Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!
- Main -
Return to Gaea

Chapter One

Hitomi Kanzaki sighed as she finished tying the laces of her tennis shoes. "Kanzaki!" the track coach shouted over. "You're up!"
"Yeah, okay!" Hitomi called back. She got to her feet. "I'm coming!" Yukari gave her a thumbs-up signal as she jogged past her and Amano, and Hitomi grinned back. Amano, now in college and the assistant track coach of Kita-Kamakura High School, and Yukari had established a new relationship that seemed to be working out. She was glad for them.
But it did make her miss Van. Hitomi walked over, trying to push that thought from her mind, and took her place, moving into her starting position. "On your marks!" yelled the coach, "get set-GO!" The whistle screeched.
Hitomi surged out of the blocks, her body moving on instinct more than any conscious thought, her feet carrying her forward in reflex without her mind having to tell them to move. She fell into the familiar pattern-one step, then another-deep breath, deep breath-her world narrowed to the extent of the track, the race, simply running.
The race was already halfway over when she saw it. A white feather drifted across the sky in front of her. It swirled, dancing in the air, twirling lazily, then floated away, fluttering toward the ground. White light radiated out of it, reaching for her, but faded right before it reached her. The feather twirled once more, then disappeared, and a familiar voice-Van's voice-echoed softly in the air around her. "Hitomi."
Hitomi stopped stock still before she realized what she was doing, barely even noticing that the other runners passed her as she stood there. "Van," she whispered in confusion. "Van?"
"Hitomi…."
"Kanzaki!" The coach shouted. "Kanzaki, what are you doing?"
Hitomi blinked, feeling suddenly as if she'd been doused with cold water. "Uh," she said. "Sorry. I-um-I lost my balance. I'm sorry."
"Okay. Just don't do it again." The coach sounded annoyed. Hitomi swallowed hard and tried to push what had happened from her mind. It must have been her imagination, that was all.
But as she returned to the starting blocks, Hitomi wondered why she had heard Van's voice. Had he called her again? Or had she really just imagined it?

Icy chills wracked his body. Van Fanel shivered miserably and huddled beneath the blankets. The slight movement provoked a gasp of pain as agony shot up and down his body, the searing pain radiating out from his back and from between his shoulder blades. Van shivered again, glad that he was finally alone. The advisors, the doctors, the generals-all had finally gone and left him by himself. That was better, Van thought. He didn't want them to see their king as weak as he felt. With them gone, he could finally relax and let himself give in to the pain and exhaustion that had been trying to claim him for hours.
His head was a lead weight atop his neck, and he felt as if he was freezing, even in the darkened royal quarters that had always seemed so stuffy to him. Van lay on the bed that had been too big even for Folken, made for someone larger and taller than anyone he'd ever met, the bed where they had brought him when he'd collapsed outside while practicing. How long ago had that been now? He wasn't even sure any longer. He sighed, wishing the room wasn't spinning around him like a child's top, and closed his eyes. It was always the worst after the others left, however well-meaning they were. Well, the generals were well-meaning. He was respected by them, they were fiercely loyal to him-after all, he was a warrior like them. But the aristocrats…well, they didn't like having a mere warrior, and a boy one at that, for a king. Van felt like shaking his head, but managed to stop himself before he actually did so and caused himself even more pain. He'd been feeling so useless for the last few months, and this illness that had stolen his strength and consigned him to his bed seemed to be the culmination of those feelings. Van had had to put up a strong front for all of them. Now that they were gone, he didn't have to anymore, not until the next time they came, at least.
"Lord Van?" The hesitant, even frightened, voice sounded so unlike Merle Van almost didn't recognize it for a moment. He raised himself painfully up on one elbow to see the cat-girl as she crossed the darkened room and set a tray on the table by the side of the bed. "I-I brought you something to eat, see?"
Van sank back down into the pillows, unable to hold himself upright any longer against the weakness and pain. "Thanks, Merle," he managed, trying hard to sound like his normal self. He didn't want to worry her.
"Try to eat something, Lord Van," she begged. "I know you don't want to, but you're never gonna have the strength to get better if you don't eat."
Was this the time to tell her? Van wondered. No, that would be too cruel. He'd wait. "I'll try if you want me to, Merle," was all he said. By this point it didn't really matter if he ate or not, if he accepted the worthless medicines and treatments the doctors prescribed or not. Van just let them fiddle with him. Why not, if it would make them feel better? Being poked and prodded wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't really a big deal to someone who was dying. He would eat, too, for Merle's sake, because she had always been so faithful. It was the least he could do for her now.
"Oh, good." Merle sounded just a little happier. She took his hand and squeezed it. Van decided not to mention that her grip was so tight it hurt his fingers. "I'm waiting for you to get better; okay, Lord Van?"
He should tell her, Van thought, but he found himself saying something else instead. "Sure, Merle," he said. "And don't worry. Just promise me that much."
Merle nodded and leaned forward, licking his cheek once, then hurried off, the door closing behind her. Van winced as the sound of its closing stabbed daggers of pain into his aching head, then levered himself up slowly to reach over and pick up the small bowl of honey-gruel of the sort the cooks had been sending up for him for the past few days. He'd lost track of how long it'd been. Van wouldn't even have touched it if he hadn't promised Merle that he'd try and eat something.
He managed to make it halfway through the disgusting sick-room stuff before concluding that not only did it probably not have any nutritional value whatsoever, finishing it would be even worse than fighting Zaibach all over again. He set the bowl back on the table, managed to take a few sips of wine from the goblet that had accompanied it, and lay back down. At least the wine helped a little.
Agony blossomed from his back outward as he did so, and Van couldn't keep back a small groan as he turned onto his side. It was all right; he didn't have to be strong anymore. There was no one there to hear him or to see his weakness. He was glad he was alone, he supposed. That way he didn't have to worry about what anyone saw, what anyone thought. Van was afraid that if anyone looked at him now all they would see would be a scared teenaged boy who didn't feel ready to die.
For he knew that he was dying. How could he not be? Every day he felt himself weaken a little more, every day he felt a little more of his strength disappear. The doctors had informed him that they didn't know what was wrong with him, but that they could do nothing, and that whatever it was had weakened his body so severely already that he had little chance of surviving, if any at all. Van believed them-he could feel it, feel it in the searing pain in his back, feel it in the cold waves traveling up and down his body, in the way his body shook without his permission, in the heaviness of his limbs and head, the weariness that threatened to overwhelm him after nearly every move he made. He had never felt like this before.
It just wasn't fair, Van thought more than a little wearily. Perhaps it was just that he'd put so much stress on his body during the war, and then afterward, trying to rebuild Fanelia. He hadn't really had any time to rest in between. Maybe it had been too much for him, going through so much so fast, though he'd felt fine at the time. In spite of everything, though, no matter what the reasons he came up with, it still didn't seem fair. What had he done to deserve this pain?
He was whining, Van thought with a sigh, and feeling sorry for himself, and being stupid. He couldn't do anything about it now, and since when had life been fair? Nothing had been fair before. It hadn't been fair that his mother or father had died, or that Valgas had been killed, or Folken, or that the only woman he'd ever loved and would ever love, even if he did survive, came from a different world. Van was used to unfairness.
That didn't make it any easier.
Another surge of pain and chills. He was getting really fatalistic, Van thought as he clenched his teeth and fists and waited for the worst of it to pass, as it always did. It had been getting worse lately, though…. What was the use of thinking about it? For the first part of his illness, Van had tried to concentrate on Fanelia, but as he grew worse, it got harder. His kingdom was in good hands, Van knew that. On days when he didn't feel quite so bad, he still listened to reports from his advisors. Fanelia was doing fine without his constant attention. He had chosen competent advisors-after all, how could he not have, with both Allen's and Dryden's help? He could stop worrying.
But that only freed Van's mind up to think about other things, many of which he didn't want to think about. Well, first of all, how alone he felt. He knew he secluded himself to keep others from seeing him so weak and pathetic, but sometimes, when the pain was bad and his head spun with dizziness and nausea, Van admitted to himself that at least part of the ache inside his heart was there from loneliness. Merle was here with him, but he was so worried about hurting her that he felt tense and uptight whenever she was in the room with him. He needed someone to talk to about this, someone who he could explain it to and who would understand, but everyone else he had fought alongside was in Asturia…or on the Mystic Moon, his treacherous mind whispered…and in Van's condition it wasn't very likely that he'd be going there any time soon. Going to either of them.
Allen. He really needed to talk to Allen. They hadn't always gotten along-actually, it could be said that was a bit of an understatement-but Van knew Allen would understand, noble knight and fellow warrior that he was. Van's hand clenched into a fist in the covers surrounding him. Allen would understand his need to make sure certain things were taken care of after he was gone, and Van knew he could count on him to get those things done.
Before he let himself go, he would have to find a way to talk to Allen Schezar. Before he let himself go-Van angrily found himself blinking back hot, shameful tears. He didn't want to die! Why had this happened to him? It was easy to be angry and resentful of this hand that fate had dealt him, of many things. His mind returned to the war, and Van wondered if this was some sick method Dornkirk had found of getting his revenge. Some revenge. If it was, then Dornkirk's plan was an effective one. Van was suffering as much as the old emperor of Zaibach could ever have hoped for. The young king just wished he understood why this was happening. He hurt so much; it would be easier to bear if he understood why. But no one could tell him, not even the doctors who had sworn him oaths of loyalty and service. Van didn't blame them, not really. He just wished he knew what was going on. It was the same as always. He couldn't fight an enemy he couldn't see, an enemy who attacked when he least expected it as this illness did. It was beating him, a cannier foe than Zaibach had ever been, for he could find no way to fight back against it. At least against Zaibach the methods of defense had been clear.
The room seemed to float around him, faint and lightheaded as he was. Van was beginning to feel as if his bones were melting inside his skin, which was a frozen block of ice. Every day the fever got worse, though there were brief periods each day when it seemed to fade. His back was a mass of shimmering agony. He was fading-sleep was beckoning. Van could feel it now.
Van's hand came up and closed around the one thing, though he wouldn't admit it, that really gave him comfort in this dark storm of pain and fever-a small pink pendant that had been given to him by the girl from the Mystic Moon. It's been a whole year, Van thought, a whole year apart from her. If only I could see her again-I'd be happy if only I could see her again. I miss her…so much….
Van didn't notice, for unconsciousness was dragging him down into oblivion with its cruel, grasping claws and his eyes were shut tight against the pain, but the pendant he clenched so tightly in his hand was beginning to glow.

Hitomi…. The familiar voice, Van's voice, echoed in Hitomi's room, and she awoke with a start. Nothing met her eyes but her own prosaic ceiling. Maybe she had imagined it.
Imagined Van's voice speaking to her out of the air twice in the same day? She missed him, sure, but that was pushing it a little. She was certain she'd heard him earlier. It seemed equally likely that she could have heard him now. Or equally unlikely, depending on your point of view.
Hitomi sighed and sat up, linking her arms around her knees. If this was Van, and she was sure it was, positive that she would recognize his voice anywhere, then she was worried. Van wouldn't be calling her unless he had a really good reason. She knew him, and knew what he considered good reasons. Usually something involving danger was the first criteria that came to mind, and a large degree of danger. How could she not be worried? And how could she let herself sit back and simply worry when she knew that Van was in danger? How could Hitomi stand not being able to help the one person she cared about above all others?
She unlinked her arms from around her legs and slid off the bed, padding softly across the room to cross her arms on the windowsill and stare out the window, sliding it open with one hand as she did so. The night air was cool, but carried with it a hint of unnatural chill that made Hitomi shiver. Van, she thought despondently, Van, I'm worried. Where are you? How are you doing? Is something wrong?
I want to go back to Gaea. The thought dawned on Hitomi suddenly, so suddenly it almost made her jump. I don't care what's here for me if Van isn't all right. I need to see him again; I need to see for myself that he's okay. I won't be happy until I do. I need to see Van!
And he needs to see me, or he wouldn't be calling me.
Hitomi sighed and turned away from the window. Needing was one thing. Actually accomplishing was quite another. But their longings had brought them together before. Maybe it could do such a thing again, if she wanted it enough. She already knew he was trying.
A sudden wave of pain from her back hit her, and the room suddenly seemed to take on a life of its own, swirling and twisting around her like a rebellious anaconda, only becoming worse the more she tried to hold it still. Hitomi only vaguely felt herself sliding to her knees, then to the floor as the pain spread out from her back. Van, she thought helplessly. Somehow she knew that what she was feeling now was Van's pain. She had expected nothing like this. Hitomi's hands trembled. This is Van's hurt, Van's suffering. I was right; he is in trouble. I have to go to him!
The pain faded, and Hitomi was kneeling on the floor, her body shaking. She hadn't had such a clear sense of Van, of anyone on Gaea-actually, of anything-since she'd come back, but now she felt the presence of the young king of Fanelia as strongly as if he'd been standing right there in front of her. Actually, there did seem to be something there in front of her, Hitomi noticed, squinting to try and make it out more clearly. And then the image started to coalesce in front of her, and then she was sucked into the vision as she had been so many times before with so many different visions.
She was standing in a room that looked almost familiar, except that it was dark and gloomy, with thick drapes pulled over the windows to block out the sun and a dim fire burning in the fireplace, lighting up the stuffy chamber. As she glanced around, Hitomi noticed the royal crest of Fanelia on the double doors behind her. Fanelia? Then was this-but no, it couldn't be, could it?
The room was sparsely furnished; there was only a bed that looked far too large for any one person, and far too elegant, with its fine, heavy-looking drapes and thick covers, a simple table beside it, and a wooden chest shoved up against the bed's end. A familiar sword lay across the chest. Hitomi could feel her heart contract with a sharp pain as she noticed the small figure lying on its side beneath the heavy blankets. Dark hair fell, mussed and tousled, in glossy black waves across the face, but Hitomi would have recognized him anywhere. Van lay still and deathly quiet, one hand lying slack on the pillow beside him, the other held tight to his chest as if clasped around something he didn't want to let go. He looked so weak…her throat tightened up, and tears threatened to sting at her eyes. "Van," Hitomi started, taking a step forward despite herself. "Van-"
He stirred slightly, as if in dreams, and she could see his lips form her name, but that was all.
Van disappeared, along with the room around her, and then Hitomi was back in her own room, kneeling on the floor. One of the tears that threatened at her eyes escaped her hold, slipping down her face. Van was in trouble. He needed her. She had to go to him; she had to. She was going to. If she wished for it enough-
Van's voice echoed around her again. Hitomi? His voice was soft and weak, even confused, but it seemed to reverberate in the air itself. There was a sigh. Hitomi….
A single feather drifted down to settle on the floor in front of her knees, white and shining with the inner light that had always seemed to come from Van's feathers. Hitomi reached down to touch it with trembling fingers.
The moment her hands touched the cool softness of the feather, a pillar of light shot up around her. Hitomi had just enough time to make a desperate grab for the duffel bag on the foot of her bed before she was being lifted out of her house. Her fingers closed on its rough straps, and she let her breath out in relief.
Gaea. She was going back to Gaea. Van had called her, and she had answered.
But why? Why had he called? What had her vision meant? Was it something in the future, or was it something that was currently taking place?
Oh, Van….

Hitomi woke up flat on her face in wet grass. She noticed that she was cold, and that the damp of the grass beneath her had already soaked through her pajamas in most places. Hitomi pulled her hands and knees under her, then straightened up with a sigh, looking around her. She was sitting in the middle of what looked like a field on the outskirts of a city she remembered well. Palas. So she was in Gaea, after all.
Hitomi picked herself up, brushing grass off her pajamas. This wasn't good-the clothes she was wearing could barely pass for decent anymore. She knelt down to rifle through her duffel bag and pulled out her track jacket, pulling it on. It would attract attention, but oh, well. It was better than nothing. Walking through the streets of Asturia's capital city in a pajama top that became nearly transparent when wet would be even more conspicuous. Hitomi dug her sneakers out of the bag and pulled them on over her bare feet, tying the laces quickly, then picked up her bag and started into the city.
She couldn't help wondering, though, why she had appeared here, outside Palas, and not in Fanelia. It was Van who had called her, wasn't it? Why wouldn't she go to him? It was his wishes along with hers that had brought her here, wasn't it? So why Asturia? She had to admit, it didn't make much sense.
Hitomi realized uneasily that she had just walked in to a rather bad section of Palas, a section of the city she had never seen before. She could see better parts of the city beyond her, but this area-well, it had to be a slum. There was just no other explanation. The buildings were run down, the streets dirty and close in around her. The entire place seemed dark and foreboding. Hitomi's fingers tightened on the strap of her duffel bag. She'd better hurry through here quickly. There was no telling what might happen in a place like this.
Eyes darted over her from street corners and from inside buildings. Hitomi shivered at the feeling of people staring at her. The sooner she got out of there the better, she thought vehemently. This place was starting to make her very uncomfortable. She turned a corner, almost nervous enough to break into a run now.
She almost ran into someone as she did so. Hitomi backed up hurriedly, apologizing for her clumsiness. The person she'd nearly bowled over was a small, weasel-like man with squinting dark eyes. She didn't like the way those eyes were looking at her, measuring her. Hitomi suddenly felt quite uneasy. I need to get out of here, she thought with sudden clarity. She turned to run.
A few more men came stepping out of the shadows as she did so. Hitomi backed up instinctively at the looks on their faces. "So," one of them sneered. "This must be the girl from the Mystic Moon. She's here right on time, just like the boss said she'd be."
"What-what are you talking about?" Hitomi faltered. Her brain kicked into gear, and she decided she'd better just try to bluff her way out of this. "I'm not the person you're looking for. Really!"
The man she'd almost run into laughed from behind her. "Yeah, right, lady. One look at the way you're dressed gives that away."
Hitomi had to admit that he was probably right. "Well," she started, trying desperately to think of something else to get her out of this mess, but she was still too confused for her mind to function properly. How had someone known she was going to be here, anyway? Not even Hitomi had been planning to come back to Gaea. Whatever this was, it sounded like trouble. "Uh-"
"Give it up, lady," one of the other ones said. "It's better if you just come with us quietly."
No way, Hitomi's mind retorted. She'd come back to Gaea to see Van. There was no way she was going to let anyone keep her from doing that. "Leave me alone," she ordered.
Her words were having no effect. The thugs started to advance on her. It was time to try something else. Hitomi took a deep breath and dropped to her knees, her hand reaching for one of the broken boards that littered the street around her. She swung it in front of her, then lunged to her feet and started running, not pausing long enough to see how much damage her attack had done. She could hear the men swearing and cursing behind her, but she didn't look back, just kept running. Soon she'd be to a better part of Asturia, like the marketplace. Surely they wouldn't dare to attack her there, in the middle of so many people. Then she could reach the palace. She was pretty sure she remembered the way. Millerna could find her some way to reach Fanelia, that Hitomi was sure of. Maybe the princess could even tell her a little bit about what was going on.
I should tell her, Hitomi thought breathlessly, that someone needs to clean up these slums. This place isn't exactly a pleasant part of Palas. She kept running, ignoring the stares that her flying feet brought. She had to get out of there, and that was all there was to it.
By the time she had to stop running to catch her breath, Hitomi had left the slum far behind. The area she found herself in now was obviously of a much higher class. Hitomi glanced around for either the marketplace or the palace, the only two landmarks she could really be sure of. The marketplace was to her right, and the palace sparkled high overhead. Hitomi oriented herself, then started off in the direction of the palace.
She tried not to draw any more attention to herself as she walked than she already had, though she knew people were staring at her because of her strange clothing. If those thugs had been waiting for a girl from the Mystic Moon to appear, it stood to reason that there might be more of the same. Hitomi hoped she'd get a chance to tell Millerna about what had happened. It didn't make any sense; none of this did. She hoped at least a few of her old friends would be at the palace and be able to explain things to her, especially what, if anything, had happened to Van. Maybe he was in Palas. Maybe that was why she'd come here instead of being summoned to Fanelia. The thought quickened Hitomi's steps.
Hitomi noticed as she walked through the streets that Palas seemed to be thriving again. A lot of the houses were newer than the others, but everything was rebuilt and all the people looked happy. Except for that slum, it was a beautiful city once again. She thought of Fanelia and wondered if it looked like this now. She was sure Van was a good king. He would have done an excellent job rebuilding, she was certain of it.
She just wished she knew what was wrong. Hitomi sighed. What could have happened? There were no signs of new war in the streets of Palas, and Hitomi knew Fanelia and Asturia shared a strong new alliance, so that couldn't be it. But what? What could have made Van call for her? She still couldn't figure it out.
 
(c) Yoshinobu Akita-Yuya Kusaka/KADOKAWA SHOTEN-TBS. All rights reserved.