International Awareness and Involvement
In keeping with the Five Point Thrust Program of Delta, the Alpha Xi sorors have implemented many projects in the Orangeburg area, continuing to illustrate Deltas commitment to public service.
ALPHA XI 2000-2001 CALENDAR OF EVENTS AND ACCOMPLISHMENTS
Habitat for Humanity
- Habitat for Humanity is a National Program that the sorors of Delta Sigma Theta participate in. Locally, the Alpha Xi sorors help build new houses and repair old ones.
Me and My Shadow Program
- Every Monday afternoon sorors mentor and tutor young girls at Sheridan Elementary School. Topics discussed during these sessions include self-esteem, how to be a young lady, and friendships with other girls.
Jolly Acres Nursing Home
- Every first and third Thursday sorors go to Jolly Acres Nursing Home in Orangeburg to talk, play games, and mingle with the senior citizens.
- Once a month the sorors sacrifice sleeping in on a Saturday to get up and clean our designated section of Highway 601.
- Every Wednesday from 3:30 to 5:00 p.m. sorors go to Orangeburg Wilkinson High School to mentor and tutor female students. The young women really enjoy talking with the sorors about different issues such as college, their relationships with other women, and male/female relationships. Sorors especially enjoy this project because we know these young women look at us as role models.
Adopt a Black Business
- Every Monday at Joy's Restaurant and Thursday's at Brown Derby sorors help take orders and serve customers during busy hours.
Orangeburg County Adult Literacy Council
- Monday through Friday we volunteer with the Adult Literacy Council tutoring adults in subjects such as reading, english, math, and computers.
- Every Monday from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m sorors work with young girls at St. Paul Housing Project
Just for Fun
- Alpha Xi also sponsors other programs for the South Carolina State Campus such as the Jabberwock Pageant, the Mr. Delta Man Pageant , and Delta Week. These activities are a more entertaining approach taken by the chapter to allow students, both male and female, to learn more about our organization and the programs we sponsor.
Click to Return Home