Site hosted by Angelfire.com: Build your free website today!

A New Beginning by Sweeney

 

Cid steered the high wind smoothly away from the northern crater, and Tifa sighed in relief.

“We’ve done it” She said, sitting next to Cloud “We’ve defeated Sephiroth and the meteor. We can go home at last.” Cloud made to his feet and walked over to the large window that conveyed the lands that they flew over. “ I guess this is the end of our group.” He began, his head lowering slightly as though the weight of his sadness was pulling it down. “ I understand completely if you all want to go your separate ways.”

No one said anything. They all longed to return to their homelands, and the journey had created a weariness in their hearts that they could no longer hide from.

“ I understand” Cloud said again, taking up his seat beside Tifa.

                                                  It was decided that they would return to Midgar,( as the ship was in need of re fuelling), where they aimed to restore order in the troubled city. Once there, it was decided that the group would go there separate ways, and return to where they most longed to be. It was a long journey, but eventually they reached their destination and cid docked the high wind near to the fallen Shinra headquarters. The great tower that once had signified the abuse of Shinras’ power now lay in smouldering ruins, and a thick black smog rose thick in the air. There were only a handful of people around the half-building, and they recognized the group immediately.

“It’s them!” One said ecstatically. “Our saviours! They have returned to lead us to a better life.” He was an elderly man, dressed in cheap clothes from the wall market, but his eyes contained a glint that was richer than gold. Evidently he was a former member of shinra’s military department. He approached Cloud, (who was first from the ship) and placed a hand on his shoulder. But a sudden suspicion brewed in his mind as the mans grip contained a strength that was unnatural for his age. Cloud gasped and stumbled backwards.

wh..who are you?” He stammered, as the rest of the group approached them. The great figure of Barret strolled up beside Cloud, but the stranger stood his ground.

Heh heh, well I guess there’s no way I can fool you lot, you have brains I give you that, but you won’t have much need for them any more” The group were startled by the old mans words, all but Red xiii who seemed to depict some meaning from them.

“This cannot be what I believe it is…that was only prophesy” Growled Red. The group, especially Cloud, became even more confused.

“What prophesy Red?” Said Cloud “What’s this all about?” Red sighed and turned away from Cloud.

“At Cosmo Canyon, it was believed that if the planet seemed threatened then it would protect itself at all costs, and summon beings to aid in its survival”

“But that was the weapons” Said Tifa “We took care of them, and there are none left.”

“That’s where your wrong” Cut in the old man. “Do you really think that the planet would have only one defence? Your friends prophesy is right: the planet has one other option that may determine the fate of all.”

“It’s like Bugenhagen said” Began Red. “The planet may choose to end human life if it wishes.”

“But the life stream… didn’t it decide to keep us here?” Said Cloud.

“No young man, it did not decide then. All it did was protect itself, and simultaneously all life on the planet. But a new decision has been made”

“An’ what the hell is it?” Demanded Barret. The old man sighed, “That it should start again” At that moment, a great tremor formed all around them and the group struggled to stay on their feet. It was as though the very core of the planet was being ripped from the centre, being pulled upwards by some unimaginable force. Suddenly, there was a great noise and a crack began to appear below the old mans’ feet. It suddenly tore open and an extreme white light engulfed him and all around him. He began to transform: first his legs, then his torso, then his head, until he had change completely. He had become something to intricate to describe. It was as though the life stream had collected all its might, and formed a great being that was composed of everything, and stretched high above the bewildered group.

“What the f*** is that Red?” Bawled Barret over the noise, but Red was lost for words. It was beyond anything he could comprehend.

“Well, who gives a shit what it is, ima take it out” Barret pulled up his gun arm and fired ferociously at the being before him. 

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

CHAPTER 2

 

But his efforts were in vain, the great spirit of lifestream was completely invulnerable, and each round that Barret fired passed through it and caused no harm. The group were shocked, Barret retired behind Cloud who had raised the Ultima weapon above his head.

“We wont let you do it!” Yelled Cloud, overcome with emotion. “After all that we have done for the planet, we deserve to stay!” At those words, Clouds sword began to glow  bright white, which radiated all around him like the rays of the sun. He could feel his whole body drain of energy as he focused all his thoughts into his sword. And then there was an eruption as the light transformed to enrgy, and rushed towards the spirit at a tremendous velocity. The noise that followed was tumultuous as the energy crashed into the spirit, and it disappeared from sight.

Did..did I defeat it?” Mumbled Cloud, as he pondered over the slight rumble of noise that was sounding from the crevice in the ground. But it was beginning to grow, and in a burst of panic, Barret grabbed Cloud and pulled him toward the Highwind.

“This place is gonna blow man, lets move Cloud!” He yelled, as the group raced into the Highwind. The Highwind took to the skys just as the life stream spirit burst from the ground, and emitted an extreme green light.

                                                                     That had happened two weeks earlier and the group were now settled in Tifas’ house in Nivelheim. The lifestream spirit had disappeared into the planet. Since returning from the Northern Crater, things had changed dramatically. Many towns and villages had fallen into poverty following the demise of Shinra inc. Nivelheim had managed to stay on its feet by its Mako reactor, but that was soon to be put out of use. It was only Cloud, Tifa and Barret who remained loyal to the group: Red XII had returned to Cosmo Canyon, Yuffie had taken up materia hunting in search of holy and the rest had gone elsewhere. Tifa was sitting at the piano, whilst Cloud and Barret sat opposite her in a state of rest.

 

“I remember that song well Tifa” Said Cloud, as Tifa ran her fingers elegantly across the piano keys.

“I use to love this song as a child, and even now it brings back memories that I have forgotten about.” She replied. Barret sighed and scratched his head.

“I remember Avalanche when the song plays. Biggs, Jesse, Wedge…”

Tifa suddenly stopped playing and looked up at Barret.

“Do you think they are… up there?”

Barret lowered his head.

“I don’t know, but I hope so. They be good people… maybe Aeris is with them.”

“Yeah…maybe.”

                                                              The groups spirits were running low, no one was sure what could be done to help the people of the planet, but there was still the issue of the Spirit at hand. The following day everyone was up bright and early, as Cid had returned from an errand in Mideel.

“Good day folks!” He said in a cheerful tone. “Cloud, Tifa, Barret what have you been up to lately?”

“Not much, I guess we’re all just to tired from all that has happened.”

“Yep im pretty beat myself, especially since that bloody thing attacked us. Its’ got me thinking: what will become of us, what has this damn planet got hidden up it’s sleeve?”

Cloud sighed and shrugged his shoulders.

“Beats me Cid, best we can do is go look for that spirit, and try and stop it before it stops us” 

 “I don’t know, god that thing is powerful. Do you think we stand a chance?”

“Well, we’ve got nothing to lose and we can’t just let this thing pass by.”

“He’s right Cid.” Said Tifa “We have to do something.” Cid nodded his head and sighed heavily.

                                                                       For the rest of the week the group made preperations for what they were most dreading since the meeting with Sephiroth. They were low on morale knowing that their chances of success were slim, but a hidden determination stuck in their souls and they felt boosted by it. Cid had flown over to Midgar with Barret, to scout for the Lifestream spirit and they returned with intriguing news for Cloud and Tifa.

“It’s back!” Said Barret in unison with bursting into Tifas’ house. “An’ it’s suckin the hell out of Midgar!” Cloud was first to react.

“What do you mean?”

“It’s spread some tentacles or something into the ground, an’ is pullin all the mako out !” Cloud grabbed his sword.

“We’d better move then” He said, with a sudden rush of adrenalin. The four of them hurried to the High wind, (which was parked outside Nivelheim), and prepared for the last battle of their lives.

  It was a nerve wracking journey in the high wind, and the group could barely contain their feelings. Cloud sat at the front of the high wind holding his sword anxiously, and Barret was cleaning his gun arm almost possessively. No one felt like talking,  all they could do was sit in silence until they finally approached the dark city of Midgar. On arrival, the first thing they noticed was that the life stream spirit was a great deal bigger than on their previous confrontation, and seemed almost un-affected by their presence. Cid brought the High wind to the ground, and the group slowly emerged into the dark city. They were directly in front of the life stream spirit, but it took no notice of them and Cloud grew frustrated.

“We’ve come back!” He yelled up at it, and it turned slowly to face him.

“We can’t let you just destroy us without doing anything, we will fight until we drop”

The spirit looked at him through huge transparent eyes, but then turned and continued sucking the Mako from the ground.

“What the hell do we do Cloud?” Asked Barret anxiously. “We can’t even harm it, this is pointless!” Cloud looked at him blankly. He was beginning to realise that they stood no chance against the spirit, and he dropped to his knees.

Whwhat can I do?” He stammered. Suddenly, the Lifestream spirit began to glow bright green, and a small shadow appeared at its torso.

“What the…?” Stammered Barret, and just as he spoke, a small figure burst through where the shadow had been, and they all gasped as Red XII appeared before them.

uuuurgh…” Red collapsed before them.

“Are you alright?” Said Tifa in a worried tone. Red struggled to his feet.

“I…I’m fine.” He uttered, and turned to face the spirit. It was still unscathed. But its expression had changed. It now looked as though it had finished its duty and it raised its great tentacles from the ground. The group prepared themselves.

                                                        There was a loud screeching noise, and an immense blue light began to appear at the spirits’ mid-torso. Suddenly, the light spread all around them and shot high into the air. It then began to fall back to the ground like a great waterfall, and the group were engulfed in blue light. It was the last thing that they remembered and lived through, all except Red XII. Somehow the planet had decided to spare his life. He prospered for many years, and had several children. He was standing upon a large grassy hill, and stared down at the new Midgar free of human life. He roared, and his voice echoed all through the land.