Starting All Over: A Veteran’s Legacy
- J.R. Schembre (skem'bry) is “Starting All Over” again after performing across the United States and in over twenty countries around the world.
A native of Southern Indiana, J.R. started her professional music career as a vocalist with the United States Air Force Band of the West in San Antonio, Texas.
- Following high school musicals and teen gospel concerts, J.R. graduated from Reitz High School in Evansville, Indiana and joined the Air Force band. As a Master Sergeant with the AF Band, JR performed with jazz, country, rock, r&b, latin and concert bands.
She opened the 2004 National VFW convention with Singer/Entertainer Tony Orlando and is a favorite at the annual Glenn Miller Festival in Clarinda, Iowa. Her inspiring original patriotic music has been featured in concerts across the country. She has performed for Henry Kissinger, Jimmy Stewart, Jimmy Dean, Lou Rawls, ambassadors and distinguished audiences around the world. She has performed at state fairs, rodeos, festivals, county fairs, high schools, colleges and chili cook-offs throughout the south and mid-west.
- After a successful career with the military, J.R. retired from the Air Force, but not from entertaining! Now a veteran, singer, songwriter and entertainer, JR continues to perform regularly for veteran, memorial and patriotic events. Her original tribute, "Veteran's Legacy" has received overwhelming support from the veteran's community and keeps her busy throughout the year at patriotic events, churches, schools and veteran's programs.
- JR's versatile music background has also made her a popular choice in many different settings since leaving the military. JR is a favorite with the GMBPS society band at the annual Glenn Miller Festival in Clarinda Iowa. For the Evansville Civic Theater, JR drew great reviews as singer/drummer "Jo" in "Swingtime Canteen". She has entertained with a variety of popular music ensembles and was a featured vocalist at the Newburgh Jazz Fest in Indiana. She and husband Danny also perform together often at numerous social functions.
- JR completed her Masters degree at Oakland City University. A senior business project and numerous requests for recordings of her patriotic songs prompted JR to record her music as part of her research project. Capitol Management producer, Robert Metzgar was delighted to help and signed her to record on the Platinum Plus Universal - Nashville label. He encouraged her to showcase her diverse songwriting and vocal skills which resulted in the refreshingly unique "Starting All Over - A Veteran's Legacy".
What's next? J.R. and "Saxman" Danny are often heard at private events from St. Louis to Indianapolis to Nashville. Expect to see J.R.'s next recordings showing up in the Jazz, Christian and Patriotic sections of your favorite music departments soon. JR's personal goal is to share the jazz music she loves, her faith in Jesus Christ and the positive, patriotic message of appreciation in her songs with audiences and veterans across the country.
JR's MANY INFLUENCES INCLUDE:
- Carole King, Janis Joplin, Mama Cass Elliot, Dionne Warwick, Elvis Presley, Ann Murray, Patsy Cline, Loretta Lynn "and the whole Hee Haw gang"! Aretha Franklin, James Taylor, Willie Nelson, Chicago, Bread, Steely Dan, the Doobie Brothers and Michael Franks. "Favorite jazz mentors include Ella Fitzgerald, Nancy Wilson, Lena Horn, Doris Day and big band greats Glenn Miller and Duke Ellington.
JR has performed at/in/for:
- U.S. Embassies and military bases around the world
- Texas State Fair
- Oklahoma State Fair
- RAGBRAI (bike ride across Iowa)
- Tulsa, Roy Clark Celebrity Golf Tournament
- Lum & Abner Days, Mena Arkansas
- Oklahoma City, National Finals Rodeo
- Albuquerque Balloon Festival, New Mexico
- Apalachacola Seafood Festival, Florida
- Eau Claire Wisconsin, Jazz Festival
- Mexico, England, Germany, Italy, Greece,
Turkey, Yugoslavia, Moroco, Azores
- Japan, Korea, Guam, Singapore, Okinawa
- Glenn Miller music festival in Clarinda, Iowa
- Dayton Ohio, Air Force museum
- Evansville Indiana, Freedom Festival
- Newburgh Indiana, Jazz Festival
- 2004 National VFW Convention in Cincinnati OH
- Indianapolis veteran conventions
- Veteran's Tribute with Evansville Dance Theater, IN
- Schools and colleges in Texas, Oklahoma, New Mexico, Nevada, Louisiana, Florida, Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, Kansas, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Missouri, Kansas, Illinois and Indiana.
Military assignments included:
US Air Force Band of the West, San Antonio, Texas
- Diminsions In Blue, jazz band
- New Approach, rock ensemble
- Friends, jazz combo
- Concert Band performances
USAFE Band(United States Air Force Europe)
- Galaxy, rock ensemble
- Glenn Miller band, Ambassadors, jazz ensemble
USAF Air Training Command Band, TX
- Country Critters, Country band
- Chuckwagon, country
- Alma Latina, latin ensemble
- Glenn Miller Commemerative Show Ensemble
PACAF Band (Pacific Air Command) Japan
- Pacific Showcase, jazz ensemble
- Pacific Express, Rock, R&B
USAF Heartland of America Band, Nebraska
- Looking Glass, variety music show ensemble
- Nightwing, country and popular music group
- Noteables, jazz ensemble
- Concert Wind Ensemble
J.R. continues to perform regularly in a variety of venues and for veteran's organizations across the U.S.
For recordings and scheduling, contact - email@example.com