Erie Cemetery History Project
George Washington Olinger, Jr. (1869-1941)
George Washington Olinger, Jr., was born February 19, 1869, in Portland Township, the son of George W. and Sarah Wilt Olinger. He was married to Allie Hamilton and they had two sons, but his wife died soon after the birth of their second son.
Mr. Olinger was married to Louise Slocum on September 29, 1896. Together they had six children, all of whom are buried in Erie Cemetery.
Mr. Olinger farmed in the area. He also had a wagon- and buggy-building shop near the Erie Triangle prior to the July 3rd Fire of 1897.
He ran a sawmill near the 1200 block of Main Street, between the street and the railroad tracks, and operated a sorghum mill at the same location in the 1930s. He also had a woodworking shop near the depot.
(In his book "Remembering Erie," Cliff Reisenbigler writes about Mr. Olinger and his sawmill and workshop.)
Using oak wood cut from Lathes Island, Mr. Olinger built his own casket, and stored it in the back of his shop. He was buried in it following his death on June 11, 1941.
(Information from Gloria Scott)