Food & Arts
by Diego Velázquez
All of the figures in this painting are portraits of each individual present at this historical event, this work is an account of the very real event, almost a Kodak moment of the 17th century.
by Diego Velázquez
The painter of "the air" reflects his own workday: in the mirror on the far wall is the reflection of the King and Queen , which is the theme of the painting he is working on, the Princess is looking at her parents, surrounded by her aids and the loyal family dog near by.
Today paella has universal appeal with literally hundreds of regional variations.
Bonito del Norte is considered by Spaniards the finest of tunas. This dolphin-safe tuna is packed in olive oil to keep it moist and flavorful. Each tuna is line caught by hand, preserving the texture and flavor that can be damaged by the stress of harvesting by net.
Pimientos del piquillo are a unique, traditional specialty of Lodosa, a village in Navarra, which has only became available commercially in the last 25 years ago. They come from a unique variety of red peppers organically grown in Lodosa and its surrounding area in northern Spain. Triangular in shape, they have a uniquely curved point (piquillo. You may have read about these celebrated peppers in the New York Times, Bon Appétit, Saveur, and Gourmet -- or perhaps you enjoyed them when you were in Spain.
Flan de Almendras
The national dessert of Spain, flan is simple to make and a nice light alternative to heavy ice creams and cakes.
1 Tbsp water
1 3/4 cups of sugar
1/2 cup ground almonds
3 cups milk
1 tsp grated lemon peel
1/2 tsp salt
Thinly sliced orange for garnish
• In a 9 inch baking pan, caramelize the sugar and water over low heat. WHen the sugar turns golden, remove from the heat and coat the bottom of the pan with the caramel.
• In a blender, mix the rest of the ingredients (except the orange) until smooth.
• Pour the mixture into the caramelized baking pan, and place in a larger pan containing one inch of water.
• Bake at 350 F for about one hour until top is set and golden.
• Remove pan from the water and allow to cool.
• Place a serving plate over pan and flip over. Remove the pan.
• Chill at least an hour before serving.
• Serve with the orange slices as a garnish.
© Copyright 2005, Clase de 2005. All Rights Reserved.