~~ last updated: 01/25/05 ~~
|T453 MB Counselors
|Intro to MBs
|MB Work Sheets
Troop 453 Advancement Policy
National BSA Policies Related To Rank Advancement
Advancement - Scout, Tenderfoot, 2nd Class
- Complete the requirements for the rank. (A Troop Guide, Sr. Scout, ASM or SM may sign off Requirements.)
- Participate in a Scout Master Conference (SMC)during a campout.
- Fill and submit the Board of Review (BOR) Request Form to BOR Board
- Participate in a monthly Board Of Review interview.
- Participate in a quarterly Court Of Honor (COH). (T453: Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec, 4th Saturday, BOR Due a month before COH)
Advancement - 1st Class, Star, Life
- Complete the requirements for the rank.
- Prepare your Resume, Scout Binder and fill the Scout portion of the Scout Evaluation Form
- Fill the Scout portion of the SMC Application Form, give the SMC Application Form to your patrol ASM and discuss about your SMC with your patrol ASM.
- Submit your SMC Application Form to Scout Master, cc to your Patrol ASM.
- Participate in a SMC.
- Fill and submit the BOR Request Form to BOR Board.
- Participate in a monthly BOR interview with the following:
- Scout Binder
- (3 copies) Resume, SMC Application Form and Scout Evaluation Form from your SMC.
- Participate in a quarterly COH (T453: Mar, Jun, Sep, Dec, 4th Saturday, BOR Due a month before COH)
Advancement - Eagle
Board of Review (BOR)
National BSA Policies Related To Boards Of Review
When a scout has completed all of the requirements for a rank, he appears before a Board of Review composed of at least three and not more than six Troop Committee members. The purpose of the board of review is to:
- Make sure that the work has been learned and completed
- Find out what kind of experience the boy is having in his patrol and troop
- Encourage the Scout to progress further
- It will not be an examination or a time to retest the Scout, but to determine the Scout's attitude and his acceptance of Scouting ideals.
You are encouraged to help your son prepare for his Board of Review.
Questions that might be asked are
- What do you like most (or least) about the troop's outdoor activities?
- What new things did you do or learn on your latest campout/service project/troop meeting?
- Why is being a Boy Scout important to you?
- What are your goals in Scouting?
- How will fulfilling requirement number ____ help you?
- If you had to go to a Scout function, would you be comfortable wearing your uniform in the public?
- Which of the requirements were the most difficult (or easy) for you?
- How is Scouting helping (or conflicting) with school, sports, family, church or extra curriculum activities?
- How do you show your respect to adults and scouts during camping and troop meetings
- Give us specific examples of how you have shown or demonstrated Scout Spirit, leadership, the Scout Oath, a particular Scout Law or the Outdoor Code during the past three to six months?
- What part do you play in patrol or troop meetings?
- What have you done to help other scouts recently?
- What scouting experience may hold a potential for you to explore as a life long hobby or a life's work?
- What school, church or community activities do you participate in?
- What kind of service projects have you performed, what types do you enjoy?
- Does your patrol have a website. What do you share?
- How do you contribute to intertroop communication? Do you particate speaking during COH, campfire, writing jounals, writing on patrol webpage?
* National BSA Policies Related To Merit Badges
* How to Earn MBs from MB Counselors
Merit Badge FAQ
- Scouts does not need to wait until approaching Eagle rank (Star) to attempt those Eagle required merit badges.
- The scout handbook on advancement has been revised numerous time on MB: e.g. Earn X (more) merit badges, including Y from the required list for
- MB does not have an order, age, or rank linkage. For example, if a scout completes all those merit badges needed for Star rank during 1st
class, he satisfies the MB requirement for Star. MB is a parallel and independent pursue; BSA encourages scouts to take up as many MBs they practical can between their busy schedules.
T453 MB Counselors
* T453 MB Counselor List - Yahoo Group login required.
For more information about Boy Scout Program & Advancement, see the following: