DANCER, PRANCER, DONNER AND STEELE--AN ADDITION

By: Melissa Jones

E-mail: MRHSfan@aol.com

First printed: More Red Holt Steele #5

Summary: Laura and Remington spend Christmas together after the hostage situation.

Disclaimer: This “Remington Steele” story is not-for-profit and is purely for entertainment purposes. The author and this site do not own the characters and are in no way affiliated with “Remington Steele,” the actors, their agents, the producers, MTM Productions, the NBC Television Network or any station or network carrying the show in syndication, or anyone in the industry.

------------------------------

Mildred waved as she left the office, leaving Laura and Remington alone.

"I'm glad Mildred's spending Christmas with her sister and nephew," Laura said, walking into her office and retrieving her purse from the bottom drawer of her desk. "I was worried that she'd have to spend Christmas alone."

"Mm," Remington responded, straightening his tie and buttoning his jacket as he waited for Laura to join him in the front office. "So, what are you doing this evening?"

"Frances invited me to have Christmas dinner," Laura answered nonchalantly, exiting her office and closing the door.

"Ah, well. I'm sure you'll have a good time," Remington said, a hint of disappointment in his voice. Laura looked at him curiously.

"What are you going to do?" she asked.

"Me? Oh, well, after this little fiasco, I thought I'd just relax with a simple dinner and maybe watch It's a Wonderful Life," Remington said in forced cheerfulness, refusing to meet Laura's probing gaze.

"Alone?" she asked sympathetically as Remington held the glass office door open for her and turned out the lights.

"Yes," Remington answered tersely, bending and locking the office doors.

"You shouldn't spend Christmas alone," Laura said as Remington straightened. "Why don't you come with me to Frances'? I know she'd love to have you there. So would the kids. They adore you."

Remington chuckled uncomfortably. "Thank you for the offer, but I really don't think I should go," he explained as they headed for the elevator. "I'm not very good in family settings. Besides, they're your family, and you don't always get to see them. You should spend the holidays with them, and not with a business associate you see every day."

"My family likes you, and I certainly don't mind spending today with you. I like spending time with you. You know that," Laura said softly, putting her hand on Remington's arm as they stopped before the elevator. Remington pressed the down button and smiled at Laura.

"I know," he whispered, leaning down and giving Laura a quick kiss on the cheek. "But I'll be okay, really. You go have dinner with your family and enjoy yourself."

"Are you sure?" Laura asked worriedly as they stepped into the opening elevator.

"Positive," Remington answered in forced cheerfulness as he hit the first floor button. Laura and Remington stared ahead in uncomfortable silence as the elevator doors slid closed.

****

Laura rang the doorbell of Frances' house, trying to shake the nagging feeling that she should be somewhere else. She shuffled the neatly-wrapped presents she held as the door opened.

"Laura!" Frances Piper cried happily at the sight of her sister. "Come in, come in."

Laura smiled and stepped into the living room. Donald Piper rose from his easy chair to exchange greetings with his sister-in-law and take the gifts from her arms. Mindi, Danny and Laurie Beth Piper stood up to greet their aunt, looking eagerly at the packages their father now held. Laura greeted her relatives pleasantly, trying to forget her uneasy feeling.

"We heard about the hostage-taking on television," Frances said, pulling Laura to the couch and sitting down next to her. "Thank God everyone's all right. You must have been terrified!"

"It was pretty scary," Laura admitted, her stomach knotting at the memory of the hell she had been through when three Santas had held everyone in the office at gunpoint. They had barely escaped with their lives.

"We heard that you and Mr. Steele were the heroes of the hour, capturing the leader and all," Donald said excitedly, sitting again in his chair opposite Laura and Frances. He still held the presents.

"Yeah, that was cool, Aunt Laura," Danny said brightly.

"Thanks, Danny," Laura laughed. "But I'm glad it's over. I want to forget it now and concentrate on more important things."

"Okay," Danny said, covering his face with a pleading expression. "Um, Aunt Laura, can we open our presents now?" Laura smiled.

"Sure," she answered. Laura laughed as the children eagerly crowded Donald, retrieving their gifts. Donald was left holding two packages. He rose and gave one to Frances, and sat back down to open his.

"My four children," Frances teased as ripping sounds filled the room. Laura smiled, but her smile slowly faded as she thought again of Remington.

"Dinner should be ready soon," Frances announced. Laura stared off into space, oblivious to her sister's words. "Laura?"

"Hmm?" Laura asked, snapping back to the present. "Oh, I'm sorry. What did you say?"

"Are you okay?" Frances asked, setting her gift aside and giving Laura a concerned look. "You aren't thinking about the hostage-taking, are you?"

"No, no," Laura said, shaking her head. She stared at her lap, trying to put Remington out of her mind, but it was impossible.

"Well, you don't need to worry about anything. It's Christmas, and you're safe. You're with your family." Laura's expression grew troubled, and she bit her lower lip. "Laura? What is it?" Laura sat in silence for a moment. Suddenly she rose from the couch, a determined look on her face.

"Frances, I'm so sorry, but I can't stay," Laura said, moving toward the door.

"What? Why?" Frances asked, rising and following her sister to the door.

"It's a bit hard to explain, and I'm not sure you would understand," Laura said, stopping at the door and turning to Frances, who now stood behind her. Laura gripped the doorknob as she sighed heavily. "See, I have a friend who's spending Christmas alone, and who's spent far too many Christmas' alone. I just can't let him spend this one alone. Do you understand?"

Frances smiled. "Yes, I understand. It's okay. You're right. No one should be alone on Christmas."

"Thanks, Frances," Laura said, hugging her sister.

"Sure," Frances said. She released Laura, and watched her walk out the front door. "Oh, and Laura?" Laura stopped and turned toward Frances. "Give our love to Mr. Steele, and wish him a Merry Christmas for us."

Laura smiled, knowing that Frances truly understood. "I will, Frances." She turned and headed toward her car.

****

Laura pulled her Volkswagen Rabbit convertible up in front of Harriet's Deli, surprised to find it open on Christmas afternoon. She got out of the car and headed for the entrance to the deli, passing an old woman sitting at a table. Laura glanced quickly at the homemade Christmas ornaments that dotted the table before entering the deli. She ordered two Christmas special dinners to go as she thought of surprising Remington with Christmas dinner. She hoped he wouldn't mind partaking in a bit of Christmas cheer, despite his usual discomfort regarding holiday traditions.

Laura left the deli carrying two Styrofoam containers. The scent tantalized her nostrils and made her mouth water with anticipation. As she crossed the double-wide sidewalk, her eyes again fell to the table on her right. She scanned the various ornaments, and stopped when her eyes caught something bright red. Laura walked up to the table, staring at the object in amazement.

"Perfect," she whispered to herself, a grin lighting up her face.

"Can I help you?" the woman asked. She sat in a folding chair, crowded by pre-form boxes and boxes of tissue paper on her left and a bag full of more ornaments on her right.

"Yes. How much for this ornament?" Laura asked, pointing to the ornament in the middle of the table.

"That one? Only five dollars. It's not one of my best," the woman admitted.

"Oh, it's perfect. I'll take it," Laura replied gleefully, shifting the food containers to her right hand and digging in her purse with her left. She produced a five-dollar bill and handed it to the woman.

"Thank you. Would you like me to put it in a box for you?" the woman replied.

"Yes, please," Laura responded. The woman nodded and picked up a pre-form sheet. She folded it along the seams, forming a small, white box. She stuffed a piece of green tissue paper into the box and placed the ornament delicately inside, covering it with another piece of tissue paper. The woman closed the box and handed it to Laura.

"Thank you so much," Laura said, placing the box on top of the food containers as she walked over to the driver's side door of her car. "And Merry Christmas," she called to the woman.

"Merry Christmas to you, my dear," the woman replied cheerfully as Laura got into her car, started the engine and sped away.

****

Remington sat on the edge of his bed and rubbed his wet, ebony hair with a towel. He yawned, still a bit drowsy from the four-hour nap he had taken prior to his shower. His stomach rumbled, reminding him that he hadn't eaten in nearly twenty-four hours. As he rose from his bed, the doorbell buzzed. Remington tossed the towel onto the bed, combed his hair down with his fingers, and went to answer the door.

Remington pulled the door open as the buzzer sounded again. He gasped, surprised to see Laura standing on the other side.

"I thought you were going to have dinner with your family," Remington said, placing his hand on his hip in a scolding manner.

"I was, but I know you really wanted me to have dinner with you, and I just couldn't refuse," Laura excused, pushing past Remington and entering the apartment. Remington closed the door and followed Laura into the kitchen.

"Laura, you didn't have to do this. You shouldn't have done this," Remington argued as Laura set the containers she was carrying down and pulled two plates from the cabinet. "I mean, it's not as if I've never spent a holiday alone before."

"Exactly why you shouldn't spend this one alone," Laura countered. "Besides, it doesn't matter. What's done is done. You're stuck with me this evening whether you like it or not." Laura opened the containers and transferred the food to the plates. "I thought you might like some Christmas dinner. It's not exactly homemade, but it will serve the purpose. We'd better eat it quickly, though, before it gets cold. Can you set the table while I finish getting this ready? I'll also open a bottle of champagne. This is a special night, after all," Laura instructed cheerfully, moving toward the refrigerator.

Remington stared at her for a few seconds, then shook his head in defeat. He knew better than to challenge Laura when she was this determined. Besides, the thought of spending Christmas with her secretly delighted him. He shrugged and left to set the table.

Laura smiled triumphantly as Remington left the room. She knew she had made him happy, and it thrilled her. After listening to his story of the most memorable Christmas he had, where he followed a boy and his father to snatch the boy's sled, Laura knew he more than deserved to have a happy Christmas. Besides, there was no one she wanted to be with more this evening than him.

Remington returned as Laura stuffed the now-opened champagne bottle into a bucket of ice.

"Do you need any help?" Remington offered.

"Yes. Carry this," Laura answered, handing him the champagne container. Laura grabbed the dinner plates and followed him into the dining room. She smiled at the sight of the candle-lit table. Laura set the plates on the placemats as Remington sat the champagne bucket on the table.

"Is that it? What about the box you brought in?" Remington asked as he prepared to pull Laura's seat out for her.

"Box? Oh!" Laura cried, rushing back into the kitchen. She returned and held the white box out to him. As he reached for it, Laura suddenly pulled it back to her chest.

"No," she said decisively. "Not yet. Dinner first." She crossed the room to the Christmas tree in the corner that she had helped Remington put up a few nights before. Laura bent and placed the box under the tree. Laura returned to the dining room and accepted the chair Remington pulled out for her. Laura secretly enjoyed Remington's curious gaze, but she refused to meet it, or give any clues as to what the small white box contained. Remington sat opposite her and poured the champagne into their glasses. They ate in silence for a moment before Remington cleared his throat uncomfortably.

"Laura, I...uh..." his voice trailed off.

"Yes?" Laura asked, looking up at him plainly.

"I can't say I agree that you should be here instead of with your family," Remington began.

"But?" Laura encouraged, a grin tugging at the corners of her mouth. Remington smiled, and his expression softened as he looked up at her.

"But, I'm very glad you're here," he replied, reaching across the table and taking her hand. Laura smiled broadly.

"So am I," she replied. She lowered her fork and reached for her champagne glass, raising it. "Here's to a quiet Christmas for two." Remington smiled as he raised his glass toward hers.

"Here, here," he returned. They clinked their glasses together and sipped the bittersweet liquid. The warmth they felt from the alcohol couldn't compare to the warmth they felt from each other. Remington and Laura finished their dinner in blissful silence.

****

Remington and Laura lay on their sides in front of the fire, facing each other. They sipped the remainder of their champagne as they chatted innocently. Laura told him of past Christmas' with her family, and the gifts she had received as a child. Remington smiled as she described her first bicycle.

"That bike saved my skin and took it off several times," Laura said, laughing at her memories.

"What do you mean?" Remington asked.

"Well, it took my skin with all the accidents I had on it. Usually doing daredevil stunts," Laura admitted. Remington laughed.

"I'm not surprised," he teased. Laura smacked his arm playfully, an exasperated look on her face. Remington raised his right hand in a peaceful gesture and finished his champagne. "And the skin-saving?"

"I had a tendency to get into trouble that sometimes required my making a hasty exit," Laura explained, sipping from her glass.

"You?" Remington asked incredulously. "You were a troublemaker?"

"Well, actually I played vigilante. I used to stand up to the neighborhood bullies. I was somewhat of a tomboy when I was a kid," Laura said.

"A bit of that wild Laura, eh?" Remington asked. "Sounds like you got into as many scrapes as a kid as I did. Of course, you weren't out to grab sleds from little boys."

Laura smiled and downed the last bit of champagne. Her eyes fell to the small white box still sitting under the Christmas tree.

"Oh, I almost forgot," Laura said, sitting up and placing her empty glass on the coffee table. She rose and walked around Remington, squatting down to retrieve the box. She returned to her original location and handed the box to Remington. He sat up, put his glass on the table next to Laura's, and accepted the box with a look of curiosity.

"Just a little something to make your Christmas better," Laura explained. "And a little promise I wanted to keep."

Remington stared at Laura with curiosity before opening the box. He pulled out the top sheet of green tissue paper and gasped at the contents. Remington lifted the ornament out by its looped golden string, letting the red, tiny sled spin as the string untwisted itself.

"One flexible flier, coming up," Laura whispered, staring at him lovingly.

Remington grinned with delight, his eyes filling with tears as he stared at the small sled. He looked up at Laura, the affection in his eyes matching hers. He felt the warmth in his chest that he had felt earlier that morning when Laura had made the same statement after hearing his Christmas story. The warmth grew exponentially as he stared at the beautiful woman who had touched him so deeply. His heart beat rapidly as he tried to control the rush of intense emotions that filled him.

"Thank you," he managed to whisper before the emotional lump in his throat kept the words from escaping.

"My pleasure, Mr. Steele," Laura returned quietly, trying to stop her own joyful tears from falling. Remington set the box aside and stood up, still holding the sled in his right hand. He offered Laura his left hand.

"Will you help me hang it on the tree?" he asked. Her questioning gaze dissolved into a warm smile. She accepted Remington's hand, and allowed him to help pull her to her feet. They took the few steps needed toward the Christmas tree. Remington stood just behind Laura, silently revelling in her presence as he scanned the tree for a spot to hang his ornament.

"How about there?" Laura asked, pointing to a clear spot near the top of the tree.

"Perfect," Remington said, his mouth close to her left ear. "Want to help?" Laura nodded, placing her hand on top of Remington's as he lifted the ornament toward the tree. She helped slide the string over the green branch, letting the sled dangle from its new home. Remington held on to Laura's hand as she dropped it, then wrapped his arms around hers, pulling her gently against him. Laura laid he head back onto Remington's shoulder. They stared at the tree in silence, basking in the warmth of each other.

"Merry Christmas, Mr. Steele," Laura whispered after a few moments. Remington responded by slowly turning Laura around to face him. He took her face gently in his hands, sliding his fingers into her thick, chestnut hair. He stared at her lovingly, his heart accelerating.

"Merry Christmas, Miss Holt," he whispered, his voice barely audible as he leaned toward her. He kissed her slowly, tenderly. Laura responded by wrapping her arms around his back, pulling him closer. Her lips moved against his, matching his tenderness and passion. Remington lowered his hands to Laura's torso, pulling her completely against his frame. They stood in the tight embrace, lost in the warmth of each kiss. Suddenly, Laura began to pull away. Remington knew what it meant. He was getting to close, and she still wasn't sure how he felt about her.

"Well," Laura said, catching her breath and trying to hide the feelings Remington's kisses had evoked, "I'm glad you liked the ornament."

"I did," Remington said, loosening his embrace, but continuing to hold her close. "I can't tell you how much it means to me, Laura. It's the best gift I've ever received."

"Really?" Laura asked, surprised. Remington smiled and kissed her softly again.

"Really," he whispered. Laura smiled.

"I'm glad. I just wanted you to have a good Christmas this year. I want you to be happy," Laura explained.

"I am happy. Very happy," Remington assured her. "You make me happy, Laura."

"You...make me happy, too," Laura said slowly, as if afraid to admit her feelings.

"See? I was right all along. We do make a perfect couple," Remington said, smiling at Laura. She laughed as she placed her head flat against his chest and closed her eyes. Laura sighed happily, wrapping her arms around Remington's waist. Remington embraced Laura tightly, tilting his head down to kiss the top of hers. His eyes fell to the sled hanging proudly before him. He smiled, knowing that at least he had something he could treasure forever.

Laura pulled back slightly and stared at him affectionately. Remington grinned as he returned her gaze. Make that two things he could treasure forever.

END