A Course In Miracles
also known as
The Criswell Edition
Have any questions? Click here to contact Stephen by email
Historical Significance: What is unique about this edition?
This is the first attempt to publish, mass market and charge money for the Course.
This is the first edition that was copyrighted.
The Holy Spirit ordered only 300 copies to ever be printed. This is the only known copy in existence! (see the book Journey Without Distance by Robert Skutch (pg.110-117))
Was copyrighted by the Foundation for Parasensory Investigation (was later renamed the Foundation for Inner Peace)
This edition was printed by Freeperson Press in 1975 (was later printed by the late Saul Steinberg)
This version has four volumes.
Was FIP and FACM lost copyright and was rendered as public domain 6/04.
For more details see the book Journey
Without Distance by Robert Skutch (pg.110-117)
From the Foundation For Inner Peace
Website. Click below to visit them.
Copyright information as it appears in the First Edition.
Timeline of the various versions and where they fit in the scheme of things:
1) Jesus dictated the Course to Helen, Helen scribed dictation in a shorthand note book. That edition is known as THE SHORTHAND NOTEBOOKS
2) William Thetford typed contents of the Shorthand notebooks. That edition is known as THE URTEXT.
3) Helen retyped and edited the Urtext and removed a lot of what was considered too personal, and ALL references to sex. She also put in chapter breaks and headings. The second retyping is known variously as: THE HUGH LYNN CAYCE VERSION, THE HLC, JESUS' COURSE IN MIRACLES or JCIM.
4) Helen, with the help of Kenneth Wapnick further edited the Cayce version, removed more passages that were considered inappropriate, re-ordered and renamed the chapters and made extensive changes to the vocabulary. That edition is known variously as, THE NUN'S VERSION, THE CRISWELL EDITION, and THE FIRST EDITION. According to Robert Skutch in the book Journey Without Distance (pg.110-117), the Holy Spirit told them to only print 300 copies of this edition. This also marked the first attempt at copyrighting the Course.
5) Kenneth Wapnick made further changes to the first edition and that edition is known as THE SECOND EDITION. That is the edition that you are likely to find in a book store. And is regarded by Kenneth Wapnick as the only authorized version.