HP Pavillion Notebook n5250 Linux notes
Stream-of-consciousness Page 1...
These pages have my experiences with installing Linux onto this particular laptop...
Fry's on 22 jan 2001, m$ winME installed;
upgraded RAM with another 128M and bought pcCard lan.
Intel Pentium 3, 700 Mhz (when using outlet power);
256 M RAM;
S3 Savage/IX w/MV video card (4 M AGP-VRAM);
TFT 13" 1024x768 monitor;
ESS MDM Modem (WinModem, i assume);
Synaptics PS/2 Touchpad Mouse;
and lots of other details about sound/usb/pcmcia...
The link listed on the next page for the n5190 laptop was the real trailblazer.
updates from 2001
- since i originally put this site together, linux has kept evolving...
- basically ANY distribution in 2002 should work straight out of the box
- assuming you can boot from the cd (hit esc if necessary during bootup)
- ive installed several versions successfully:
- redhat 7.1/7.2
- suse 8.0
- lycoris amethyst upd2 (build 46 june 2002)
- so you should not need to worry about anything if you have an old laptop that you want to use
- with a newer distribution these days.
- personally, i liked lycoris because it allowed me to play dvds straight out of the box
- unfortunately, i havent been able to get a recent development build to bootup correctly (build 66).
- as in all linux - ymmv - but ill go ahead and include the links
- to the other pages that showed my first struggles to get this laptop
- running in linux back when the video-drivers were not supported, etc...
- this page was updated on 30 dec 2002