THE CHANCEL SCREEN
On the occasion of Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897,
it was proposed to erect a Chancel Screen in the Cathedral to commemorate the event.
The Dean, the Very Rev Thomas Clarke, was however, about to retire,
and it was decided that the screen should serve also to commemorate his long incumbency, which began in 1842, when he was appointed Rector.
The sum of 150 pounds was raised partly by his friends and partly from the proceeds of an organ recital, and an order for the screen was placed with Messrs. Willis and Jones of London in January 1898. The screen was dedicated on December 22 that year.