Principles of Belief (1)
- We practice rites to attune ourselves with the natural rhythm of life
forces marked by the phases of the Moon and the seasonal quarters and
- We recognize that our intelligence gives us a unique responsibility toward
our environment. We seek to live in harmony with Nature, in ecological
balance offering fulfillment to life and consciousness within an
- We acknowledge a depth of power far greater than is apparent to the
average person. Because it is far greater than ordinary, it is sometimes
called "supernatural," but we see it as lying within that which is
naturally potential to all.
- We conceive of the Creative Power in the Universe as manifesting through
polarity-as masculine and feminine-and that this same creative Power lives
in all people, and functions through the interaction of the masculine and
feminine. We value neither above the other, knowing each to be supportive of
the other. We value sexuality as pleasure, as the symbol and embodiment of
Life, and as one of the sources of energies used in magickal practice and
- We recognize both outer worlds and inner, or psychological
worlds-sometimes known as the Spiritual World, the Collective Unconscious,
the Inner Planes, etc.-and we see in the interaction of these two dimensions
the basis for paranormal phenomena and magickal exercises. We neglect
neither dimension for the other, seeing both as necessary for out
- We do not recognize any authoritarian hierarchy, but do honor those who
teach, respect those who share their greater knowledge and wisdom, and
acknowledge those who have courageously given of themselves in leadership.
- We see religion, magick, and wisdom-in-living as being united in the way
one views the world and lives within it-a world view and philosophy of life,
which we identify as Witchcraft or the Wiccan Way.
- Calling oneself "Witch" does not make a Witch-but neither does
heredity itself, or the collecting of titles, degrees, and initiations. A
Witch seeks to control the forces within him/herself that make life possible
in order to live wisely and well, without harm to others, and in harmony
- We acknowledge that it is the affirmation and fulfillment of life, in a
continuation of evolution and development of consciousness, that gives
meaning to the Universe we know, and to out personal role within it.
- Our only animosity toward Christianity, or toward any other religion or
philosophy-of-life, is to the extent that its institutions have claimed to
be "the one true right and only way" and have sought to deny
freedom to others and to suppress other ways of religious practices and
- As American Witches, we are not threatened by debates on the history of
the Craft, the origins of various terms, the legitimacy of various aspects
of different traditions. We are concerned with our present, and our future.
- We do not accept the concept of "absolute evil," nor do we
worship any entity known as "Satan" or "the Devil" as
defined by Christian Tradition. We do not seek power through the suffering
of others, nor do we accept the concept that personal benefits can only be
derived by denial to another.
- We work within Nature for that which is contributory to our health and
1. RavenWolf, Silver To Ride A Silver