September 2004 Newsletter
Web Page Address: Issue: 09/04 September 2004
2550 Camino Tassajara
Danville, California 94526
Sensei: Kunitoshi Akabane (925) 736-7600,
President: Jim Stalker,   Vice President: Nick Nickelson
Editor: Don Meeker,
Tuesday - Sep 7th. Board Meeting. 7:30pm. Tassajara Nursery.
Note: We will resume our normal scheduling, meeting in the Science Room of the Charlotte Wood Intermediate School, Danville, on the 2nd and 3rd Mondays of each month, except December will be a joint meeting on the second Monday.
Please bring plant material appropriate to the topic for the class. Either something already in development or to be developed.
Monday - Sep 13th - Basic Class Meeting. 7:00-7:30PM - Library and Business Meeting. 7:30 - 8:00PM -Lecture Topic: Discuss results of summer care. 8:00 - 10:00PM Workshop. Basic members are asked to bring their donation trees for the Spring Show, to be priced.
Refreshments: Daryl Choy and Marcia Cozens.
Monday - Sep 20th - Intermediate Class Meeting. 7:00-7:30PM - Library and Business Meeting. 7:30 - 8:00PM -Lecture Topic: Preparation for winter. Controlling after summer growth. 8:00 - 10:00PM Workshop. Intermediate members are asked to bring their donation trees for the Spring Show to be priced.
Refreshments: Jack Mahshi
From the President
Nick Nickelson is organizing for the Spring 2005 Club Show. He will be asking you to help in any way you are able. The several committees are listed below with a brief description of their activities and responsibilities. Please be prepared to sign up to Chair or help with one or more of these committees.
align=center style='margin-right:.5in;margin-left:.5in;text-align:center'> Committees for March 2005 Club Show
1. Display - Responsible for assuring quality of tree exhibit. Expected to work closely with K. Akabane on the number of trees and tree content. Committee to be chaired by at least one board member.
2. Construction - Responsible for physical construction and knockdown of exhibit. Committee to be chaired by at least one club member.
3. Fiscal - Responsible for monitoring all financial operations, including both income and expenditures relating to the show. Responsible for submitting a report to the Board of Directors giving a detailed analysis of income and expenses for the show Committee to be chaired by the club treasurer.
4. Plant Sale and Raffle - Responsible for the assembly of all plant sales, raffle and door prize materials for the show. Conduct sales, raffle and door prize drawing. Committee to be chaired by at least one club member.
5. Hospitality - Responsible for soliciting, preparing and serving food and refreshments in the hospitality room and tea service area. Committee to be chaired by the social chair persons of the meeting groups.
6. Publicity - Responsible for pre-exhibit and post-exhibit publicity. Committee to be chaired by the corresponding secretary.
7. Greeting - Responsible for greeting show guests, keeping a guest book, maintaining a list of prospective members, distributing door prize tickets, monitoring the exhibit area and answering questions. Committee to be chaired by at least one club member.
8. Education - Responsible for carrying out an educational display theme to assist in educating the public in the art of bonsai. Committee to be chaired by at least one experienced club member.
At the close of each meeting please help with the clean up and storing of the Club materials. People are encouraged to leave in groups of two or more and be sure that Lois Naye is not left to close alone after the Basic class meetings.
Club Library, Carol Lynn Hansen Bassett, is the Club librarian. Please assist Carol in maintaining the Library. Always checking out materials when you borrow them and be sure to return them on time. There are a lot of valuable resources available in the Club Library for study and review.
Diablo Bonsai Look Ahead Schedule
Monday October 11th - Basic Class 7:00-7:30PM - Library and Business Meeting. 7:30-8:00PM - Ikadabuki (Raft Style). 8:00PM-10:00PM Workshop. Refreshments: Colin Horn and Steve Huskins.
Monday October 18th - Intermediate Class 7:00-7:30PM - Library and Business Meeting. 7:30-8:00PM - Planting on a rock. Bring tree and rock. 8:00PM-10:00PM Workshop. Refreshments: Don Meeker.
September 18-19, San Mateo San Mateo Bonsai Club 40th Annual Autumn Bonsai Exhibit at the Central Park Recreation Center, 50 East 5th Avenue and El Camino Real. Saturday Noon-5pm and Sunday 10am-5pm. Demonstrations both days at 2:00pm.
October 9-10, OaklandEast Bay Bonsai Society 43rd Annual Bonsai Show at Lakeside Garden Center (Lake Merritt), 666 Bellevue Ave. Saturday 10am-5pm, Sunday 11am-4:30pm. Demonstration by Dave De Groot at 1pm on Sunday.____________________________________