Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
31st CHEM BDE






The 31st Chemical Brigade, headquartered in Northport, Alabama, is the only major chemical organization located in the State of Alabama. The 31st Chemical Brigade has existed with its present configuration, designation and capability for the past 3 years. Some of its subordinate elements can trace their lineage back nearly 140 years.

For example, the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 31st Chemical Brigade can trace its lineage to “Captain Rodes” Company of Alabama Volunteers, “The Warrior Guards,” which was mustered into Confederate service May 5, 1861 as Company H, 5th Alabama Infantry. The Headquarters Company underwent a series of redesignations and assignments beginning in 1865 as the Alabama Volunteer Militia; the 2nd Alabama Volunteer Infantry; the 4th Infantry and 167th Infantry; the 77th Infantry Brigade, 39th Division; the 61st Infantry Brigade and 62nd Infantry Brigade, 31st Division; the 200th Infantry Regiment; the 2d Brigade, 31st Infantry Division; the 31st Brigade, 30th Armored Division; the 31st Separate Armored Brigade; and the 122nd Chemical Brigade. On 30 September 2002 it was designated as HQS and HQS Detachment, 31st Chemical Brigade. The Brigade proudly wears the patch, and continues the lineage, of the 31st Infantry Division.

The 31st Infantry Division was organized at Camp Wheeler, Georgia, in October of 1917. Almost from the beginning, it was known as the Dixie Division, a fitting name for a unit whose regiments and artillery came from Alabama and other “Deep South” States. During World War I the 31st Division became a replacement Division, and most of its personnel were thrown in the front lines of the American Expeditionary Forces. The 31st Division returned to the United States in December of 1919 for demobilization. In 1923 the 31st Division was reorganized as a National Guard Division, with component units located in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

For participation in World War II, the 31st Dixie Division was federalized on 25 November 1940, and later saw action in the Pacific Theater, half a world away from earlier World War I experiences. Various units of the Division participated in the landing on New Guinea and Morotai, and earned commendations for their participation in the campaigns in the Western Pacific, on New Guinea (with arrowhead) and throughout the Southern Philippines. Here it was presented the Philippine Presidential Unit Citation. After cessation of hostilities in the Pacific, the Dixie Division sailed for home. It was deactivated on December 21, 1945.

The 31st Infantry (Dixie) Division was reorganized as a National Guard Division on December 16, 1946, with units in Alabama and Mississippi. The Dixie Division again settled down to its dual role, which was short lived. On January 15, 1951, the Dixie Division was mobilized for service during the Korean War. The Division conducted training at Ft Jackson, moved to Camp Atterbury, Indiana, where its mission was to train soldiers for deployment to Korea and provide replacements for deployed units. On June 15, 1954, the 31st Infantry division was deactivated and returned to National Guard status. Active Duty subordinate units were reorganized to become the 8th Infantry Division.

The 31st Infantry (NGUS) Division was reorganized with units from Alabama and Mississippi. The 31st Infantry (DIXIE) Division served as a National Guard division until it was deactivated on January 14, 1968. During the 15 year interval, units of the Dixie Division were called on many times to perform both state and federal missions.

Following deactivation in 1968, local units became a part of the 30th Armored “Volunteers” Division, which was originally headquartered in the State of Tennessee, and was composed of units in Alabama, Tennessee, and Mississippi. Alabama was allotted a major headquarters, the 31st Brigade, 30th Armored Division, located in Tuscaloosa. In 1973 the 30th Armored Division was deactivated and Alabama was assigned a new major headquarters, the 31st Separate Armored Brigade. In 2002, the 31st Separate Armored Brigade was deactivated and Alabama was again assigned a new major headquarters, the 122nd Chemical Brigade later redesignated as the 31st Chemical (DIXIE) Brigade.

Today, the 31st Chemical (DIXIE) Brigade continues the lineage of the 31st Infantry (DIXIE) Division. This illustrious heritage has established a standard of dedication to duty and mission performance, which is maintained and carried on by the personnel of the present day 31st Chemical (DIXIE) Brigade. The 31st Chemical (DIXIE) Brigade is presently composed of the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, the 145th Chemical Battalion, the 151st Chemical Battalion, the 152nd Chemical Battalion, and the 278th Chemical Battalion. For the past 134 years, units of the present day 31st Chemical (DIXIE) Brigade have served both Alabama and the United States.”