Interesting things students have done in the past on their Theatre History presentations & scenes:
· played period music under parts of presentation
· introduced themselves and the characters they will be playing
· presented equal parts of presentation
· explained why they were serving the food they chose
· briefly told us the plot of the play and what has happened just before the scene begins
· presented defining elements on big, easy to read poster cards with definitions
· showed us significant clip from Changing Stages video and clarified the clip - telling us why the clip is important
· recap history of period in terms of theatre events while other members pantomime the action of the events - making the history interesting and engaging
Solicit volunteers, have the remainder of the class make sound effects & use this mini-melodrama as your audience participation element:
“The Rent” or “Curses Foiled Again”
A melodrama for 2 men and 2 women plus a director
Characters: Sick Parent, Beautiful daughter or Handsome Son, Landlord, Hero.
PARENT ENTERS: coughs and sighs.
DAUGHTER: We must pay the rent.
MOTHER: We can't pay the rent.
LANDLORD ENTERS: Time to pay the rent.
DAUGHTER: We can't pay the rent.
LANDLORD: You must pay the rent!
MOTHER AND DAUGHTER: We can't pay the rent!
LANDLORD POINTS TO DOOR.
WOMEN PREPARE TO OBEY.
DAUGHTER FEARS FOR SICK MOTHER.
LANDLORD (to daughter): Unless---you pay the rent.
DAUGHTER: I--pay the rent?
MOTHER: Never! You shan't pay the rent!
MOTHER PULLS DAUGHTER TO THE DOOR, OPENS IT.
STORM DRIVES THEM BACK.
MOTHER COLLAPSES, COUGHING.
DAUGHTER IMPLORES THE LANDLORD TO SPARE THEM FROM BEING CAST OUT INTO THE STORM.
MOTHER RISES AND STAGGERS FORWARD TOWARDS THE DOOR AGAIN.
DAUGHTER: Stop! I'll pay the rent!!
LANDLORD ADVANCES TOWARDS HER IN AN EVIL FASHION.
HERO LOOKS IN, IS HORRIFIED.
LANDLORD: Yes! Pay the Rent! SEIZES HER.
HERO ENTERS: Stop! I'll pay the rent.
MOTHER/DAUGHTER/LANDLORD: You'll pay the rent?
HERO PAYS THE RENT.
HERO: I have paid the rent.
LANDLORD: Curses! Foiled again.
LANDLORD SLINKS OFF STAGE.
MOTHER (NEAR COLLAPSE): OH!
DAUGHTER: My Hero!