RE: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Advice on Learning PCB Design

Just a comment on your first sentence, Charlie.  But first, some
background on myself and Protel.  I worked for Protel in 93-94 as their
manager of tech support.  I had to defend the product countless times in
conversations with disgruntled users, prospective customers, inquiring
minds at trade shows, and our counterparts working for other EDA
software companies.  The perception then, and to many still, is that
Protel wasn't/isn't a serious tool for professional use.  It's true,
that at a point in time (Advanced PCB V.1 to V.2) the product wasn't
very sophisticated, but by '94 and V. 2.5, it was starting to get pretty
good.  In fact, we won the Benchmark contest at the '94 PCB Design
conference for our price/platform division, beating products like PADS,
OrCAD, and Tango.  They were so mad, PADS accused us of cheating, saying
Protel didn't have the features the Benchmark judges confirmed that it
did have.  We had a pretty good laugh over that one.  The point is, I
agree with you that Protel is great for beginners, because it's
user-friendly.  But I also think it's at least as good as any other
software because it has an available high level of sophistication that
allows users to do almost any kind of board.  Right now, I'm contracting
at a company that's training me on PADS, and Protel can do anything PADS
does, plus has FAR fewer limitations.  It's also much easier to learn,
since PADS is NOT intuitive.  There are many things in PADS that are not
apparent and can only be found if someone that knows the system tells
you how to do it.  I call this the "PADS Secret Handshake".  Also,
consider the fact that a full seat of PADS goes for about $35K.  They
charge you for things that should be a part of the software, like being
able to handle large files, complete DRC, among others.  Anyway, I'm
kind of venting, since I'm under pressure to produce a board while
trying to learn PADS,  which has some odd, flaky quirks.  But I hope I'm
not coming across as being "emotionally attached" to Protel.  I tell
people all the time, that no matter what software you use, remember -

"It's just a tool".

Thanks everyone for letting me vent (and maybe to let you know you've
made a good choice in Protel).

Jim Hood
South Bay CAD