Face the Music

 Back to Andromeda Fan-Fiction

Part 2: The Kiss

The ballroom was lavishly decorated, and a uniformed waiter led the Andromeda’s crew to a table near the dance floor. Beka’s eyes darted around the room, “I wonder where Sid is?” Trance looked nervous, “Well, I for one hope we don’t run into him.” Beka nodded, “I second that!”

The meal started, and Rommie sat quietly as the other ate. It was times like this that her being an android was difficult. She could see people pointing at her and talking quietly. She felt like an attraction at a freak show. Several FTA officials stopped by to talk to Dylan about the Commonwealth, and what it would mean for trade. Friends and acquaintances of Beka stopped to catch up on old times. Several shady looking characters asked Tyr if he still worked freelance, to which the Nietzschean refused to comment. Even Trance and Harper knew people to talk to, but Rommie was alone.

The meal ended, and the band started playing. Several couples took to the dance floor and glided gracefully around. Dylan saw how miserable Rommie was, and offered her his hand, “May I have this dance?” Rommie’s eyes sparkled, “I’d be honored.” She smiled as Dylan led her to the dance floor. The band struck-up a slow waltz, and they began. Rommie’s dancing was technically perfect, but was too ridged. Dylan sighed, “Rommie, you have to relax. Move to the music, not the proper dance steps.” Rommie smiled, “I’ll try: I’ve never danced before.” she admitted.

The rest of the crew watched as Rommie slowly relaxed in Dylan’s arms. Tyr shook his head, “It’s going to happen.” Trance was confused, “What going to happen?” Beka laughed, “Give them a few minuets, and then you’ll see.” Harper sighed and finished his drink, “Can anyone say Pax Magellanic?” Trance was taken aback, “You mean Dylan and Rommie…” Beka looked at the young alien, “For someone who can be so amazingly perceptive at times, you’re as blind as a Nightsider!”

The waltz ended, and the band struck up a tango. The crew watched as Dylan and Rommie danced ever closer and closer, never braking eye contact. As the tango neared the end, Harper looked at his watch, “5, 4, 3, 2, 1, now!” On cue, Dylan leaned forward and kissed Rommie. The Avatar’s eyes closed as she savored the felling of Dylan’s lips on her own. Her mind raced at a speed even grater than normal. She knew that this was the point of no return: that from now on, her relationship with her captain was changed forever. In truth, she didn’t care.

Suddenly, Rommie broke away from Dylan. It looked like she was going to say something, but instead she ran from the room. Dylan blinked, and ran after her.

Next