- 1930- The differential analyzer ( invented by Vannevar Bush) is introduced as the first serious attempt to design a computer that can do many kinds of scientific computations. It is the herald of the modern computer age.
- 1934-The idea that an automatic calculator would only need a control program, a memory, and an arithmetic unit is advanced by Konrad Zuse, a famous German civil engineer.
- 1936- Alan Turing publishes
- 1938- William Hewlett and David Packard founded Hewlett-Packard and produced their first product, a resistance-capacitance audio oscillator that was purchased by Disney to make the sound track for the film
- 1939- John Vincent Atanasoff and Clifford Berry have a prototype of the binary-based ABC (Atanasoff-Berry Computer). This machine is often considered the first automatic digital computer.