History of the Levack Mine
This text will be replaced
Narrated by Hans Brasch
Hans Brasch is a retired, hard rock miner.
Hans worked for the International Nickel Company of Canada
(INCO) at the Levack Mine from 1952 to 1992.
Hans retired from INCO at age 60 after 40 years of service with
International Nickel Company of Canada
The International Nickel Company of Canada, Limited is the world’s second largest producer of nickel and also
produces copper, cobalt, precious metals and platinum group metals.
INCO Sudbury operations are the largest
integrated mining, milling, smelting and refining operations in Canada.
INCO began its operations in Sudbury
Origins and History of the Levack Mine
1856 - A.P. Salter, a provincial land surveyor observes a strange deflection of the magnetic needle of his
compass while surveying the Creighton area.
1883 - Tom Flanagan, a blacksmith with the Canadian Pacific Railway discovers copper sulphide in the
1884 - The Canadian Pacific Railroad lays track through the township of Levack.
1888 - 1889 James Stobie, a geologist / prospector discovers the first mineral outcrops in the area.
1900 - The Mond Mining Company of England is formed.
The Mond Process is developed for extracting
nickel from its ores using carbonyl.
1901 - Robert C. Stanley joined the Orford Company as a metallurgist.
Three years later, he devised the
method for producing a new nickel alloy that is stronger than pure nickel and does not corrode in sea water.
1902 - The Canadian Copper Company and the Orford Copper Company merge to form the International
Nickel Company of Canada (INCO).
1913 - Robert Mond visits the Levack area and purchases several land claims in the area.
the Levack Mine begins.
1914 - The sinking of Levack Mine’s Number 1 Shaft commences and stops at 700 feet.
The first load of ore
is sent to Coniston for processing.
1917 - Number 1 Shaft is extended to 1200 feet at an incline of 65%.
1922 - Robert C. Stanley becomes the President of INCO.
Under his leadership INCO will later become a
world leading nickel company.
1929 - The Mond Nickel Company merges with INCO partly due to shared ownership of the Frood-Stobie ore
1929 - Levack Mine’s Number 2 Shaft construction commences.
Fire destroys Number 2 Shaft.
1930 - Reconstruction of Number 2 Shaft begins but development halts with the coming of the Depression.
1938 - Number 2 Shaft is reopened and sunk to 2000 feet.
1955 - Number 2 Shaft is sunk to 4000 feet where it remains today.
1999 - Levack Mine closes due to low grade ore output.
2000 - Dynatec purchases Levack Mine with plans to reopen the site.
Website Created by Wayne D. Beaudry - September, 2007.
Click Here to E-Mail Me with Comments, Additions or Corrections.