If you have any questions, or have some type of comment for me to read, please direct it to the e-mail link at the bottom of this page.
This page has all of the vocabulary for The Westing Game for Chapter 1 - 30, and the Questions for each chapter, which are at the bottom portion of this page.
The Westing Game Vocabulary Chapters 1 3
Grappled- To seize and hold, as with a grapple. To
seize firmly, as with the hands.
Gruesome- Causing horror and repugnance; inspiring
horror or repulsion.
Asylum- An institution for the care of the needy and
sick or esp. of the insane.
Facade- The face of a building, especially the
principal face. An artificial or deceptive front.
Podiatrist- The medical care of the foot.
Gaunt- Thin and bony; angular.
Putrid- Decomposed and foul-smelling; rotten.
The Westing Game Vocabulary Chapter 4 7
Pyrotechnic- Of or relating to fireworks. Resembling
Executor- A person who carries out or performs
something. Law. A person who is appointed by a
testator to execute the testator's will.
Eccentric- Departing from a recognized, conventional,
or established norm or pattern.
Trousseau- The possessions, such as clothing and
linens, that a bride assembles for her marriage.
Morbid- Characterized by reoccupation with unwholesome
thoughts or feelings.
Scrutiny- A close, careful examination or study.
Purported- Assumed to be such; supposed.
Pompous- Characterized by excessive self-esteem or
exaggerated dignity; pretentious
Jaunty- Having a buoyant or self-confident air; brisk.
Crisp and dapper in appearance; natty.
Uncanny- Peculiarly unsettling, as if of supernatural
origin or nature; eerie.
Wafted- To cause to go gently and smoothly through the
air or over water.
The Westing Game Vocabulary Chapter 8
Buttress- A structure, usually brick or stone, built
against a wall for support or reinforcement.
Bigot- One who is strongly partial to one's own group,
religion, race, or politics and is intolerant of those
Divisive- Creating dissension or discord.
Inscrutable- Difficult to understand.
Impeccable- Having no flaws; perfect. Incapable of sin
Pretentious- Claiming or demanding a position of
distinction or merit, especially when unjustified.
Vindictiveness- The quality or condition of being
Hodgepodge- A mixture of dissimilar ingredients; a
The Westing Game Vocabulary Chapter 9 13
Humiliation- To hurt the pride or dignity of by
causing to be or seem foolish or contemptible.
Hysterical- Extremely comical.
Coiffure- A style of arranging the hair.
Paraphernalia- A brides possessions beyond dower.
Pedicure- Care of the feet, esp. a trimming,
polishing, etc. of the toenails.
Demeaning- To lower in status or character; degrade;
Scornful- Filled with, or showing contempt.
Alibi- The defensive plea or fact that an accused
person was elsewhere then the scene of the crime with
which the person is charged.
Elephantine- Like an elephant in size or gait; huge,
heavy, slow etc.
The Westing Game Vocabulary Chapter 14 20
Obsequious- Full of or exhibiting servile compliance;
Soothsayer- One who claims to be able to foretell
events or predict the future; a seer.
Incriminating- To cause to appear guilty of a crime or
Eluding- To evade or escape from, as by daring,
cleverness, or skill.
Adjacent- Close to; lying near
Penance- An act of self-mortification or devotion
performed voluntarily to show sorrow for a sin or
Vagrancy- A wandering in mind or thought.
Covetous- Excessively and culpably desirous of the
possessions of another.
Ragtag- Shaggy or unkempt; ragged.
The Westing Game Vocabulary Chapters 21 - 30.
Derelicts- Neglectful of duty or obligation; remiss.
Paranoia- A psychotic disorder characterized by
delusions of persecution with or without grandeur,
often strenuously defended with apparent logic and
Meticulous- Extremely careful and precise.
Improbable- Unlikely to take place or be true.
Dastardly- Cowardly and malicious; base.
Unintelligible- Being such that understanding or
comprehension is difficult or impossible;
Derisive- Mocking; jeering.
Vengeful- Desiring vengeance; vindictive.
Stupified- To dull the senses or faculties of.
Here are the questions for Chapters 1 - 30:
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 1
1. List 2 unusual facts from pages 1 & 2.
2. How many letters from Barney Northrup were
3. What is one of the things the person who calls
himself Barney Northrup repeats to each prospective
tenant he is showing apartments to?
4. What is the difference between Grace Wexler and
Sydelle Pulaski's reaction to the Sunset Towers
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 2
5. What sentence on page 7 is an example of
6. What is an example of a Simile on page 7?
7. What method of character development does the
author use for Sandy, Doug, Theo, and Otis on page 7?
8. What is happening (right now) at the Westing House
that has caught everyone's attention?
9. What happened to the two boys from Westingtown that
went in the Westing Estate on a dare?
10. What does Turtle make and how much is the bet for?
11. Who does Chris see at the Westing House?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 3
12. What is the difference between how Grace Wexler
treats Angela and how she treats Turtle?
13. What does Flora Baumbach do for a living?
14. Who is Angela marrying?
15. In the section about Crow on pages 13 & 14, give
an example of Imagery.
16. What does Crow do for a living?
17. How is Mr. Hoo's business doing? What sentence on
page 15 can support your answer to this question?
18. Do Chris and Theo have a good relationship or a
bad one? Support your answer with an example from the
19. What is Sydelle Pulaski's attitude towards people?
Support your answer with an example from the story.
20. What is the last sentence in Chapter 3 an example
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 4
1. On what night did Turtle go to the Westing House?
2. After 11 minutes in the house, what did Turtle do?
3. Where did Turtle find Sam Westing's Corpse?
4. What are two Metaphors for the Westing House on
5. What game did Sam Westing like to play?
6. What happened to Sam Westing's daughter, Violet?
When did it happen?
7. What happened to Sam Westing's wife?
8. What four items did Turtle leave behind at the
Westing House that were not mentioned in the newspaper
9. Otis Amber delivers 16 newsletters inviting
everyone to what?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 5
10. "The marbled sky lay heavy on the gray Great
Lake..." (page 26) is an example of what literary term?
11. Why does Grace Wexler decide to keep her furs with
12. What is the metaphor for Angela on page 27?
13. What is in the corpse's hand?
14. "Angela, her face a mirror to the boy's
suffering..." (page 28) is an example of which
15. What goes through Turtle's mind on page 32 when
she sees Sydelle's crutches?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 6
16. Who are the two witnesses to Westing's will?
17. Who does Sam Westing claims that his life was
18. On the bottom of page 36 it says, "It was
uncanny." What was uncanny?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 7
19. When they all enter the game room, what is the
first thing Theo does?
20. List the 8 pairs in the Westing Game.
21. What is a Metaphor for Turtle found on page 39?
22. On page 44, what does Angela think about her partner?
23. Why does J.J. Ford get upset at Otis Amber?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 8
1. What does Jake Wexler argue with his wife about?
2. "..staring at the froth on the angry lake.." on
page 47 - 48, is an example of which literary term?
3. Why is Sydelle Pulaski suddenly so popular?
4. What sentence on page 49 has both a Metaphor and a
Simile for Angela?
5. Do you think Sydelle really needs to limp or is she
faking it? What clue from the story can support your
6. What does Turtle think her clues mean?
7. Find a Metaphor for Flora Baumbach on page 51.
8. Does Flora Baumbach like children? Give an example
from the story to support your answer.
9. On page 52 it says, "Why was he glaring at her like
that?" Why is Mr. Hoo glaring at Grace?
10. How do Grace and Mr. Hoo get along?
11. What new piece of information do we learn about
Grace on page 53?
12. Dr. Sydney Sikes has at least 3 connections to Sam
Westing. What are they?
13. What did Judge Ford think would keep everyone
playing the game? (She thought Sam Westing knew this
14. What quote from Sam Westing's will on page 58 is a
15. In the chess game that Angela is forming in her
head, who is the pawn, the king, and the queen?
16. What was stolen from Sydelle?
17. What strange thing did Sydelle do that Angela
was "too frightened to notice" on page 61?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 9
1. What are most people posting notices about?
2. What is ironic about Grace signing her note to
Turtle, "Your loving mother"?
3. Find a Metaphor for Angela on page 65.
4. How did Grace help out Mr. Hoo and his restaurant
5. It is an example of _______(literary term) that
Grace is always causing hurt feelings and then
wondering what is wrong with everybody?
6. What clue about Mr. Hoo's connection to Sam Westing
does Judge Ford learn about?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 10
7. Find a Metaphor for Grace on page 68.
8. Who are the two new characters introduced on page
70 & 71?
9. What does George Theodorakis do on page 71 that may
be an example of Foreshadowing?
10. Find a Simile for Sydelle Pulaski on page 72.
11. Why do you think Angela is so upset at the party?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 11
12. Find an allusion on page 74.
13. Why do you think Turtle has a negative attitude
towards Flora's daughter, Rosalie?
14. What does Turtle tell Flora her real name is? What
does her mother say Turtle's real name is?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 12
15. Who does George Theodorakis regard with suspicion
16. Who does Sydelle Pulaski think the burglar is?
17. What did Turtle mean when she told Sydelle, "I
don't need crutches to get attention"?
18. Who was Violet's escort to a party 20 years ago?
19. Who are the four heirs who have a connection with
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 13
20. Where is Grace Wexler working now, and what is her
21. How are Grace and Mr. Hoo getting along now? Give
an example from the story to support your answer.
22. What did Angela want to be? Who discourages her
from doing this?
23. Who does Angela remind Flora of? How might this
explain the pained look George Theodorakis gave her on
24. Who is the bookie?
25. What is the first sentence on page 92 an example
26. Find a Simile on page 92.
27. What kind of explosion did the inspector say
happened at Hoo's restaurant?
28. Find an example of Foreshadowing on page 94.
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 14
1. What did Judge Ford do with her half of the
$10,000? Why did she do that?
2. The "big tipper" on page 97 is a _______(literary
term) for Judge Ford.
3. What sentence on page 98 is an example of
4. Why won't Chris sign the check?
5. What might you infer about the sentence on page
102, "...but once they found out she wasn't their
6. Who do you think wrote the note in Angela's bag?
7. Why do you think Angela didn't expose Sydelle's
deception about her limp? What does this say about
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 15
8. Why does Turtle have a transitor radio plugged into
her ear all the time?
9. Why does Jake put his cigar back in his pocket?
What can you infer about his doing that?
10. Why did Violet Westing kill herself?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 16
11. Find a Metaphor for Turtle on page 112.
12. What can you infer about Angela screaming at
Turtle to get away right before the bomb went off?
13. Find an Allusion on page 114.
14. Why do you think Otis Amber is limping the next
day, as Chris noted? Explain your answer.
15. Who is the bomber?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 17
16. Why do you think Jake is sending candy and flowers
17. Who is teaching Sun Lin Hoo English?(Not Otis)
18. What do you think Crow means when she tells Theo
that he must go to his angel and take her away?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 18 - 19
19. What, in your opinion, is the real reason Turtle
wants to call Mrs. Baumbach "Baba"?
20. What happened to Rosalie?
21. Find a Simile on page 126.
22. What does Theo ask his partner to do?
23. What does Chris want from his partner?
24. How has Denton Deere changed since the beginning
of the story?
25. What is the first sentence in chapter 19 an
26. How does Angela figure out who the mysterious
letters are from?
27. Who is the mistake?
28. What is the Windkloppel connection?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 20
29. What was George's relationship to Violet Westing?
Who broke them up?
30. Why did Violet kill herself?
31. Who does Judge Ford think one of the heirs (and
the answer) is?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 21
1. What is Judge Fords connection to Sam Westing?
2. What move in chess did Sam Westing use to beat
Josie-Jo Ford in the last game they played together?
3. "Boom! Boom! A blinding flash of white fire
streaked through the lobby, through the open entrance
door and burst into a chrysanthemum of color in the
night sky," is an example of what literary term?
4. Why does Turtle claim to be the bomber?
5. What does Sydelle think the clues mean?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 22
6. Who is the thief? Why does the thief steal?
7. Find a Simile on page 158.
8. Why is Angela so happy on page 159?
9. What part of Sam Westing disappeared 15 years ago?
10. Find a Simile on page 163.
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 23
11. How are Jake and Grace getting along?
12. What are two Metaphors for Crow on page 170?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 24
13. Who does Judge Ford think Sandy is?
14. Who is the murderer (according to the song)?
15. Who does Crow give the money to?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 25
16.What are two odd things we learn about Sandy in
17. Who is Sam Westing's wife?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 26
18. Who is the limper who lit the fire that everyone
saw the smoke from the chimney from at the beginning,
on Halloween night?
19. Why does Otis Amber have a gun?
20. Find a metaphor for Angela on page 195.
21. What did Turtle fib about?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 27
22. Find an example of Imagery on page 204.
23. What are the four aliases of Windy Windkloppel?
24. How does Turtle figure out who the fourth alias is?
25. Who won the Westing Game?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 28
26. Who gets married?
27. Who pays for Chris to go to school?
28. Does Madame Hoo still want to go home to China?
Why or why not?
29. Is "Hoo's on First" a success?
30. What does Angela end up doing?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 29
31. How is everyone doing over the years?
32. What does Theo do?
The Westing Game Questions Chapter 30
33. Who does Turtle marry?
34. When Sam Westing dies, who seems to be taking his