- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter
- 6 fresh artichoke bottoms, uncooked and sliced
- 2/3 cup finely chopped white onions
- 1 leek, cleaned and diced (white part only)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 large baking potato, peeled and diced
- 1 quart water
- 2 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 cup (1/2 pint) whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp French brandy
- Heat 3/4 stick of butter in a 3-qt. saucepan.
- Saute the artichoke bottoms, onions, celery, leek, and garlic for 7-10 min. Add the diced potato, the quart of water, and the salt and pepper.
- Cover the pot and simmer the soup for 20 min. or until the potatoes become very soft.
- Add the whipping cream, the remaining 1/4 stick butter, and the French brandy.
- Ladle the contents of the pot into a blender and liquify. You will have to do this in several batches, since there is more soup than will fit into the blender jar at one time.
- Pour the liquified contents into a bowl until all the soup has been blended.
- Pour the bowl of soup back in the pot, rewarm, and serve.