath Dock, Cardiff erected

1937 = Rumney became part of Cardiff

1938 = Opening of the Temple of Peace and Health in Cathays Park, Cardiff

1938 = Opening of the Welsh Board of Health Office in Cathays Park, Cardiff

1939 = Horse Racing ended at Ely Racecourse, Cardiff

1939 = Barry Island Scenic Railway opened at the Barry Amusement Park

1941 = Llandaff Cathedral destroyed by enemy bomb

1942 = First Trolley Buses ran in Cardiff

1946 = St.Fagans Castle given to the National Museum of Wales by the Earl of Plymouth

25 April 1947 = death of 4th Marquis of Bute

September 1947 = 5th Marquis of Bute gave Cardiff Castle and its estate to the city.

1948 = Opening of Welsh Folk Museum at St.Fagans Castle

1948 = Trolley Buses replaced Tramcars in Cardiff

1948 = Glamorgan CCC first won the English County Cricket Championship

1950 = Establishment by GKN of new wire rod mill at Tremorfa, Cardiff

1950 = Part of St.Melons incorporated within Cardiff

20 February 1950 = Last Tramcar in Cardiff

1953 = Trelai Park, Ely, Cardiff opened

1954 - Empire Cinema renamed the Gaumont

1954 = Cardiff (Rhoose) Airport opened (later Cardiff International Airport)

1955 = Cardiff became, by Royal Decree, Capital City of Wales

1955 = Colchester Avenue Industial Estate, Cardiff started

14 August 1956 = death of 5th Marquis of Bute

1957 = Closure of the Prince of Wales Theatre, Cardiff

1957 = closure of Melingriffith Works, Whitchurch

1957 = Llandaff Cathedral re-opened

1958 = Llandaff Court became the new home for Llandaff Cathedral School

1958 = Empire Pool (swimming pool) opened in Cardiff in preparation for Empire Games

July 1958 = British Empire & Commonwealth Games held at Cardiff

July 1958 = HM The Queen announced that Prince Charles had been created Prince of Wales

1959 = P & A Campbell's White Funnel Fleet of pleasure paddle steamers went into receivership

1959 = Airoplane crashed in North Road, Cardiff killing four people

1960 = P & A Campbell resumed operation of pleasure steamers in the Bristol Channel

4 December 1960 = Disastrous flooding in Cardiff, particularly Canton & Gabalfa

1961 = Opening of Cardiff College of Advanced Technology in Cathays Park

1962 = Gaumont Cinema closed

1962 = New wire nail manufacturing unit added to GKN's Tremorfa Works, Cardiff

1963 = Severe snow storms in Cardiff & other parts of Glamorgan

September 1968 = old St.Mark's Church, Gabalfa demolished to make way for the buildingof Gabalfa Flyover road

1976 = James Callaghan MP for Cardiff became Prime Minister of Great Britain

1979 = final demise of P & A Campbell's pleasure steamers in the Bristol Channel

1980 = old Broadway Methodist Church became a Mosque