COMPLETE THE SCENE--LAURA’S FATHER

By: (set-up) xffan_2000, (conclusions) Melissa Jones Jacob Olson, Christy Pryor, and Amy Kamplain

E-mail: (xffan_2000) xffan_2000@yahoo.com; (Jones) MRHSfan@aol.com; (Pryor) HPryor@aol.com; (Kamplain) amyk@winslow.net66.com

First printed: More Red Holt Steele #1, #2 & #3

Summary: A “complete the scene” activity from More Red Holt Steele with the jump-off point being the return of Laura’s father.

Disclaimer: This “Remington Steele” story is not-for-profit and is purely for entertainment purposes. The author and this site do not own the characters and are in no way affiliated with “Remington Steele,” the actors, their agents, the producers, MTM Productions, the NBC Television Network or any station or network carrying the show in syndication, or anyone in the industry.

-----------------------------------

THE SET-UP (By xffan_2000)

A few years have passed since Laura and Remington got marr-ied. Immigration is off their tail, and life is pretty much back to normal around the agency.

Mildred turned her interests more toward investigative work and away from playing secretary. With her on her way to becoming something of a third partner, Laura hired another receptionist and started to take Mildred out on assignments with her.

The scene picks up on a quiet day at Remington Steele Invest-igations. All the operatives are out of the office, and the new receptionist (we'll call her Susan) sits at her desk working.

In the background a man, about 60 years old, can be seen outside the glass doors, checking the name written there. He seems to decide it's the right place, so he opens the door and hesitantly enters.

He steps in front of the Susan's desk, and she looks up.

SUSAN

Can I help you?

MAN

(looking around the office, almost as if someone was stalking him) I think so...I'm here to see Laurie Holt.

SUSAN

(looks at him blankly for a moment) Uh...I think you want Mrs. Steele. I'm not sure, but I think her last name used to be Holt.

MAN

(still checking the room, he stops and looks back at Susan) She's married?

SUSAN

Yeah. She and Ms. Krebs are out on a case right now. But they should be back in a little while. I can tell her you stopped by.

MAN

Oh...uh...no. That's okay. I'll come back later.

He no sooner gets his words out, when Remington walks in the door.

SUSAN

Oh! This is Mr. Steele. Maybe he can help you.

REMINGTON

Yes? (he approaches, automat-ically raising his hand to grasp the man's) What can I do for you, Mister.....?

MAN

(obviously sizing him up, but not taking Steele's hand to shake) You're Laurie's husband?

REMINGTON

(thrown completely off balance by someone calling Laura "Laurie") Yes.

MAN

You treating her okay?

REMINGTON

(trying to remain professional, but not liking the questioning he's getting) Uh...I'm sure you didn't come here to discuss my home life, am I right? (he attempts to prompt the man again into a hand shake) Mister....?

MAN

Frank. (finally he takes Steele's hand) Frank Holt. Laurie's father.

------------------------------

CONCLUSION (By Melissa Jones)

"Ah, Mr. Holt, of course," Remington said nervously, smiling and shaking Frank's hand emphatically. "Well, uh, Laura didn't tell me she was expecting you."

"She wasn't. I was in town and I thought I would drop by and see my daughter. I had no idea that I would be meeting my son-in-law at the same time," Frank replied, still examining Reming-ton as if to see if he was worthy of being married to Laura.

"You mean, Laura didn't tell you she got married?" Remington asked, puzzled. He quickly let go of Frank's hand, aware that he had shaken it long enough.

"No, she didn't," Frank said, a note of disappointment and disapproval in his voice.

"Yes, well, I'm sure it just slipped her mind," Remington tried to laugh off his uncomfort-ableness. "Uh...Laura's out on assignment at the moment, but I'm sure she'll be here shortly. Meanwhile, you can wait in my office, and we can have a nice chat to get better acquainted," he smiled, pouring on the charm as he guided Frank toward his office.

"I'm sure we have a lot to talk about. Yes, right in there, very good...where's Laura?" Reming-ton whipped around to Susan as soon as Frank was safely out of earshot. His voice dropped in volume, and the charming smile was replaced by a nervous frown.

"She and Miss Krebs are out wrapping up the McFee matter. They should be back any minute now," Susan answered reassur-ingly.

"Did they take the limo?"

"I think so."

"Get her on the phone. Hurry," Remington panicked. Susan picked up the receiver and handed it to Remington as she dialed the limo's number. As the phone began to ring, Laura Steele and Mildred Krebs entered the office. Remington slammed down the receiver.

"Ah, Laura, thank God you're here," he said, glancing back to his office door and again to Laura.

"Mmm...good to see you, too," Laura teased, giving Remington a peck on the cheek. "Missed me that much?"

"No...I mean, yes, of course, but...I mean...uh, someone's here to see you," he finished breath-lessly.

"Oh? Who?" Laura asked calmly, dropping her purse off her shoulder and onto the corner of Susan's desk.

"There you are, Laurie," Frank said, emerging from Remington's office. "I knew I heard my little girl's voice."

Laura stiffened and froze. The smile on her face was replaced by shock, and look of controlled pain and anger. She closed her eyes and inhaled deeply, then opened her eyes and turned to face her father.

"Hello, Daddy," she said quietly.

Remington shot a knowing glance at Mildred, who under-stood his concern. He'd been around Laura long enough to recognize the storm of anger brewing just beneath the surface. After all, he had been on the receiving end of it on more than one occasion.

"Well, aren't you going to give your father a hug?" Frank asked, extending his arms toward Laura. She reluctantly stepped into his embrace.

"What are you doing here?" Laura asked, pulling quickly out of the embrace.

"I'm in town on some business, and I thought I would drop by and see you, since it's been so long," Frank explained, keeping hold of Laura's upper arms. "Of course, I was greatly surprised to hear that I was looking for a Mrs. Steele and not Miss Holt. When did this happen?" He asked, nodding toward Remington.

"The full wedding was around three and a half years ago. I would have told you, but I wasn't sure where you were, or even if you were interested."

"Of course I'm interested! You're my little girl," Frank said, shocked and a little hurt.

"Well, uh, why don't we step into my office," Remington broke in with forced cheerfulness. "That way we can sit down, get comfortable, perhaps enjoy a cup of coffee, and have a nice conversation, eh?"

"Sounds good. I take mine black," Frank said, turning toward Remington's office.

"Could you bring in some coffee, Susan?" Remington said, turning toward Susan. "Mildred, would you take care of the final paperwork on the McFee matter?"

"You got it, Boss," Mildred reassured, heading toward her office.

"Laura," Remington said, grabbing her by the elbow and stopping her as she proceeded toward his office. "Are you okay?" He asked softly.

"I'm fine. Just because the father who abandoned my family seventeen years ago and has not even acknowledged my existence in the past twelve years has suddenly stepped back into my life and is acting as if everything is just peachy and there were never any problems between us doesn't mean that I'm not okay. I'm fine. Okay?" Laura snapped, marching into Remington's office.

Remington stood for a moment, staring after his wife. "Okay," he whispered, dreading entering his office. He followed Laura in and closed the door.

****

Remington flung open the door to the condo and ushered Laura in. He shut the door and flung the keys on the nearby cabinet as Laura headed off toward their bedroom, removing her jewelry as she walked.

Remington loosened his tie and pulled off his jacket. Flinging the jacket onto the easy chair opposite him, he sat on the arm of the couch and rubbed his face wearily.

"That was, without a doubt, the longest afternoon of my life," he said as Laura emerged from the bedroom.

"It wasn't that bad. Daddy seemed to like you," Laura responded casually, sitting on the couch and removing her shoes. Remington turned and stared at her incredulously.

"Wasn't that bad? I've felt less tension when I was being shot at. I mean, good Lord, Laura. Who do you think you were fooling? All those frozen smiles and casual indifference? Your father may or may not have noticed it, but I certainly did. I half-expected you to rip his head off."

"Don't be ridiculous," Laura retorted, giving Remington an annoyed look. "I was in complete control of myself. I told you earlier that I was fine. And I am," she said, sounding as if she were trying to convince herself. She leaned back and closed her eyes in exhaustion.

Remington stared at her for a few minutes. He moved from the arm of the couch and sat next to Laura, facing her. He reached out and turned her head toward him with his index finger.

"Laura, look at me," he said softly. "I know you're angry at your father for everything that's happened the past twenty years. I'm sure he knows it as well. Perhaps he's here to ask your forgiveness. Did you ever think of that, hmm?"

"He's a little late," Laura said bitterly, averting her eyes from Remington's concerned gaze. Remington dropped his head and stared at his lap for a moment, then moved closer and put his arm around Laura, drawing her even closer to him.

"When Daniel first told me that he was my father, my first instinct was anger because I though it was too late. I mean, after twenty years of my wanting to know, and him knowing that I wanted to know, he finally comes to me with the truth. I stormed out, determined to put him out of my life for good, as punishment for not being there as a father.

"I was only gone for an hour or so. I finally realized that his absence as my father was probably just as painful for him as it was for me, and that maybe he was telling me the truth to relieve both our pains. I went back to tell him that I forgave him, and I lost him forever just a few minutes later.

"My greatest regret is that hour that I didn't spend with him, because I was too busy concen-trating on my own anger."

"But it's different for me. At least Daniel was in your life in some way. At least he paid attention to you, and kept tabs on you. My father has completely been out of my life for twelve years. Now he suddenly wants back in as if nothing has happened," Laura protested.

"Is it so different? Of course, you're angry. Perhaps you even have a right to be. But do you really want your relationship to end like this? Do you really want to lose that hour?" Remington questioned.

Laura looked at him, tears forming in her eyes. She stared at him silently for a moment. "No," she whispered, dropping her eyes. "I guess I didn't bother to think about how he felt. I suppose he wouldn't have come if he didn't care, or didn't want to make it right between us."

"Of course not. That's why you have to give him a chance. Because the day will come when it really will be too late," Remington said, leaning his head against hers. Laura's tears finally fell as she nodded. Remington kissed her forehead to comfort her. She looked up at him again.

"Thank you," she whispered, a smile of gratitude and adoration playing across her features.

"You're welcome," Reming-ton whispered, wiping away her tears with his thumbs. Laura grasped his hands by the wrists and kissed his right palm. She looked up at him as he leaned in to kiss her gently.

"Are you okay now, really?" Remington asked as they parted.

"Yes, really," Laura assured him. "Um, if you don't mind, I think I'll go out for dinner. With my father. We have a lot to catch up on." She smiled.

"I understand," Remington stated, nodding. "Enjoy yourself."

Laura stood up, bending briefly to kiss Remington goodbye.

She retrieved her purse from the bedroom and left the condo. Remington smiled and waved goodbye.

---------------------------------

CONCLUSION (By Jacob Olson)

STEELE

(he staggers back with surprise, then regains his composure and says) Laur... Laurie's father?

FRANK

That's right, Laurie's father. Where is she?

STEELE

She's... she's...

SUSAN

She and Ms. Krebs are out on a case right now.

STEELE

That's right, they're out on a case.

FRANK

Laurie doin' any dangerous work?

STEELE

Nothing she can't handle, Mr. Holt. She's a big girl now.

FRANK

I figured that probably happened in my absence.

STEELE

Of course.

Laura and Mildred walk in.

LAURA

Hello, Susan. Any messages?

SUSAN

(looks at Steele) Maybe Mr. Steele should tell you.

Laura walks over to Steele and Frank.

STEELE

Oh, hello, Laura.

Frank realizes that this is his daughter and examines her.

LAURA

(she kisses Remington on the cheek) Hello, darling.

(looks at Frank, who is still staring at her) Do we know each other?

FRANK

We did once.

LAURA

I don't understand.

FRANK

A long time ago. We were very close. I'm your father.

LAURA

(staggers back, finally she chokes out the word) Daddy?

MILDRED

Daddy? Your Laura's father?

FRANK

That's right. I thought it might take her by surprise.

STEELE

I completely agree.

Later, Frank and Laura are getting acquainted in Steele's office.

LAURA

So, why did you come back?

FRANK

I had to see you. It's been...what? Close to twenty years since I saw you.

LAURA

I understand, but why did you leave in the first place?

FRANK

No, that's not what I came back for. I'm not going to try and explain what I did all those years ago and I'm not going to make up excuses for it.

That was a long time ago and I've regretted it ever since. What's past is past. Let's go forward.

LAURA

I don't know...

FRANK

I'm not asking to be your father. At least not at first. But maybe at least a friend...like an uncle?

LAURA

(smiles) I guess that would be okay.

FRANK

So, how's Frances?

LAURA

(rolls her eyes) Mom's little girl. She's Mom's favorite. The perfect housewife. My complete opposite.

FRANK

That figures. She always was. (pause) You know, Laura, you were always my favorite.

LAURA

I know. Somehow, I've always known.

They walk out of the office together. In the outer office, Susan, Mildred and Steele are gathered around the secretary's desk talking.

STEELE

Laura? How are you?

LAURA

Fine. Just fine. My Fath... Frank and I are going out to lunch. I think I'll take the rest of the day off.

STEELE

Great. Mildred and I can handle everything at the office.

LAURA

I'll see you all later.

Laura and Frank walk out of the office together and down the hall, out of view.

------------------------------------

CONCLUSION (By Christy Pryor)

Remington glanced from Frank to Susan. As he looked away, he made a point of letting go of Frank's hand. Moments later, to both Frank's and Susan's surprise, Remington's fist slammed into his father-in-law's face.

The punch sent the older man reeling into the wall, the scene to which Laura and Mildred walked in on.

LAURA

What is going on here?

REMINGTON

(quietly) Bloody hell.

Remington turned to face his wife, as Susan went over to help Frank to his feet.

LAURA

You want to tell me what's going on here?

REMINGTON

No, not really. What are you doing here?

MILDRED

We got a message from Peggy Wagner, that her mother wanted to meet us here instead of at their home.

LAURA

Tracy Wagner thinks someone is watching their house and is afraid that if they find out she hired us, her husband might be in more danger.

REMINGTON

Any leads on his whereabouts yet?

LAURA

No, but Peggy said her mother might have some ideas. She's supposed to be here soon.

MILDRED

We also got this picture from Peggy.

A groan from behind him, reminded Remington of Frank's presence.

REMINGTON

Mildred, would you please see if that gentleman needs any medical attention.

MILDRED

Okay, boss.

Remington turned back to his wife. Laura's view of Frank was obstructed by her husband, so she tried to step around him, only to find Mildred was also blocking her view.

LAURA

I really would like an explanation.

REMINGTON

It's simple enough, really. He told me who he was, I got angry, and I hit him. It was a reflex action, and it was over before I realized what I'd done.

LAURA

(concerned more by his reaction, than by his behavior) Who is he?

From behind them, Mildred let out a small gasp.

REMINGTON

He's your...

MILDRED

Mr. Wagner?

REMINGTON

(puzzled) ...client?

LAURA

What? You hit our client? Are you crazy?

Remington turned to look at Frank, his anger seething.

REMINGTON

Kenneth Wagner? He never said...

Laura stepped around Remington, the anger more than apparent on her face.

LAURA

Mr. Wagner, I'm sor...

REMINGTON

Laura, wait a minute.

Laura came to a dead stop as the older man turned around, giving her a clear view of his face. Remington watched her reaction as confusion, pain, and then anger all crossed her face within a matter of seconds.

LAURA

Oh, my God! Daddy?

Mildred whirled around so she could see Laura, then looked over at Remington. Laura and Frank just watched each other, oblivious to anyone else in the room. When Laura finally spoke, the calmness in her voice sent chills up Remington's spine.

LAURA

You've got some very worried people looking for you.

FRANK

I know. That's why I'm here.

Laura took a deep breath as she glanced back at Remington. He moved to her side, taking her hand in his.

He could feel her relax a bit, but the tension in her body was still obvious.

LAURA

Of course. Why else would you be here?

FRANK

Laurie, that isn't the way I meant it.

LAURA

Don't call me that!

FRANK

I'm sorry, Laura. Let me say what I need to, and then I'll leave. I want you to drop my wife's case.

REMINGTON

(a bit surprised by the request) Why?

Frank didn't have the chance to answer, because a fraction of a second later, Tracy and Peggy Wagner entered the office.

TRACY

Kenneth, thank god you're safe. We were worried sick about you.

PEGGY

(approximately 16 years old)

Daddy, are you okay?

FRANK

I'm fine, but...

TRACY

Mr. Steele, Laura, thank you for finding him. Now maybe we can get to the bottom of all this.

REMINGTON

Actually, Mrs. Wagner, your husband found us. He was just about to tell us why he wants us to drop your case.

TRACY

What?

Putting his arm around his wife, Frank turned back around to face Laura and Remington.

FRANK

You've got to get them out of here. It's not safe for them to be around me right now.

TRACY

No, Kenny! We're not leaving.

PEGGY

Of course we're not leaving. At least not without you.

FRANK

(his voice getting louder with every syllable) I'm not going to argue with you about this! Mr. Steele?

REMINGTON

Mr. Wagner, we can't force your wife and daughter to leave if they don't wish to.

However, if you and Mrs. Wagner would like to use my office, you can discus this in private. Then we can all discuss it, calmly and rationally.

Mildred, would you be so kind as to show the Wagners into my office?

Susan, would you please make us some coffee? I think its going to be a long day.

Mildred opened the door leading to Remington's office, with Frank and Tracy following.

TRACY

Peggy, you're part of this family. I Think you should be part of this decision.

PEGGY

Yes, Mother.

Peggy followed her parents into the office, shutting the door behind them. When the door was securely closed, Remington turned to look at his wife.

REMINGTON

Are you okay?

LAURA

(lets out a nervous laugh) Why shouldn't I be? My father decides to grace my life with his presence after almost twenty years, and not only do I find out he has a new name, but also a new family.

REMINGTON

Laura, now is not the time for jokes.

LAURA

If not now, then when?

She wasn't able to say anything else, as tears began to well in her eyes. Seeing she was about to start crying, Remington pulled her into the adjacent office so they could be alone.

REMINGTON

Mildred, let us know when the Wagners have finished their little tete-a-tete.

MILDRED

Yes, Mr. Steele

Remington closed the door to Laura's office, and pulled his wife into his arms. The sounds of her crying were muffled against his chest. After a moment, she quieted, leaning back away from him.

REMINGTON

Feel better?

LAURA

A little.

REMINGTON

Want to talk about it?

LAURA

No, not just yet. Do you mind?

REMINGTON

Of course not. When you are ready though, just let me know.

LAURA

Thanks.

As he leaned down to kiss her, a knock sounded on the outer door.

REMINGTON AND LAURA

Mildred.

Laura opened the door to find Mildred on the other side.

MILDRED

Mr. Wagner would like to speak to you both.

LAURA

Tell him we'll be right there. Mildred, I'd like you there too.

MILDRED

Are you sure?

LAURA

(smiling) Yes.

Laura and Remington entered the other office through the adjoining door.

Mildred entered through the outer door with Susan.

SUSAN

I just wanted to see if you wanted something to drink.

LAURA

No, thank you, Susan.

She nodded, and headed back out of the office, but was stopped by Remington.

REMINGTON

Susan, why don't you take off. I think we can handle things for now.

SUSAN

Thanks Mr. Steele.

Since the outer office was now empty, Remington just left the door open. Inside his office, Tracy and Frank were on the couch, while Peggy sat in one of the chairs.

Laura was sitting on the right end of his desk, with Mildred to her left, so Remington moved to the other side, placing Mildred in the middle of the two. As he sat down, Frank began to speak.

FRANK

Before we begin, I want to thank all of you. Without being aware of it, you saved the lives of my family. Unfortunately, in the process, you've put Laura right in the line of fire of whomever is trying to kill me.

REMINGTON

What? How?

Remington hopped off of the desk, moving to Frank's side.

REMINGTON

(anger apparent in his voice) Why is she in danger, Mr. Wagner?

FRANK

Because the people who are after me, know she's my...

Frank looked over at his wife and daughter, Peggy before continuing. He took a deep breath.

FRANK

They know that she's my daughter.

TRACY

What?

A shocked silence hung over the room. Laura, surprised that Frank admitted to being her father, just stared at him.

FRANK

She's my daughter.

PEGGY

I don't understand. Daddy?

FRANK

I know, Princess...I know you're all confused. But if you'll give me a chance, I will try to explain. God knows I owe you all one. But I especially owe one to Laura.

REMINGTON

Mr. Wagner, would you prefer that Mildred and I leave, so you can all talk alone?

FRANK

No, Mr. Steele. You're a part of Laura's family, so you have the right to hear this too. Ms. Krebs is welcome to stay also. I know she's a good friend of Laurie's...excuse me, Laura's.

Remington moved back over to the desk, but didn't sit down. The room was silent, while Frank decided how best to begin his explanation.

FRANK

About thirty-five years ago I went to work for a company called TriComm...

REMINGTON

TriComm?

LAURA

It's a computer consulting firm. They got their name because they trade exclusively between only three European countries, right?

FRANK

That's right...I'd been working for TriComm for almost fifteen years before I came across evidence to the fact that they were selling top-secret documents to one of the three countries. Documents that were supposed to be destroyed.

LAURA

But instead of destroying these documents, they would sell them? What country were they selling them to?

FRANK

I'm afraid I can't tell you that.

REMINGTON

You don't know?

FRANK

Oh, yes, I know. I've just been ordered not to say.

MILDRED

By who?

Frank remained quiet for a moment.

FRANK

By the government. My silence was all part of the deal that they made with me. You see, when I uncovered this information, I, along with two of my co-workers, went to the FBI.

They immediately began investigating TriComm, along with their three sister companies, in Europe. It didn't take long for TriComm to discover this, and our involvement with it.

They found Gary Campbell in Griffith Park, but they never found his twin brother William...

LAURA

Uncle Will? You mean he didn't leave Charlotte? I'm sorry. I know he was a good friend.

FRANK

The best! When they disappeared, the FBI offered to put me in a Federal Witness Protection Program, with my family, in exchange for my testimony against the president of TriComm and several members of its board of trustees.

They called themselves the "Society." I agreed to testify, but I made the decision to leave my family instead of uprooting them.

TRACY

Why, Kenny?

FRANK

There are several reasons, but the main reasons were because I didn't want to disrupt their lives.

LAURA

But you did disrupt it--by leaving. Do you know how much our lives changed when you left? Mother just became a shell of herself. Frances cried for months.

And me! You were my whole world. Didn't you know that? When you left, I just became numb.

Frank moved in front of Laura, who was now standing in front of the desk. Anguish played across his face, as he listened to Laura, her pain evident in her eyes.

FRANK

I'm so sorry Laura. I honestly never thought that my leaving would affect you all so much. I mean, I was hardly ever home as it was. Your mother and I weren't getting along, and were close to divorce. I just felt that having to start a whole new life would have been harder to deal with than just my leaving.

LAURA

But at least I would have still had a father. Even if you and mother had gotten a divorce, you still would have been around.

As it was, I haven't seen you in almost twenty years. I needed a father!

Frank backed away from Laura, and began pacing.

FRANK

I wish I could change the past Laura, but I can't.

LAURA

(in disgust) No, you can't

REMINGTON

Not to change the subject, but if you were put into the Witness Protection Program, what are you doing here? Doesn't the Program restrict you from contacting anyone who knows you as Frank Holt?

FRANK

Yes, but by the time I discovered that Tracy had hired you, it was too late.

And besides, they had already found me.

REMINGTON

Who is it that's after you? Is it one of the men you testified against?

FRANK

To be honest with you, Mr. Steele, I have no idea. Every one of them has been accounted for.

Two of the five are still in prison, and three of them are dead.

REMINGTON

Could there have been a sixth partner?

FRANK

If there was, he or she, was a silent partner, because I never saw any other name except for the five men that were sent to prison.

MILDRED

Could it be one of the European partners?

FRANK

Again, I don't know. My contact at the FBI says that they are all accounted for, but one of them could have hired an assassin. But then, so could the two still in prison here.

REMINGTON

Well, that sure narrows down our list of suspects.

Frank laughed nervously as he stopped pacing. He turned to look at his wife, who'd been very quiet during his entire story.

Meanwhile, unbeknownst to the group in the office, two men were about to enter the outer office. One man was in his early sixties, the other was in his thirties. Once inside, they stopped, listening to the conversation inside Remington's office.

FRANK

I wish I could help you. I have no idea who's left. William would have known. As a matter of fact, he was the one who discovered all the accomplices in the scheme.

The two mystery men entered the office just as Frank finished speaking.

A look of recognition crossed Laura's face. Frank saw this, turning as the men entered the room.

He immediately recognized his best friend, William. Shocked at the realization that his friend was alive, Frank couldn't move.

FRANK

William? Oh, my God!

WILLIAM

Gee, Frank. You look like you've seen a ghost.

FRANK

William, I don't understand.

WILLIAM

That's because you were too stupid and naive. Didn't you ever wonder how I knew all of the members of the "Society?"

FRANK

No, I never did. Why should I? I thought I knew you. But apparently not as well as I thought. I don't understand.

Laura, who was still in a bit of a shock, moved to her father's side. She looked up at the man she'd once called Uncle Will, but she didn't recognize the man. This man was a shadow of the man she once knew.

This man was consumed with a deep hatred, aimed directly at her father. When William saw her, a look of recognition flashed in his eyes. He turned to the younger man with him, who turned out to be his son.

WILLIAM

You were right, Jeff. It really was her.

(to Laura)

Hi, Laurie, girl. A private detective, eh? I'm impressed. I never would have guessed that a petite little girl, who could barely climb my back fence, would have ever become a private dick.

LAURA

You used to put me on your back and climb over it.

Remington, who'd been watching all of this from the other side of the room, moved to join his wife. He stopped, however, when both William and Jeff Campbell pulled out pistols.

JEFF

All of you stay where you are.

FRANK

I don't understand, Will. I never knew you were involved in all of this. Why the need to silence me?

WILLIAM

Because you're the reason they killed my brother! Gary didn't know about my involvement either, but because he knew the others, they had to silence him. I couldn't stop them!

FRANK

I'm sorry, Will.

WILLIAM

I don't want your apologies, I want you to suffer, as I have. Gary was my brother, my twin brother. Do you know what its like to lose a twin? It's like losing a part of yourself.

FRANK

Do you really think killing me is going to rid you of the pain?

WILLIAM

Oh, I'm not going to kill you...

William raised his gun, pointing it directly at Laura. She backed up a step, just as Frank launched himself at William. The sound of a gunshot echoed throughout the office.

FRANK

No!

REMINGTON

Laura!

Remington dove at Jeff, catching him unaware, and knocked the gun from his hand. As Mildred ran to pick up Jeff's gun, Laura picked up William's gun.

Remington connected a right hook with Jeff's face, knocking him unconscious. When the dust settled, father and son were both out cold, as was Frank Holt. Laura moved to her father's side, turning him onto his back. It was then that they discovered that Frank had been shot.

PEGGY

Daddy!

TRACY

Kenneth!

REMINGTON

Mildred, call an ambulance quick.

Peggy, who was in shock, stood frozen in place at Remington's side.

REMINGTON

Peggy? Peggy! Go into the bathroom and get me some towels. And wet them down.

Remington ran to his wife's side. She had already unbuttoned Frank's shirt, revealing the wound in his upper chest.

REMINGTON

We've got to stop that bleeding.

Peggy returned with several small towels.

LAURA

Remington, hold one of those on that wound. Peggy, use one of those wet towels, and wipe down his face. Mildred, find those handcuffs, so we can secure these men. (her voice was full of disgust) I don't want to give them a chance to escape.

TRACY

Can I do anything?

LAURA

Yes, go into the outer office and call the police. And pray.

A couple of hours later, William and Jeff Campbell, had been carted off to jail, and Frank had been taken to the hospital.

Remington and Laura were on the couch in his office, which was now completely empty of people. Remington was holding Laura in his arms while they waited. A moment later Mildred entered.

MILDRED

I just got off the phone with the hospital. Your father's in serious, but stable condition. They say he regained consciousness before they took him into surgery. I told Mrs. Wagner that you would be at the hospital later.

LAURA

Thank you, Mildred.

MILDRED

Did you need anything else?

REMINGTON

No, I don't think so. You can go home. And Mildred, good work this afternoon.

MILDRED

Thanks, Boss. Listen, if you need anything, just call me at home. I've already called Susan. We'll be in tomorrow, so you don't need to be here. We'll cancel all of this week's appointments, and just close up the office for the rest of the week.

LAURA

Thanks, Mildred. For everything.

MILDRED

You're welcome. And don't worry. Your dad will be fine. Good night.

As soon as she left, Laura put her head on Remington's shoulder, his arms closing around her, and started crying.

REMINGTON

It's okay, Laura. He's going to be fine.

Laura didn't immediately answer him.

LAURA

I have to tell Frances. She needs to know.

REMINGTON

Why don't we go there now?

LAURA

Thank you.

That evening, Laura and Remington, who were joined by Frances and Donald Piper, surround Frank Holt's hospital bed. The group was very somber, as if not sure how to react to the reunion. Frank, wires connected to his chest and arms, looked at some pictures in his hand.

FRANK

Franny, they're beautiful. I hope I get to meet them. They're my only grandchildren.

Frances just stared at her father, not sure what to say.

FRANK

It's okay, Franny. I wouldn't blame you if you never wanted to see me again. But, thank you for coming tonight.

Frances took hold of her father's hand, giving it a squeeze.

FRANCES

I'll bring the kids by later in the week to see you.

FRANK

Thank you.

DONALD

Frances, sweetheart, we have to go. Visiting hours are almost over.

FRANCES

Okay. I'll stop by to see you tomorrow, Daddy.

Frances and Donald moved to leave, with Remington following. Laura hesitated at the bedside, not sure if she was ready to leave.

FRANCES

Laura, will you give me a call later?

LAURA

I will, Frances. Good night.

Donald opened the door to the room, and followed his wife out. Remington stopped, holding the door ajar.

REMINGTON

(to Laura) I'll wait for you outside.

FRANK

Mr. Steele, could you please wait?

Remington stepped back into the room, letting the door shut, and moved to stand next to his wife. He took hold of her hand as he listened intently to his father-in-law.

FRANK

I wanted to thank you both, for everything. You not only saved my life, but that of my family.

LAURA

They're my family, too. Even though I didn't know it at the time.

REMINGTON

Laura is all the family I have. Therefore, her family is mine. I think I'm going to like having an extended family.

(To Laura)

I guess it's time we added to the clan.

Shocked into silence, Laura just stared at her husband.

REMINGTON

Remember this Frank. It's probably the only time you'll ever see Laura speechless.

LAURA

"Add to the clan?" I thought you weren't the fatherly type.

REMINGTON

Anyone can change. I think I'm proof of that.

Laura looked down at her father, who just smiled.

LAURA

(changing the subject) Are they going to give you a new identity?

FRANK

No, I told them that I wasn't running anymore. Tracy and I talked it over, and we feel that Peggy, Jessica and Curtis should have a chance to get to know their sisters. Tracy also felt that I should be near you, to get to know you and Frances again. That is...if you'll let me.

LAURA

If you're willing to stay around, I'm willing to give it another chance. We've already lost twenty years, and Frances and I don't want to lose any more. Life is just too short.

FRANK

Shorter than I ever imagined.

LAURA

Well, we should go and let you get some rest. Tell the kids that Frances and I will be back tomorrow, and we're very anxious to meet them.

Laura hesitantly kissed her father's cheek. Frank, however, pulled her into a hug. Soon, she was hugging him back.

LAURA

Welcome home, Daddy.

Remington put his arm around his wife, leading her to the door.

LAURA

Good night.

FRANK

Good night.

And, as the door closed behind the detectives..the scene freezes.

-------------------------------

CONCLUSION (By Amy Kamplain)

The scene - the bedroom. Laura Holt slowly wakes to the sound of someone breathing next to her.

As she listens she recalls the love she has finally let herself feel for the man sleeping next to her. She rolls over to watch him and finds that he is watching her.

REMINGTON

Good morning, my love. How did you sleep?

LAURA

I have to say that was the best night's sleep I've had in years, what little sleep I did manage to get.

REMINGTON

Is that a complaint I hear?

LAURA

Oh, no, I'm not complaining at all. I just want the chance to return the experience.

REMINGTON

Why, Miss Holt, is that a proposition?

LAURA

It might very well be, but I don't think it's called a proposition when you're married.

REMINGTON

Ah, you say the most wonderful things in the morning.

As they kiss, their passion overtaking them, they hear a timid knock on the door.

LAURA

Let's pretend that we're still asleep. Maybe Mildred will go away.

MILDRED

Boss? Miss Holt—I mean Mrs. Steele? I hate to bother you guys, but there's a long-distance call for you Mrs. Steele. It's Frances, and she sounds pretty upset. She said she's been trying to reach you all night.

LAURA

All right, Mildred, I'll be down in a minute. (to Remington) I wonder what this is all about?

REMINGTON

Maybe she's found another dead man in her kitchen.

LAURA

Very funny. I'll be right back.

When Laura answers the phone, Frances is so hysterical that she is hard to understand.

LAURA

Frannie? Calm down, I can't understand you.

FRANCES

Oh, Laura, you won't believe it. I don't believe it.

LAURA

Believe what? Frannie, you're not making any sense.

FRANCES

Laura, he's come back.

LAURA

Who came back? I thought your dog came back a couple of months ago.

FRANCES

Not my dog, you ninny, Daddy! He's come home, Laura.

LAURA

What do you mean "Daddy's come home?"

FRANCES

You've got to believe me, Laura, he's here. He and Mother are together right now.

LAURA

You've got to be kidding! Mother and Daddy together? I don't believe it.

FRANCES

Believe it. Can you come home right away or are you on a case?

LAURA

I'm not on any case. I'm on my honeymoon.

FRANCES

You're on your honeymoon? Oh, Laura, why didn't you tell me?

LAURA

It was a spur of the moment thing. Mr. Steele and I didn't want to waste anymore time.

FRANCES

Oh, Laura, that's great! I can't wait to tell Mother.

LAURA

Wait, I think I want to tell her myself. Can you keep this a secret?

FRANCES

Sure, just make sure that I don't have to for very long.

LAURA

Deal. I'll make the arrangements to come home and call you back.

FRANCES

Well, I'll let you go to make those arrangements.

LAURA

Okay, Frannie, I call you later. Bye.

FRANCES

Bye, Laura.

MILDRED

What was that all about?

LAURA

The end of my honeymoon, Mildred, that's what. See how soon you can get us a flight home. I'm going upstairs to pack.

MILDRED

Sure thing, honey.

As Laura turns to go back upstairs, she and Mildred hear a knock on the door.

MILDRED

Now who could that be?

LAURA

I'll get it. (answering the door) Tony? What are you doing here?

TONY

I had to see you. Laura, give me a chance to prove to you that Steele is a phony.

LAURA

I don't want to hear it, Tony. I've made my decision, and I'm happy with it.

TONY

Let me guess, you're staying with the bum.

LAURA

He's not a bum. And, yes, I'm staying with him. I love him and he loves me, that's all there is to it. I'm sorry if my decision hurts you Tony, but this is what I want. For the first time in my life I know what I want, and I'm not about to turn my back on it.

TONY

Fine. Have it your way. But don't come cryin' to me when he tears your life into little pieces.

LAURA

Don't worry, he won't.

TONY

We'll see. Only time will tell.

Tony storms out.

MILDRED

Don't worry honey, you made the right decision.

LAURA

I hope so.

MILDRED

Does he make you happy?

LAURA

Yes.

MILDRED

Then don't worry. Only worry when he stops making you happy.

LAURA

I'll remember that. Thanks, Mildred.

MILDRED

No problem. Now you better get packing, and I better make some arrangements.

Back in their bedroom, Laura tells Remington about the phone call.

REMINGTON

So you're just going to go rushing back home to the man who left you?

LAURA

I have to. I need to find out why he left and why he's suddenly decided to return. Don't tell me you're going to fight me on this.

REMINGTON

I'm not going to fight you. I just want to make sure that you're not setting yourself up for a big disappointment. I don't want to see him hurt you again. You are just starting to get over what he's already done to you.

LAURA

With your help. Don't worry, I'm going into this with my eyes open. I'm not going to go running back with open arms. I want some explanations before I even begin to trust him.

REMINGTON

Okay, as long as you aren't expecting too much too soon. What are you going to do if he is setting you up?

LAURA

Well, I don't know. If he is setting me up, I'll just cross that bridge when I get to it. All I know is that I have to go home. I can't let this chance go by. Besides, as long as I have you by my side, he can't hurt me.

REMINGTON

(Taking her in his arms) Just try to keep me away. I love you, Mrs. Steele.

LAURA

I love you too, Mr. Steele. We had a visitor today.

REMINGTON

Really? Who?

LAURA

Tony.

REMINGTON

(sighing) And what did Anthony want this time?

LAURA

Me.

REMINGTON

(starting to get angry) And just what did you say to Mr. Roselli?

LAURA

(laughing at his jealousy) I told him I would have to think about his offer.

REMINGTON

You have to think about it? After last night I would assume that you had nothing more to think about.

LAURA

Do I detect a note of jealousy?

REMINGTON

Well, no, not really. Oh, bloody hell! Yes, I am jealous. I will not have my wife mulling over offers from other men.

LAURA

Ha! I knew it.

REMINGTON

I'm glad that my jealousy has made you so happy.

LAURA

It shows that you do care about me.

REMINGTON

I thought that you knew that already.

LAURA

A girl likes to heard it now and then.

REMINGTON

Oh, don't worry, you will be hearing it a lot from now on.

LAURA

That's comforting to know. We better start packing.

REMINGTON

Just a minute. You didn't tell me what you are going to do about Anthony.

LAURA

I told him that I want to stay with you because you make me happy.

REMINGTON

That's better. Let's hope that we don't hear from him for a long time.

LAURA

Sounds good to me.

REMINGTON

I'll get the suitcases.

On the plane home, Laura is quiet. Almost too quiet.

REMINGTON

Laura, you've been quiet all day. Are you all right?

LAURA

Just thinking. I don't know what I'm going to say to him.

REMINGTON

Don't worry, the words will come.

LAURA

How can you be so sure?

REMINGTON

I felt the same way when Daniel told me he was my father. I stormed out of the room knowing I had nothing to say to him. After I thought about it, I realized that there was indeed something I had to say to him, a question really. I only wished I had had the chance to get the answer.

LAURA

Let me guess, you wanted to know your real name.

REMINGTON

Yes. And now I'll never know. Because I was angry, I can never give you a proper name.

LAURA

Don't worry, you're Remington Steele now and that's all that matters. Besides, you do have a "real" name.

REMINGTON

What do you mean?

LAURA

Daniel always called you Harry didn't he?

REMINGTON

Well, yes, I guess he did.

LAURA

Well, then, there you have it. Your real name is Harry Chalmers. Now, I don't ever want to hear you worrying about it again. Got it?

REMINGTON

Yes, Mrs. Steele, I've got it.

Shortly thereafter the plane lands. The Steeles are met by Frances and Donald.

After saying their hellos and offering congratulations on the marriage, the conversation turns to the return of Frank Holt.

LAURA

So, Frannie, any word on why he's here?

FRANCES

No, he won't say anything until we are all together.

REMINGTON

Where is he now?

FRANCES

He and Mother are off talking somewhere. They've been doing that a lot.

LAURA

I can't blame them. They must have a lot to talk about.

DONALD

Come on, I'm sure you weary travelers want to get cleaned up before the big meeting.

REMINGTON

Ah, yes, a shower does sound refreshing. I must admit, I am quite nervous about meeting your father, Laura. I've never been brought home to meet my girl's father before. I hope I make a good impression.

LAURA

Don't worry, I love you and that's all that matters.

REMINGTON

That's all I ever wanted. Shall we go?

DONALD

Yes, let's. We'll drop you off. Why don't you come over about seven tonight?

LAURA

Sounds good.

That afternoon Remington and Laura drop by her loft to get her mail.

REMINGTON

You know, we are going to have to go house hunting soon.

LAURA

What?

REMINGTON

You heard me. I think that we should find a place that can be ours. Not yours or mine, but ours.

LAURA

That sounds like a great idea, what made you think of it?

REMINGTON

It just seems like the right thing to do. Besides, I only want to make you happy. I thought that looking for a house together might do just that.

LAURA

It will. But just having you around makes me happy.

REMINGTON

Well, then, it looks like you're going to be happy for a very long time, if I have anything to say about it.

LAURA

Is that right?

The scene fades to black as Remington pulls Laura into a passionate kiss.

That night at the Pipers', Laura begins to pace while waiting for her father to show up.

REMINGTON

Laura, calm down. Pacing won't do any good.

LAURA

If I don't keep moving I'm going to go crazy. What time did Frannie say he was coming?

REMINGTON

Not for another few minutes. Now, come over here and sit down. I can think of better ways to pass the time than pacing restlessly.

LAURA

(joining Remington on the couch) Oh, you can, can you?

REMINGTON

(pulling her into a deep kiss) I believe I can.

FRANCES

Whoops, sorry. I never should have left you two newlyweds alone.

LAURA

(slightly embarrassed) That's okay, Frannie, we can pick up where we left off later.

REMINGTON

We may need to start over, though.

FRANCES

Daddy should be here any minute.

LAURA

Good, because I have a few questions to ask him.

At that moment, Frank and Abigail Holt come into the room.

FRANK

Ask away, Laura.

LAURA

Daddy?

FRANK

Yes, it's me. Are you glad to see me?

LAURA

Yes, of course, I'm glad to see you.

FRANK

Then come over here and give me a hug. You too, Frannie. It's been too long since I had you girls in my arms.

LAURA

(after a few minutes of hugging) Oh, Daddy, it's so good to see you.

FRANK

You too, honey. Who's that fella on the couch giving me the once over?

LAURA

Daddy, I want you to meet my husband, Remington Steele.

REMINGTON

(standing and offering Frank his hand) I'm also Laura's business partner. Nice to

meet you old chap.

LAURA

Partner?

REMINGTON

I like the sound of it better than associate, don't you?

LAURA

Well, yes, I guess I do. You know, you've just been full of surprises lately.

REMINGTON

It's just the beginning, my dear.

ABIGAIL

Laura, what are you talking about? You and Mr. Steele are married?

LAURA

It's true, Mother, we got married a couple of weeks ago.

ABIGAIL

And you didn't tell your mother? How could you?

REMINGTON

Ah, Mrs. Holt, that would be my fault. I've kept Laura so busy on our honeymoon that she hasn't had time to call anyone.

FRANK

You better be treating my girl all right.

REMINGTON

(thinking Frank has no right to feel that way after abandoning Laura) I believe so. Otherwise Laura wouldn't have married me.

LAURA

(wondering how come Remington is being so pleasant) I want to know why.

FRANK

Why what honey?

LAURA

Why you left, why you came back.

FRANCES

I want to know the same thing. What did we do wrong, Daddy? Why did you leave us? Where have you been all these years? Why haven't you tried to get in touch with us?

FRANK

Oh, girls, its not your fault that I left, or your mother's. It's a long story, but I guess you have the right to know. I've already told your mother some of it, I guess now is the time to tell you all of it.

LAURA

(taking Remington's hand in hers) I can't wait to hear it.

FRANK

I hope that you can help me, Laura, and you too, Mr. Steele.

LAURA

Help you? How?

FRANK

Find my daughter Alex.

ABIGAIL

What are you saying, Frank?

LAURA

Your daughter? I thought that Frannie and I were your only children. How can I help you now?

FRANK

It's all my fault. Now I gotta help her, but the only way I can is with help from all of you.

ABIGAIL

First, you'd better tell us how you managed to get another daughter.

FRANK

I know that you deserve an explanation, and I will give you one. Alex is the result of an affair I had with my secretary. I didn't know about her until I ran into her aunt about six months ago. I decided it was time I started taking responsibility for my family again, and I tracked her down.

REMINGTON

If you've found her, why do you need our help?

FRANK

That's the problem. I've lost her again.

LAURA

Why don't you start at the beginning, then we'll see how we can help.

FRANK

It all began when I got a job working for a friend of mine. He said the work would be easy, great money for a little work. I thought a little extra money would come in handy, so I said okay. I told your mother that I was going for some beer, and left for the job. I thought I would be back before morning.

When I got to the parking lot, my friend said that it was all set. We went out to the docks and got on a fishing boat. After we cast off, my friend told me what we were really planning on doing. He planned to steal some big gold shipment. I told him that I was a family man and I wanted no part of it.

I then made the biggest mistake of my life, I turned my back on him. He clubbed me.

The next thing I knew, I was in the back of a truck full of gold with a dead guard sitting next to me. I didn't know what to do.

Luckily for me the truck was stopped with a flat tire. My friend got out to change it and saw cops coming. He took off for the woods. The cops arrested me, but I was able to plea bargain my way out. In exchange for my freedom, I was sent on undercover missions for the government. They told me it would be best if I left my family. I agreed with them, I didn't want you to know that I was a criminal.

LAURA

We wouldn't have cared. It was worse thinking that you didn't care about us.

FRANK

I never stopped caring about you.

LAURA

Then tell me why you want my help finding someone who is supposedly my sister.

FRANK

She works for the FBI. From what she's told me, she had a very hard life. Her mother died when she was only five, and she was pushed around. She's not very open about what she's done in her life.

REMINGTON

How did you lose her?

FRANK

I met up with her when she wasn't working on any cases. So we spent about a week just getting to know one another.

LAURA

Then what happened?

FRANK

Boy, can't tell that you're a detective. She got a call about two weeks ago telling her about some case she was to start working on. She told me not to worry, that it wasn't very dangerous and that she should be back in about a week.

Well, it's been two weeks and no one has heard from her, not even her boss at the FBI. I started to get worried and decided that the only way I was going to find her was if I did it my self. I tracked her to LA, then the trail went cold.

I was hoping that my daughter the detective might be able to pick up her trail.

LAURA

Do you have any idea what she was working on?

FRANK

No. The FBI won't tell me anything. I feel lucky that I was able to track her this far.

LAURA

When was she last seen?

FRANK

I was able to place her at the airport six days ago. Then she just disappeared.

LAURA

We'll look into it first thing in the morning. Do you have a picture of her?

FRANK

Yes, this was taken the day before she disappeared. Thank you, Laura, I don't

know what I would do if anything ever happened to you girls.

FRANCES

Wow, what an evening.

ABIGAIL

That is an understatement, dear. I think that I'm ready for bed. Good night, everyone.

LAURA

Will you come down to the office in the morning, Daddy? Maybe you and Mildred can come up with something on the computer.

FRANK

Honey, wild horses couldn't keep me away.

FRANCES

Oh, Daddy, I'm so glad you're back.

FRANK

Me, too, honey. And don't worry, we will find your sister.

LAURA

I'm sure that we will know more by this time tomorrow. Let's go home.

REMINGTON

Okay. Good night, everyone. Oh, Mr. Holt? It was nice meeting you.

FRANK

You too, Mr. Steele, but why don't you call me Frank?

REMINGON

Well, I guess so, Frank. See you in the morning.

FRANK

Yes, I'll be there.

LAURA

(in the car on the way home) You know, now that I can compare you two side by side, I realize that you are like my father after all.

REMINGTON

Oh? How's that?

LAURA

I know that you will always be here for me, and now I find that my father will still come running whenever one of us is in trouble.

REMINGTON

That is a very good thing to know. I didn't want to say anything before, but I know your sister.

LAURA

You know her? How?

REMINGTON

A few years ago, before I met you, and before she joined the FBI, we worked together in Hawaii with Daniel. I ran into her about a year ago when we needed a little information.

LAURA

You mean that friend of yours in Malibu?

REMINGTON

That's her.

LAURA

Is there anyone that you don't know?

REMINGTON

Well, I've never met your father before.

LAURA

At least that's a start.

The next morning finds Remington, Laura, Abigail, and Frank all gathered around Mildred and the computer.

LAURA

What have you found Mildred?

MILDRED

Not much. Your sister kept a pretty low profile.

REMINGTON

Is there any indication as to where she's been in the last two weeks?

MILDRED

Bubkis. I can't find anything that says she even left the house. No travelers checks, credit card receipts, nothing.

LAURA

Well, keep trying. Maybe something will turn up. Dad, can you show us where she was last seen?

FRANK

Sure, but I don't know what good it'll do.

REMINGTON

Ah, Frank, never underestimate my wife. If it can be found, she will find it.

LAURA

Thanks for the vote of confidence. Now, let's get going.

ABIGAIL

What do you want me to do?

LAURA

You might as well come along, maybe you can pick up on something.

At the airport, the group questions everyone who may have seen Alex. They find that the only people who saw her were the airport security guards who stopped her at the gate. The guards say that there was a man with her, and she acted like she was not very fond of him. The guards remember that the man looked like he was mad, but other than that he was very non-descript. Having very little to go on, the group decides to go back to the office to see if Mildred has had any better luck.

LAURA

Any luck Mildred?

MILDRED

Nope. This package came for you, though.

REMINGTON

Who's it from?

MILDRED

No return address.

LAURA

(opening the package) Oh, my God.

REMINGTON

What is it Laura?

LAURA

Descoine.

REMINGTON

What? I thought he was in jail?

LAURA

So did I. Mildred call Det. Jarvis and tell him that Descoine has sent us a gift.

MILDRED

You got it.

FRANK

Did you say Descoine? As in Major Descoine?

LAURA

Yes. Do you know him?

FRANK

Unfortuneatly, no. But when Alex and I were talking one night, she said that this Descoine fellow was her hardest case. She also said that it wouldn't surprise her if he tried to get even with her one day.

LAURA

That sounds like the Major. A few years ago, to get even with us he tried to frame Remington for murder. Then about a year after that, he tried to kill us both with some elaborate scheme. Lucky for us, he doesn't succeed very often.

FRANK

But what if he has your sister.

REMINGTON

Don't worry, we'll get him. And this time he won't get back out.

LAURA

You don't suppose he's taken Alex down into the tunnels, do you?

REMINGTON

It's a possibility.

LAURA

Then let's get going.

REMINGTON

What if this is a trap? What if he wants us to go into the tunnels as part of his plan to exact revenge?

LAURA

Good point, maybe we should send Jarvis instead.

REMINGTON

I think that would be a good idea.

The family gathers at the tunnel entrance, while Det. Jarvis and his men go inside.

LAURA

Do you think that they will find anything?

FRANK

They had better find your sister.

REMINGTON

Don't worry, they will.

At that moment, Det. Jarvis comes out of the tunnel.

JARVIS

We've found no trace of her or the Major.

LAURA

Well, it's back to the drawing board.

REMINGTON

You don't suppose that the Major is following us.

LAURA

He probably is.

REMINGTON

Maybe we should follow him.

LAURA

How?

REMINGTON

The North Avenue Irregulars, Edward Hermann, Susan Clark, Karen Valentine, Michael Constantine, Cloris Leachman; Walt Disney Pictures, 1978.

FRANK

Laura, what is he babbling about?

LAURA

A great idea, that's what.

FRANK

What?

REMINGTON

Descoine is expecting us to follow him. He is not expecting a bunch of old ladies to follow him.

FRANK

Now I'm beginning to see you point.

The scene cuts to a group of what appears to be old ladies, but is actually Laura, Remington, Frank, Abigail, and Mildred discussing how to catch Descoine.

LAURA

All right. Everyone have their walkie talkies?

MILDRED

Yep.

LAURA

Then let's hit the road.

The group doesn't have much success on the first day.

The second day, however, Laura spots the Major but loses him in the tunnels.

REMINGTON

I don't think we should give up now. It's clear that he is still in the tunnels. I think we should cover the exits and wait him out.

FRANK

That's my little girl in there, I'm not waiting.

LAURA

Daddy, wait!

REMINGTON

We might as well go after him.

In the tunnels, Frank, Laura, and Remington find the Major waiting for them.

As they get closer, they realize that the Major is dead.

REMINGTON

Now what do we do? How are we going to find Alex?

A voice in the darkness answers Remington's question.

PETER

Don't worry, Mr. Steele, she's right here.

FRANK

Alex, are you okay?

ALEX

(weakly) I think so.

FRANK

Who are you and what gives you the right to do this to my family? PETER

Don't you remember me, Frank? I'm the one who set you up with the government.

FRANK

Oh, my God! Peter! Is that you?

PETER

It's me, Frank. And now it's your turn to suffer.

FRANK

Suffer? Why?

PETER

All these years I've had to live on the run because of you.

FRANK

What about me? I suffered too. I had to give up my family because of you!

PETER

It's not the same. It doesn't matter anyway, in five minutes you will all be dead.

FRANK

Peter, don't.

PETER

Too late, Frank. I already did. You see, I'm not even in the tunnels.

FRANK

Peter, you can't. Let the kids go.

PETER

And spoil my fun? Goodbye, Frank, I hope you've had a wonderful life, because its almost over.

LAURA

Five minutes? How are we going to find the bomb in only five minutes?

ALEX

Easy, it's taped to me.

REMINGTON

Oh, no. How did this happen, Lex?

ALEX

Beats me, Harry. You'd better be leaving if you don't want to get blown up.

FRANK

I'm not leaving without my daughter.

ALEX

Well, then, the least you can do is untie me so I can defuse this bomb.

LAURA

You can defuse a bomb?

ALEX

Most of them. They teach you all kinds of useful things in the academy.

REMINGTON

Here you go. And make it snappy.

With five seconds to spare, Alex defuses the bomb.

ALEX

That wasn't so bad now, was it?

LAURA

Oh, no, I enjoy being scared to death.

REMINGTON

Come now, let's get out of here.

FRANK

Good idea. I want to introduce you to the rest of the family.

ALEX

I think we should worry about your friend Peter first.

LAURA

Do you have any idea where he was?

ALEX

No. I was out of it most of the time.

REMINGTON

Let's discuss this outside, I'm beginning to find it quite stuffy in here.

Outside, they find a car coming towards them.

LAURA

I wonder who that is?

ALEX

You didn't by chance happen to call the police did you, Harry?

REMINGTON

No time.

FRANK

It looks like Peter. It is Peter! Run!

ALEX

I can't. Go on without me, it's you he's after.

Frank starts running, trying to draw Peter away from his family. He runs back toward the tunnels, and idea forming in his mind. He gets back into the tunnels and finds the bomb. He manages to reset it for one minute. He then races back toward Peter.

Peter speeds up, wanting to get to his enemy faster.

At the last second, Frank tosses the bomb at Peter and starts running the other way. Peter never suspected that Frank would do such a thing and starts to laugh.

The bomb goes off, killing his laughter.

LAURA

Daddy? Daddy, are you all right?

FRANK

I hope so. I have a lot of catching up to do.

REMINGTON

I think we better get you and Alex to the hospital.

LAURA

Thank God that's over.

REMINGTON

Yes. We don't have to worry about the Major anymore.

ALEX

You know, I will have to repay you for saving my life.

LAURA

No, you don't, that's what big sisters are for.

ALEX

I think I'm going to like having a big sister.

LAURA

And I'm going to like being one.

Fade to black.

------------------------------

END