- There will be NO eating, drinking, or smoking in the laboratory
at any time. Keep ALL materials such as pens, pencils, fingers,
combs, glasses, out of your mouth. Break bad habits NOW !
- It is advisable to wear some type of protective garment to
protect your clothing from dyes and contamination. It need
not be fashionable, only functional. Long hair should be
tied back or placed under the collar to protect it from
possible incineration. Opentoed shoes or sandals should
never be worn in the laboratory.
- The laboratory must be kept neat and clean at all times.
Laboratory tables should be swabbed with the disinfectant
provided BEFORE and AFTER the day's work. Wash your hands
BEFORE beginning work, WHENEVER you leave to take a break,
WHENEVER you return from a break, and AFTER you have completed
the day's work. Cover open cuts with bandaids or other
protective aids prior to beginning the investigation.
- Books, notebooks, pocketbooks should be kept inside the
table drawers, on side tables or other places designated, NOT
on your working surface area.
- You will be expected to be on time for the laboratory. Prior
to coming to the laboratory, read the investigation for the
day and jot down questions you may have.
- DO NOT begin work until the instructor has given all necessary
directions. If you do not know or are not sure ASK!
Whenever you leave the laboratory, even if only for a short
time, turn off your bunsen burner.
- All waste materials and glassware should be placed in the
containers provided. If you accidentally spill or break a
bacterial culture or cut yourself, notify your instructor so
that the correct procedure may be followed.