Back row: L to R Gene, Louis, Francis (my grandfather) 2nd row: Josephine and Julie Seated: Amede(Meddy) with Louise on his lap. Julie Desire Vanderlinden Rabideau with Rose on her lap. 1st row: John
2. Andre Robidou b.1643 Burgos,Spain d.4/1/1678 La-Prairie, Quebec. Andre m. Jeanne Denot 6/7/1667 La Prarie, Quebec. Jeanne was a Fille du Roi from St-Germain I'Auxerrois, Ile de France b. abt 1645. She arrived in Canada in 1666 d.10/10/1701
3.Joseph Robidou b. 1/13/1679 La-Prairie, Quebec d. 1728 Montreal. Joseph m.Jeanne Sequin 10/10/1701 Lonqueuil, Canada. b. 1680 d. 12/21/1749.
4. Joseph Robidoux b. 3/9/1706 St.Phillipe, La-Prairie, Quebec d. 2/1779 La-Prairie, Quebec. Joseph m. Marie Anne Mesnil10/31/1729 La-Prairie, Quebec. b.1709.
5. Louis Robidoux b. 3/15/1735 La-Prarie, Quebec d. 6/12/1803 St. Constant, La-Prairie, Quebec. Louis m.Felicite Bourdeau b. 1740 d. 1822.
6. Pierre Amable Robidoux b. 6/22/1769 d. ?? Pierre m. Marie Anne Bro 1/30/1792 La-Prairie. b. 1773 d. 1808.
2nd marriage of Ambroise
Josette Chouder 1860.
8.Amede "Meddie" Rabideau b. 2/18/1842 St. Martine, Canada d. 4/4/1915 in Clifton, Il . Meddie m.Julie Desire Vanderlinden 10/13/1868 Clifton, IL. b. 1851 Belgium d.12/19/1893 Clifton, Il. after having surgery for cancer. In 1908 Amede moved to St. Anne, Illinois leaving the farm in his eldest son's capable hands. Our Grandpa Francis moved with him asnd that is probably how he met our Grandmother Zoe. On December 19, 1912in Kankakee County, Illinois Amede married Leddie Ida Allain.
9. Francis Rabideau b. 2/17/1877 in Chebanse,Il d. 9/12/1928 in St.Anne, Illinois. On 9/20/1910 in St. Anne,IL. Francis married Fanny Zoe Cote b. 5/30/1884 Beaverville, IL. d. 10/20/1926 Kankakee, IL. .
Even though the Rabideau family had immigrated to Illinois in the 1850s, my mom in 1917 when she started 1st grade at the St. Anne Catholic Academy, did not speak English. When the nuns realized this, they started her sister Aldea in school that year, too so the girls could learn English together and in turn teach the rest of the family to speak English.
Unfortunately the family had many sad times. Grandpa Frank fell from a kiln chimney where he worked and broke both legs and an arm at one point. Zoe did not recover after the last child was born and remained frail until her death a year later. My mom dropped out of school to help her dad with the children. Then in 1928 Frank touched a live wire at work which caused him to have a heart attack that killed him.
Most of the children were placed in the Home of the Friendless - a Catholic Orphanage. The estate was charged monthly until the money ran out and then the children were placed with family or friends of the family mostly. Mom being 17 at the time of her dad's death had been placed as a Nanny in a home in Kankakee and a year later married dad. Aldea was placed with the nuns at the convent school in St. Anne. In 1930 at age of 17 she was a servant to the Vander Karr family in Kankakee. Mary Lou, the baby, was placed in the home of Louis and Ellen Rabideau. The ones that were placed in the orphanage never really talked about the horrible time they had there for the 2 years they were there. Aunt Leah did say that Aunt Lucy cried everyday so they finally let them stay in the same room. I am still processing where each child was placed after the orphanage. If anyone has info would love to hear from you. Jeannette ---lived with Uncle John and Aunt Ida Rabideau. Alice and Phillip--lived with Ed and Celia St. Peter in Watseka until they married. Aunt Alice inherited the St. Peter farm. Bill----- after Home for the Friendless kicked the kids out because the money to keep them had run out -not sure but remember him saying he was placed on a farm and had to work really hard and was not treated as family at all. . Leah- Was placed with Uncle Arthur and Aunt Louise Hubert….. Granpa Frank’s sister Lucy ? Have not found them listed anywhere on the 1930 census yet so not sure where they were placed. Rose ? I also heard mom say that several lived with her and dad during their early years of marriage
[ Go Home ] [ Next ]