Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Drill Drawing

<x-flowed>
At 11:43 AM 9/27/00 -0400, HxEngr@aol.com wrote:

>Never, ever, turn on the "center plots on film" option when generating
>Gerbers.

Since this was explained in an earlier post in this thread, perhaps it is
appropriate to detail what this option does.

It gives an offset to the gerber data such that the plot will be centered
on the film. Thus such a plot will not match the drill file, which has no
offset.

I think that "center plots" is turned on by default. Whoever set that was
thinking of making matters more convenient for the photoplotting people;
but I would assume that any photoplotter worth its kilobucks would already
center plots automatically, or at least move them out to provide a margin
if necessary; or this could be done by the CAM software when the gerbers
are reviewed by the fabricator before the plots are made. Since it is not
at all uncommon that the fabricator will want to tweak the files in some
way, I'd be surprised to see a fabricator try to plot gerber without
previewing it.

As a design set, however, the drill and films should have the same origin,
which *requires*, with Protel, that absolute origin be set in PCB and that
centering be turned off in the gerber setup. It's one of the options on the
last tab of the properties dialog for a CAM Manager gerber output file.

marjan@vom.com
Abdulrahman Lomax
P.O. Box 690
El Verano, CA 95433