Beloved Key West
In 1997 this poem was reported to have been found in a trunk at a storage area on the Navy Base.
Author unknown, this poem was written by a serviceman stationed in Key West during the War.
When the brand new Sculpture Garden at Mallory Square was dedicated in late 1997 a time capsule was buried at the Sculpture Garden containing information info about what political issues were happening (Standard Time Capsule Stuff). Included was a copy of this poem and if they open the time capsule as planned in 100 years, people will again get to enjoy this authors work, Dated 1942
Beloved Key West
- Key West, oh Key West you moth eaten town,
- Your unpainted houses should all be torn down.
- Your winters are damp and your summers too are hot,
- The air is humid with mildew and rot.
- The land of bad colds, of sore throats and flu.
- Of stiff aching muscles, pneumonia too,
- Your people dull witted and God, what a bore.
- Your streets are filthy as spring now approaches,
- This materially adds to your crop of cockroaches.
- The home of side porches and bumpy thoroughfares,
- With slovenly girls and their awful bland stares.
- You live among roaches and don't mind the rats,
- And all seem to thrive on mosquitoes and gnats,
- You don't speak English, you talk Cubanese,
- Inhaling sewer gas which you think is the breeze.
- You make us pay double for all that you sell,
- But after this war you can go straight to Hell!
- And when you reach Hades and Satan greets you,
- You'll feel right at home, for he's a Key Wester too!
- Yes, Key West. oh Key West, it isn't all gravy,
- To be plunked at your feet by Uncle Sam's Navy.
- Have you ever wondered why none of us grieve?
- Why all of us welcome the first chance to leave.
- The worst of it all is you think you are swell,
- You think that you are perfect - that gripes like Hell.
- You're rotten, you're dead, and you think you're alive.
- You think you're a place - instead you're a dive.
- You're not worth this paper, you're not worth this ink,
- You can take it from me dear old Key West, YOU STINK!