Old Friends, Part 4: Orion’s Story, part 2

Orion sat back down, "After he destroyed Seat of Power, Balance of Judgment stopped talking to the rest of us. He disappeared off into deep space. Only a few of us where left by that point: most of my crew left, went back to their home worlds. The same happened to the rest of the fleet. Some of the others gave up, stopped caring. What remained of my crew did its best to help the out-lying colonies to survive. We started to ship cargo, medical supplies, people, what ever was needed. Over the years, it became peaceful. The Nietzscheans started to leave us alone, the Magog were on the other side of know space."

"I started to like being a cargo ship. I'd spent a lot of time doing humanitarian missions for the Commonwealth, so it didn't seem that strange. Over time, my crew started to have families, and as their kids grew, we taught them ways of the High Guard. Some stayed, most left. About 20 years ago, I only had a crew of ten. My Captain, Trent McCoy, a descendant of my First Lieutenant, took a job delivering supplies to a world in the Milky Way. We where overrun by Nietzscheans, Kodiak pride. They killed most of the crew, and disabled me. Helen McCoy, the captain's wife, and my chief engineer, refused to give the Nietzscheans her access code. The Nietzscheans commander tortured her: he raped her, and she fell pregnant. She tried to kill herself, but he stopped her. Nine months later, she gave birth to a daughter."

Orion resumed his pacing, "The captains son, Mark, was able to re-activate me, and I killed the Nietzscheans. By that point, only five of the crew remained, and three of them left. Helen continued as captain, but her spirit was broken: she died two years later. I was left to bring up her two children. Mark was ten, and Mary, she was barely two. If it wasn't for Whisper of the Wind, my pilot, I'd never have been able to do it. Mark's my captain now, and Mary's my engineer. You better hope she doesn't run into your friend Tyr: she really doesn't like Nietzscheans."

Trance bounded through the hatch, "Hey, who's your friend? Anyway, Tyr's gotten into a fight on the Drift." Orion walked past Trance, "That will be Mary."

TBC

Next

Chapter Index