Old Friends, Part 7: Harper and Mary

Tyr awoke in medical. He looked up to see Rev Bem, Rommie and Orion looking down at him. Rommie smiled, "Back with us I see." Tyr raised a hand to his throbbing head, "What happened to me?" Orion chuckled, "You made a pass at a young woman who didn't like your advances." Tyr sat up, "The last thing I remember is I was in a bar on the drift. I saw a Nietzschean woman sitting alone at a table, and I asked her what pride she was." Orion's eyebrows narrowed, "Did you tell her what pride you where?" Tyr nodded, "Of course I did: Kodiak."

Orion winced, "There's your problem: Mary hates Kodiak pride." Tyr pulled his shirt on, "Why?" Rommie drummed her fingers on the bed, "Her mother was human: a Kodiak pride Alpha raped her, and Mary was the result." Tyr was confused, "Why should she hate Kodiak pride for that? It improved her genes." Orion's face fell, "She dose not see it that way, and I don't recommend you put it to her like that."


Deep in one of Andromeda's service conduits, Harper and Mary where busy fixing some of the damage done by the Balance of Judgment. Harper was knee deep in an access-port, "Can you hand me the nano-welder please?" Mary handed him the tool, "What's it like, living on a warship?" Harper thought for a second, "Long periods of pleasant quietness interrupted by the occasional life-or-death situation." Mary laughed, "Well, it sounds more fun than my life: shipping cargo from one deep-range colony to another, week's spent sub-light, months between ports. I swear, if not for the modifications I've made to our ship, I'd go mad!"

Harper pulled himself out of the access-port, "What sort of modifications?" Mary shrugged, "Well, I talked my brother into allowing me to turn one of the cargo-bays into a swimming pool. I then got Orion to adjust the AG field under the diving board to increase the free-fall time. Things like that." Harper whistled, "Man! There is no-way that Dylan would ever let me do something like that to Andromeda!" Mary laughed, "Mark can be like that, but I can normally talk him round."

Harper suddenly found the conduit uncomfortably hot, mainly because of Mary's smile, and the closeness of her body. He backed away slightly, "Maybe we should split up, get twice as much work done?" Mary moved forwards, a mischievous look in her eyes. "What's the matter Seamus, don't you like me?" Harper found himself flush against the conduit wall, "It's not that, its just, well, you scare me, the way you beat-up Tyr and all." Mary leaned forward further, "I can do soft too you know."

With that, she kissed him.

TBC

Next

Chapter Index