working Golden Sands National Park in Varna, Bulgaria. Varna is the
largest port city on The Black Sea and Gabrielle lives in an apartment
just minutes from the beach. Just as a little rundown, She just finished
a year attending Washington State University (with a few classes at University
of Idaho) where she is working on her Master's degree. Her thesis
will be based on the work she will perform over the next two and a half
years in Bulgaria.
Gabrielle and her friends are planning a trip to Egypt for the millennium celebration at the Pyramids with Pink Floyd and plan on doing as much travel as possible while in Bulgaria.
Gabrielle has been busy taking pictures of people and places, and has sent the film home to be processed. Through the wonders of technology, I was able to get the best pictures and post them online. Check them out and look back occasionally for new photos.
2. squatter toilets really stink.
3. vegetables truly are seasonal.
4. it takes ten hours to travel 300 miles.
5. cement really is colder than you expect.
6. every battery is sold separately.
7. index cards don't exist.
8. there is always time.
9. shaking your head the wrong way only takes a few months to master.
10.Bulgarians are wonderfully hospitable once you get to know them; the trick is getting to know them.
11. instead of repairing the railroad tracks the government just lowers the speed limit, which is why it takes 10 hours to travel 300 miles.
12. Bulgaria is extremely beautiful and full of culture.
13. Bulgarians wouldn't last a day in an American office, because you cannot take 4 hour lunches and 10 coffee breaks a day.
14. oatmeal is only sold at pharmacies.
15. when you step into a BG style elevator you take your life into your own hands, and no the owners are not liable.
SEND GABRIELLE SOME EMAIL
SNAIL MAIL HER THROUGH
THE PEACE CORPS:
THIS PAGE AND
ITS CONTENTS CREATED LOVINGLY BY GABRIELLE'S SISTER