Diablo Bonsai Club
Web Page Address: Issue 00/09 ¨ September 2000
2550 Camino Tasajara
Danville, California 94526
Sensei: Kunitoshi Akabane (925) 736-7600
President: Bob Evans (925)-280-0268
Editor: Daryl Bunch (925)-830-8790 email - bunchs @ix.netcom.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Heather Farms Garden Center,
1540 Marchbanks Drive, Walnut Creek, CA
September 11 - Basic Class (7:00pm to 7:30 pm)– Class topic: Final Review of Exhibit and Project Plants.
(7:30 to 8:00 pm) Start Basic Workshop.
- Intermediate Class (8:00 to 8:30 pm) - Manicuring Bonsai
(8:30 to 10:00pm) Continue Basic and start Intermediate workshop
Refreshments: John Rabinowitz, Linda Soliven and James Stalker
September 18 - (7:00 to 10:00 pm) - Workshop for Basic and Intermediate Classes
Refreshments: Frank and Joanne Reyes, Barbara Richards and Ed Zamora
Note: If you are listed to bring refreshments and cannot attend the meeting, please call Bob Evans at (925) 820-0268.
September 5 – Board Meeting at CalFed Bank on Crow Canyon Road, San Ramon at 7:30pm.
September 16 to October 21 - Danville Fine Arts Gallery - Gallery hours are 12 noon to 5:00 pm
233 Front Street, Danville
The Diablo Bonsai Club will again show trees as part of the Fine Arts Exhibit. We will have three trees each week during the exhibit running from September 16th through October 21st. There will be a reception at the Gallery on Saturday, September 16th from 4to 6 pm to kick-off the start of the exhibit.
September 16 - Field Trip to study trees in nature. Car pools of 5 to 6 cars will assemble at Montgomery Ward's parking lot on Monument Blvd in Concord. Sign-up and details will be at the September 11th meeting.
There is only six weeks now until the October Show. The following are some of the pointers for the show:
1. Gather dry moss in flats and start watering the moss now so that you will have fresh green moss for your show trees.
2. Sign up for one or more committees to work on at the show. Sign up sheets will be at the September meetings.
3. Return the Hospitality food donations to Don Meeker at the September meetings.
4. Return the plant sale sheets to Renee McGowan at the September meetings.
5. Sign up for the tree or trees you plan to exhibit in the show, give their ages and how long you have been training them. When you sign up the trees, be specific and don't just put juniper or maple, etc. Is it a San Jose Juniper, Shimpaku Juniper; a Trident Maple or a Japanese Maple, etc. Also, indicate if you have a stand for your tree or not.
6. Bring the tree or trees that you plan to exhibit to the September 18th class so that Sensei Akabane can see them and if necessary give suggestions. Every member is encouraged to show at least one tree.
7. Volunteer to help Barney Montoya fix the backdrops before the October show. The work party will be in Livermore and Barney needs two or three volunteers. Give Barney a call at (925)-443-8554.
8. Read over the enclosed Show Guidelines included in this newsletter.
Just a reminder, the miscellaneous bonsai related items donated to the club will be at the September 11th meeting for members to take what ever they want at no cost.
In the future please call Tom Fong at (925) 825-9737 if you change your address, e-mail or telephone number so that the club roster can be kept up to date.
September 10 - Bonsai Estate Sale at Lakeside Park Garden Center, 666 Bellevue Avenue (Lake Merritt), Oakland, CA. 10:00 am to 3:00 pm. Proceeds to benefit the Golden State Bonsai Collection - North.
September 16 - 17 - San Mateo Bonsai Club 37th Annual Exhibit - at Central Park Recreation Center, 50 East Fifth at El Camino Real, San Mateo, CA. Show hours are Saturday 12 noon to 6 pm and Sunday 10 am to 5 pm. Demonstration both days at 2pm.
September 30th - Midori Bonsai Club 39th Annual Bonsai Show - in the courtyard of St Edwards Episcopal Church, 15040 Union Avenue at hwy 85, San Jose, CA. For information call (408)-734-4367. Show hours are 10 am to 5 pm.
September 30 - October 1 - Capital City Bonsai Association 2nd Annual Fund Raiser of the Collection North at the Sacramento Garden and Art Center, 3330 McKinley Blvd, Sacramento, CA. Hours: Saturday 9 am to 5pm, Demonstration by Kathy Shaner at 10:30 am; Sunday from 10 am to 4 pm. Demonstrations by Mas Imazumi at 10:30 am and Johnny Uchida at 1:30 pm. For information call (916)-630-1340.
September 30 - October 1 - Akebono Bonsai Club Bonsai Show at Palo Alto Buddhist Temple, 2751 Louise Road, Palo Alto. Hours: Saturday from 12 noon to 6pm and Sunday 10 am to 5 pm. Demonstrations both days at 2pm.
Diablo Bonsai Club Look Ahead
October 2 – Basic Class - Ikadabuki (Raft Style), workshop
Intermediate Class - Bunjin Style, Workshop
Refreshments: Bruce Bachland, Bob Brown, Daryl Bunch
October 9 – Basic and Intermediate Classes bring your plant sale trees to class for pricing.
Refreshments: Donald Clark, Patrick Corbiere, Keith and Janice Carlisle
October 3 - Board of Directors Meeting
October 14, 15 - October Annual Exhibit
October 15 - Critique of trees in exhibit by Sensei Akabane
Note to members: Members desiring to use the web page for their monthly newsletter instead of having it mailed to their house should contact Daryl Bunch either by phone or email locations shown above.