EZ - How to make essential oils
Follow my Medicine Leaf Board On PINTREST!!
To make essential oils:
You will need:
1. Large bottle of olive oil
2. Fresh herbs/flowers, preferably harvested at dawn. I use my rosemary and lavender.
3. At least two wide-mouth mason jars. (I make a lot of oil at a time so I purchase the
one quart jars at our local Farm & Feed store).
4. Inexpensive strainer, kept for making oils only. Or cheesecloth, which you can discard
5. Optional; small dark colored bottles to store or give as gifts. You will also need a small
funnel or larger eyedropper to easily fill bottles.
Pack jar with the herbs/flowers, bruising slightly before putting into jar. Roll between your fingers, lightly crush in a bag, etc. Do not overdue it!
After herbs/flowers are in the jar, pour the room temperature oil SLOWLY into the jar, rotating jar to make sure oil runs into every crevice. Put lid on jar tightly and put it into a warm place for about 48 hours. (A sunny window ledge or a warm spot in the kitchen is fine. I put in front of our woodstove.) After about 48 hours, put jars in a dark, cool place for 7-10 days. (I use our root cellar and mark on the calendar least I forget about them!).
After the brewing time, carefully open jar and filter the mixture through the strainer/cheesecloth into another mason jar. Discard the filtered flower material. At this time you can just keep your oil in the jar OR fill small dark colored bottles (using small funnel). This oil will keep for up to a year.