Author: Jeff Baker (aka, Jeff-B, JA Baker, Sinister Dexter)
Pairing: Rommie/Beka (Slash-fic: you have been warned)
Rating: 12 (PG-13)
Archive: Just ask me first.
Feedback: Would be grateful.
E-mail: jap_baker@hotmail.com
Disclaimers: Andromeda’s not mine, its Roddenberry's and Tribunes. The song is by Aerosmith (If I owned ether, I’d be a very happy, and rich, man).
Summary: Beka contemplates her relationship with Rommie

Note:  Ok, I’ve wanted to use this song for a while, but I could never find a good story, then last night I got this idea. With thanks to Furball for the beta.


I Don’t Want To Miss A Thing

I could stay awake just to hear you breathing
Watch you smile while you are sleeping
While you're far away and dreaming
I could spend my life in this sweet surrender 
I could stay lost in this moment forever
Every moment spent with you is a moment I treasure
 

It’s funny, in a way, that the first person I’ve ever truly gotten close to, the only person, beside my brother, who I’ve ever let my defences down to, is an Android. Maybe I’ve spent so long on the Maru that I find it easier to relate to machines than organics, or maybe it’s because she’s the only one who’s accepted me, despite all my faults, and has never asked for anything but friendship in return.

Maybe I’m just messed-up big-time, and this is my way of not dealing. Ether way, I’ve never been happier. 

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
 

Even by my less than normal standards, this isn’t a typical relationship: heck, what IS a typical relationship nowadays? Nether of us intended it to get this far, we where both happy just being friends. I don’t think Rommie ever considered this type of relationship: up until recently she was so intent on winning Dylan’s heart that I doubt that she realised at first how my feelings for her had changed, how I sort out excuses to spend more time with her. 

Lying close to you feeling your heart beating
And I'm wondering what you're dreaming
Wondering if it's me you're seeing
Then I kiss your eyes and thank God we're together
And I just wanna stay with you
In this moment forever, forever and ever
 

I smile as I look at the form sleeping next to me. Yes, she sleeps: I was as surprised as anyone to find that Harper had built a sleep program into her, even more surprised with how often she uses it. But then, I was also very surprised at the amount of effort Harper had put into parts of her that weren’t strictly necessary, God bless his little twisted mind. I must find a way to thank him someday. 

She’s so peaceful when she’s sleeping; so relaxed compared to the tough ass-kicking Warship she is most of the time. That said, I find her so incredibly sexy when she’s in full High Guard officer mode that I can barely keep my mind on my work. 

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
 

But that would be a problem: Dylan was, well, not 100% happy when we came out and admitted to the others that we were lovers. He set some very strict ground rules for us, partly to keep discipline, and partly I feel out of jealousy. Well, give Rommie’s feelings towards him, feelings I’m beginning to emulate, it won’t be long until we make him a little offer… 

I don't wanna miss one smile
I don't wanna miss one kiss
Well, I just wanna be with you
Right here with you, just like this
I just wanna hold you close
Feel your heart so close to mine
And stay here in this moment
For all the rest of time
 

Harper and Tyr where as jealous as hell when we told them. 

Harper had never hidden his feelings for Rommie, and I know he found me attractive, despite our relationship being more big sister/little brother in nature. And Tyr, well Tyr had his chance with me: on more than one occasion I all but offered myself to him, and every time he hid behind his Nietzschean nature, claiming he could never have feelings for a regular human as a way of not dealing with how he felt. 

Trance was, well, Trance had been Trance: you never can tell how she feels nowadays. Not that I could before she ‘grew-up’. 

Don't wanna close my eyes
Don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
Cause I'd still miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
 

I don’t know if this relationship will last, but I hope it will. Rommie told me about how Dylan had comforted her after Gabriel’s death, about how he had said he was her heart, her soul. Well now she’s my heart, my soul, me reason to go on living. For some reason, simply being near her keeps my Flash cravings at bay. She’d smiled when I told her this, then pulled me back down on to the bed to ‘keep my mind occupied’ as she called it.

It sure as hell worked 

I don't wanna close my eyes
I don't wanna fall asleep
Cause I'd miss you, baby
And I don't wanna miss a thing
Cause even when I dream of you
The sweetest dream will never do
I'd still miss you, baby,
And I don't wanna miss a thing
 

There’s a faint smile on her lips as she sleeps, her head resting on my shoulder. I like the way she can change her entire personality at the drop of a hat, going from Über-sexy leather-clad warrior, to playful imp, to total firecracker in bed, so totally that you’d never guess she could be either of the others. It may sound a little freaky, but then Rommie is the only one to know how much of a hopeless romantic I can be when the mood takes me, and around her, I can be very romantic indeed. 

I hope things work out, I really do… 

Don't wanna close my eyes
Don't wanna fall asleep, yeah
I don't wanna miss a thing
 

The End

Back to Andromeda Fan-Fiction