Center of picture is 2 double homes owned
by Hinds in an area known as
Across street is "Chap" Chapelle's garage, service station and welding shop.
Chapelle later married Ann Bartholomew and the Tabart Inn was
moved to this location and renamed Chap-Ann Lodge.
in foreground, just right of center are the
complex of the Tabart Inn. A hotel owned by Ann Bartholomew
popularily known as Ann Bart.
Center of picture beyond tracks in Margantown.
Area left in photo with smoke from stacks is the rectangular roundhouse.
Area just below roundhouse in picture is area known as Swamptown.
Tabernash was born in 1913. It was created by the Denver and Salt Lake Railroad, popularly called "The Moffat" . The town came into existence when it was decided that the location would be better for the installation of a sub-division point and locomotive terminal than Fraser where the terminal was previously located. They put in 2 coal tipples, 2 large water tanks, a sandpit, and 6 sets of rails in the yards. They built a roundhouse that was square and equipped it with all the components necessary to keep the engines maintained and working year round. The primary purpose of the facility, and of the town, was to equip the road with the means of ferrying the freight trains over the Continental Divide by way of Rollins Pass. The star of this incredible venture was a titan of a locomotive affectionately called the "The Malley". A magnificent machine with two, two cylinder engines and a reheating system that afforded it the necessary power to take a trainload of coal cars up the 4% grade to Corona,(The station at the top of the world) throughout the winter and in the face of danger from a wide variety of perilous encounters.
The railroad was there for the people and the people for the railroad. There was hardly a soul, during the nearly 2 decades from 1912 until 1930 that didn't have some ties to the Moffat RR. The businesses depended upon the railroaders for their income. The ranchers shipped cattle and the timbermen shipped many thousands of feet of lumber on the Line and others such as the lettuce farmers took advantage of the company's services.
In those years the town of Tabernash was popularly, although not officially, divided into 5 separate areas. They were Hindsville, Morgantown, Swamptown, Morristown and Sunnyside Hill. The winters were severe with temperatures nearing --70 below zero upon occasion. The area was cut off from the rest of the world in the winter save for the one avenue of escape, the Moffat Railroad, and that was not always guaranteed. Berthoud Pass, the highway access to the eastern side of the Rocky Mountains was closed during winter months until the winter of 30-31. After the completion of the Moffat Tunnel in 1927, the town of Tabernash was reduced to a population of slightly over 100, down from a peak of more than 1000 in the early 20s.
There has been a resurgence of activity in the last few years. This is primarily due to the emergence of the area as a ski and winter sports Mecca. In addition, the year round tourist business has increased as well, as access and facilities have been greatly improved over the years. Homes are springing up in many areas around Tabernash and a super fine Golf Course and Country Club has been installed within a few minutes of the town. Tabernash, almost forgotten, is showing signs of returning as a member of the Valley family of towns. What is yet to come, no one can tell, but the valley surely is destined to grow in size and importance in keeping with the desire of so many to escape the rigors of the large cities and the desire for recreational diversities.
|L.C.Hinds||Mercantile store owner.|
|Walters||Butcher for L.C.Hinds|
|Chap Chapelle||Garage owner|
|Ann Bartholomew( Ann Bart)||Hotel owner.|
|John Dockerty||Hauler, blacksmith, bootlegger.|
|John and Lou Cullens||Pool Hall and Cafe|
|Paul Walters||Drug Store|
|Joe Morris||Sawmill and Timberman|
|Chriss Lomax||Station Master|
|Doc Brown||Railroad Doc|
|Sport Garret||Town Clerrk/Justice of the Peace|
|Mark Fletcher||County Sheriff|
|Larges-Dad , Ma, Max, Mary Myrt & Husband Whitey Fagg.|
Farms and Ranches
|Tom Smith Dairy.|