Plant City, Florida
The Strawberry Capital of the United States
Located in Northeastern Hillsborough County, about 30 miles east of tampa, the city is agriculturally rich and has become known as the strawberry Capital of the United States.
Today, Plant city is the center for strawberry cultivation with more than three-fourths of the midwinter strawberries grown in the United States produced in Plant City. The first American species of strawberrieswas cultivated about 1835.
Plant City Facts:
1. Plant city's history dates back to the mid 1800's.
2. As early as 1839, a pine log blockhouse, Fort Hichipuckassa, existed.
3. In 1849, settlers started the Ickepuckesassa post office, which was originally after the native American village thatonce occupied the area.
4. In 1884, railroad entrepreneur Henry B. Plant extended the south Florida Railroad into the region.
5. One year later, when the town was incorperated, it was renamed in his honor.
6. The recognition goes to Mr. Plant, but also describes the surroundng farming industry, which greatly added to the city's growth.
November 15, 2005