What We Believe
What is a Christian? One who trusts in Jesus Christ as Savior. We accept the Bible as the true source of Christian love, guidance and doctrine. We proclaim God's message by teaching that a person is not to live according to a formula of do's and don'ts but in the freedom of Christian love.
Founded on its understanding of the BIBLE, the church teaches that:
- The BIBLE is the Word of God -- absolute truth. It shows God in action.
- GOD is ONE God in THREE persons -- Father, Son, and Holy Spirit- Creator, Redeemer, and Sanctifier.
- MAN and WOMAN were created by God in holiness, but sinned (rebelled). We cannot by our own powers come back to God.
- The SAVIOR, Jesus, died to save the world from sin.
- A person is JUSTIFIED (saved), not through merit, but only by God's grace, through faith.
- REPENTING means sincerely regretting one's sins and asking for Christ's forgiveness and guidance.
- The CHURCH is all those people who sincerely accept and believe in Jesus as Lord and Savior.
- BAPTISM, a sacrament, establishes new life in a person. It remakes him or her in God's spirit.
- THE LORD'S SUPPER, a sacrament, is the Body and Blood of Christ born by bread and wine in Holy Communion.
- The CREEDS are statements of belief, not additions to the Bible. They summarize the Bible's teachings.
- RELIGION and SCIENCE are not in conflict. Religion talks about the "who," the creator; science talks about the "how."
- A CHRISTIAN'S UNITY with fellow Christians is rooted in Christ as God and Savior.
- GOD'S LAW demands perfection of heart, thought, word and deed. Whoever disobeys is a sinner.
- SINS are the failures of people to live their lives in trust toward God. They are evidenced in thoughts, words and deeds.
- The GOSPEL, the teachings of Jesus, offers grace to everyone and will save those who believe in its promises.
- FAITH is a confessed sinner's acceptance of Christ as Savior.
- CONVERSION (spiritual rebirth) is the bestowal of faith in Christ as Savior.
- SANCTIFICATION (holiness of life) follows conversion, but total holiness is possible only after entering eternal life.
- PRAYER is a Christian's sharing of thought with God -- communication with God.
- DEATH does not sever a believer's relationship with Christ.
- SEPERATION of CHURCH and STATE is ordained by God and provides two arenas of work for Christians.
- MARRIAGE is intended for life.
The "CHURCH" is REALLY PEOPLE called to faith in Jesus Christ and sent on a mission to the world. It's a living fellowship -- our DAILY partnership with God and people. Loyalty to Christ "matures" within the church and cannot endure outside it. JESUS ASKS that people care for one another, worship together and riase children in faith. It's also every Christian's responsibility to witness the truth -- by spoken word and written word. We also witness by example -- living a life of LOVE and SERVICE to others; living SELFLESSLY as a follower of Christ.
When in doubt about how to proceed, PRAY -- the answer will come to you.
So, THE MESSAGE OF CHRISTIANITY:
All of us are sinners. We need to be rescued from sin. We continue to sin throughout our lives. Christ died for us and saved us from sin.