The National Council of Social Development Foundation of the Phils, Inc. formerly known as the the Council of Welfare Agencies in the Philippines, Inc. (CWAPI) was established in 1949. It was formally organized in 1952 when a group of Filipino leaders of various welfare and civic organizations bonded together to respond to the aftermath of World War II. The formation of the Council can probably be considered as the beginning of NGO network in the Philippines.
In its more than 50 years of existence, it has built and expanded its network with both private, government and people's organizations, locally and internationally to address varied issues confronting the deprived sectors of our society. It continues to be a network of social service and social development agencies and organizations, demonstrating the capacity to undertake capability building, advocacy and social mobilization activities towards influencing change in national policies and development programs. From its initial children's concerns during the past years, NCSD now gives equal emphasis to "total family and community development" to be more responsive to the thrusts of its member organizations.
To date, the Council has not only linked its arms to the local organizations, it has also actively participated in the International Council on Social Welfare and other international bodies such as the United Nations Children's Fund, Food and Agriculture Office, World Health Organization, and International labor Organization, amongst others. Locally, it is a member of Caucus of Development NGO Networks (CODE-NGO), an umbrella organization of several networks.