Spicy Rhubarb and Berries Compote
2 cups rhubarb, chopped to 2-cm pieces
1 cup strawberries, sliced
0.5 cup blueberries
0.5 cup blackberrries
1 rind orange peel, sliced to very thin slices
0.5 cup sugar
2 cup water
2 tablespoons brandy
2 2-inch cinnamon sticks
1 2-inch pared gingeroot, sliced
6 whole cloves
2 green cardamon grains
1. Place spices in a small saucepan; add water and sugar and cook over high heat,
stirring frequently, until sugar is dissolved. Keep boiling but without stirring for 5 minutes.
2. Turn the heat off. Cool the mixture slightly. Pour the mixture into a container over a sieve.
Discard the boiled spices.
3. Place the rhubarb, strawberries, berries and orange peels in a glass bowl. Pour the still hot mixture over
the fruits. Add brandy and gently stir to combine.
4. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate to about 2 hours.
5. Serve cold (with optional whipped cream or vanilla yogurt).
Reference: Weight Watchers, Quick Success Program Cookbook,
Jean Nidetch, Penguin Books Canada Limited, 1988
Rhubarb and Strawberry Compote
475g (4 cups) chopped rhubarb
110 g (1 / 2 cup) sugar
2 tbsp water
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
250g (2 cups) sliced strawberries
1. In a saucepan, combine rhubarb (pieces cut in 2 cm), sugar, water and grated fresh ginger.
2. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes or until rhubarb is tender.
3. Remove from heat and add sliced strawberries. Mix.
4. Serve hot or cold.
Option: Served with plain yogurt or vanilla iced milk.
Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 20 to 25 minutes
Source: Translation of a recipe in Chatelaine magazine (17 May 2010)