Send Feedback

Pic o' the Day

DetroitPix

Hamtramck Pix

Pic 'o the Day Index

Memories List

Latest Pix

Vanishing Bldgs







  • History of Orchestra Hall
  • 1919: Orchestra Hall is built as home of Detroit Symphony.
  • 1939: DSO moves to Masonic Temple.
  • 1941-51: Orchestra Hall is purchased and renamed Paradise Theatre. The greatest names in black jazz play there.
  • 1951: Paradise closes. The building is used as a church and DSO recording hall, then abandoned.
  • 1970: A restaurant chain buys the building to demolish it. Save Orchestra Hall Inc. is formed.
  • History of Orchestra Hall (cont'd)
  • 1971: The hall is placed on the National Register of Historic Places and restoration begins. The first jazz and chamber music series are presented.
  • 1989: The DSO merges with the Orchestra Hall board and stages concerts there.
  • 1990: Restoration completed, the DSO returns permanently to Orchestra Hall.
  • 2000: A massive expansion is announced, including a multistory lobby and atrium, a performance hall and education center to be finished by 2003.
  • Source: Detroit News research
  • The expansion to Orchestra Hall is coming along quite nicely. Not bad, considering this building was 30 minutes away from the wrecking ball.
    A rear view of the expansion to Orchestra Hall, which is called 'Performing Arts High School.

    Orchestra Hall / Performing Arts High School