Re: [PROTEL EDA USERS]: Database management for different models of the same board

Hello Steve,

We like to maximize our DFM and minimize our cost as well. We often use the same
(unstuffed) PCB's for many different types of products.

What I do is create one schematic that specifies all possible configurations of
its multiple relative stuffed PCB assemblies. We create tables in Excel that
designate only the condition of components that will vary from one PCB assembly
to another. We perform a "copy picture" from excel, save it as an importable
image and place it on the sheet one of the schematic.

We then layout one PCB that reflects the schematic.

We then have a separate BOM and PCB assembly drawing for each possible PCB
condition.

BOM's are part of our corporate database. Component value changes are evident
here.

PCB assembly drawings usually incorporate notes specifying which components not
to load. e.g. Do not install R4, C10, or E3.

This method can get quite involved but, it's easier (and safer) to have one
schematic support one PCB than use any other method.

Mel
--
Melvin Hart Burk Jr.
Designer