~~ last updated: 2/23/04 ~~
|T453 Parent Handbook
|Eagle COH Support
|Subsidize Adult Leader
Eagle COH support policy
Gift to each Eagle Scout
- troop sponsor the district dinner: $50.00
- troop pays for Eagle neckchief, Eagle neckchief slide: $30.00
- troop pays for the flag: $15.00
- troop pays for the troop plate name tag: $5.00
- troop support for Eagle COH expense: $50.00
- * This way the troop is giving each Eagle scout an memorable event or souvenirs instead of a flat check.
- Troop sponsor for up to 2 adult leaders on the district dinner contribution: $45.00/leader
- The adult leaders could be nominated by troop and eagle scout family.
Studies show boys don't join Boy Scout because
there were never asked. They also don't know how,
where, or when to join. Boys who do become Scuts did
so because someone , usually a friend, invited them.
Scouts can be the best recruiters for the BSA, and
Troop leaders should encourage their efforts. 2 tools
are for our boy-to-boy recruiting.
Scout Recruiter Patch
- The Scout Recruiter Patch is a program provided by the national office. Any scout who recruits a friend into the program from Sept 1 to Dec. 31, 2003 wil earn the patch. "Additional free patches are available through our local council.
- The Souting for Fun Troop Adventure Viewer CD is a new tool Scouts cn use to get their non-scouting friends interested in the program. He can use it to create his own activity slide show and email it to his friends. We can copy this CD and distribute it to our scouts and their friends.
Subsidize Adult Leader Policy
- Major event: any troop event that the majority of attending boys travel by airplane and the expense of an adult trip is less than $1000.
- Expensive major event: any troop event that the expense of an adult is $1000 or higher. (The expense includes air and ground transportation, camp fee. It doesn't include any expense that the adult has control of, such as the food expense while in the group sightseeing time).
- Trained adult leader: an adult who finished Basic Adult Training class.
- As required by BSA, minimum 2 adult leaders are required to go with boys for any troop event, no matter the number of boys attending the event.
(The rational of this requirement is to have a backup adult, in case one of them got sick in the trip.)
- T453 requires boys-adult ratio to be, roughly, 8-1.
(P1) Proposal for subsidizing adult leaders attending major event
M1. For scout master position, troop will subsidize 50% of his/her expense, upto $300.
M2. For other adult leaders, troop will subsidize 50% of his/her expense, upto $100.
M3. Troop will only subsize the expense of required number of adult leaders.
M4. The remaining expense for the required adults are to be shared by the attending boys.
M5. If troop has abundant budget and would like to subsidize more for the attending adults, this can be discussed case by case.
To determine which non-SM adult leader(s) to be subsidized, the proposed algorithm is as following:
An example: if a major event costs about $310 per person and 22 boys went. 3 adults are required.
- ASM got 1st priority, then Chairperson, then trained comittee member, then untrained adult. (All adult must be registered in Coucil's record. A registered adult is covered by BSA insurance. Therefore an unregistered adult is not allowed to participate any troop outgoing event).
- If there are more than required adults in the same rank, the notifying time is used to break the tie.
Troop will pay $355(=$155+$100*2).
Each boys will pay $336.14(=$310+$26.14(=((($310*3)-$355)/22))).
(P2-1) Proposal for subsidizing adult leaders attending expensive major event
P2-1-1. Same as M1.
P2-1-2. Same as M2.
P2-1-3. Same as M3.
P2-1-4. The remaining expense for the required adults are to be shared by the attending boys.
P2-1-5. Same as M5.
(P2-2) Proposal for subsidizing adult leaders attending expensive major event
P2-2-1. Same as M1.
P2-2-2. Same as M2.
P2-2-3. Same as M3.
P2-2-4. The remaining expense for the required adults are to be shared by the attending boys, but there is a maximum for such load on a boy. The load to be distributed on each boy will be no more than 10% of remaining amount after troop subsidization. The rest of adult expense are to be paid by the attending adults.
P2-2-5. Same as M5.
An example, for an expensive major event, the cost for each person is $1000.
If 8 boys are going. 2 adults are needed. Troop will subsidize $400, and $1600 is to be shared by the 8 boys.
Under P2-1 proposal, each boy need to pay extra $200(=$1600/8). That makes each boy pay for $1200 and each attending adults pay $0.
Under P2-2 proposal, each boy needs to pay extra $160(=$1600*10%). That makes each boy pay for $1160.
And the SM needs to pay $60(=$1000-$300-($160*8))/2)).
2nd adult to pay $260(=$1000-$100-($160*8/2)).
Online Photo Album Maintenance Policy
- Site: www.fotki.com/bsa-t453
- Password - provide password to SM, Web CM, and Troop Historian, ASM for Troop Historian.
- Uploading Photos - Scouts and adults who wish to contribute photos will burn them onto a data CD and give it to the Troop Historian, who will upload them into the appropriate patrol folder.
- The committee will select an adult advisor and to assist the Troop Historian in maintaining the troop photo album
- Historian will set up a folder for each of the patrols, and a general folder for troop activities
- The Troop Historian will be in charge of keeping the site organized and sending out notices of new pictures to the Yahoo! Groups site
- membership fee, for SCCC
- $60 per scout, per year, around Nov every year or upon joining the troop
- prorated per quarter if scout join after June of the year
- collected by Membership Sub-Committee
- Friends of Scouting (FOS)
- donation to SCCC, around Mar every year
- T453 2004 suggested amt: $175 per family
- Troop Fee
- for troop activities
- $36, per family, every 6 monthes on Jan and Jul
- non-refunable for scouts who drop the Troop Program; prorated per month for graduating scouts
- collected by Patrol Leaders
- Patrol Fee
- for patrol activities
- $50, when new patrol leader turn starts, or a new scout joining a patrol
- balance to be
refunded at the end of 6-month patrol leader term
- collected by the new patrol leader parent
- Email the filled Reimbursement Form
to Financial Chair at least 2 days before the meeting day (Troop Meeting, or Committee Meeting).
- Submit the following, in person, to Financial Chair when you receive the Check:
- Hard-copy of Reimbursement Form
- Name & Purpose
Reimbursement for Adult Training
Troop will reimburse cost of the following Adult Scout Leader Training once the training is complete:
- Adult Basic Leader Training
- SM & ASM Training
- Outdoor Leader Training
T453 Uniform Policy
Boy Scout Uniform
BS Web Belt
World Scout Crest Emblem
Boy Scout Uniform Inspection Sheet
- Boy Scout Hand Book, and hand book cover(optional)
- Scout Binder
(any binder, for collecting scouting stuffs, such as patches, rank certificates, MBs and certificates, etc. Certificate holders and Patch holders are available at the SCCC Scout Shop. Used during Scout Master Conference and Board of Review, for more info, see
- Class A Uniform (see below)
- Class B Uniform (see below)
- Backpacking/Camping Gears
T453 Class A Uniform:
- Boy Scout Short Sleeve Shirt with the following:
- Boy Scout Red Shoulder-loops
- Santa Clara county Council, CA patch
- World Scout Crest Emblem
- Unit Numerals ("453", provided by T453)
- Patrol Emblem (provided by T453)
- Quality Unit (provdied by T453)
- Nametag (provided by T453, to 1st class scouts)
- Translator tag (provdied to Scouts upon achievement)
- Boy Scout Shorts & Web Belt
- Boy Scout Knee Socks
- T453 Neckerchief (purchase from T453 Patch Committee)
- Necherchief Slide (to be purchase from Scout shop or made by scouts)
** If needed, Soild Black long sleeve shirt under Boy Scout Short Sleeve Shirt
**Patrol Job Insignia vs. Troop Job Insignia - wear Patrol Job Insignia for Patrol level meetings, wear Troop Job Insignia for Troop level meetings.
** NO OPEN TOED SHOES/OPEN TOED SANDALS ARE ALLOWED, except for designated activities, such as: swimming, showering, etc.
** A full uniform means wearing all of the patches correctly. Only up-to-date patches are to be worn. Achievement patches and badges must be worn as a sign of Scout Spirit, and personal pride in earning the recognition. Patches must be in the right places. Scouts who have earned at least six merit badges should wear a merit badge sash at every major Scouting event, including Scoutmaster conferences, Courts of Honor, boards of Review, etc.
T453 Class B Uniform:
- T453 T-Shirt (purchase from T453 Patch Committee)
- Boy Scout Shorts & Web Belt
- Boy Scout Knee Socks
- If needed, Soild Black long sleeve shirt under T453 T-Shirt
Where to purchase scouting gears?
T453 T-Shirt & Neckerchief
- Purchase from T453 patch Committee
- T453 T-Shirt: $13/shirt, or $25 for 2 shirts.
- Black Long Sleeves T-Shirt: $10/shirt
- Neckerchief: $7.00
Boy Scout Uniform & Camping Gears
See Resources Page