Senior Project Manager
Excellence in Project Execution
new product implementation • hardware • software • new product development
• cross-functional leader • astute problem solver • change pioneer marketing • sales
• engineering • manufacturing
Experienced manager with record of increasing product gross profit margin throughout the product life cycle. Acknowledged for generating revenue and for gaining efficiencies by defining and applying world-class project management practices. Reputation for identifying and resolving technical problems quickly and thoroughly to save time, money and relationships. Skilled in creating, leading and focusing teams, collaborating with customers, marketing and developers to take products from concept to the marketplace.
- Reduced new product development time by 20% and decreased management time by 30% by analyzing and simplifying new product development process.
- Generated $400 million of new business in three years by establishing customer participation program to ensure compliance with changing government regulations.
- Reduced design cycle time by 50% by directing project design using aggressive scheduling techniques. Initiative led to award of $700,000 incentive fees.
- Initiated 80% improvement in problem resolution time by driving program to design and deliver remote, secure diagnosis of installed equipment.
- Dramatically increased quality, and improved time and costs of new product
development and implementation by creating world-class project management policies and procedures. Adopted as company standard and rolled-out across company acquisitions.
NORTEL NETWORKS, Santa Clara, CA 2000 - 2001
New Product Introduction (NPI) Manager
Ensured serviceability needs included in new product design and for readying service
groups to support product introduction.
- Improved turnaround by three weeks, removed over 4 man-weeks of effort and
increased asset tracking of unsecured equipment by developing process to provide secure
and fast distribution of equipment to Tech Support Centers world-wide.
- Developed upgrade program using contract administrator to defuse customer concerns when key feature was left from software release, reducing excess inventories and capping the cost.
KLA-TENCOR, San Jose, CA 1997 - 2000
Senior NPI Engineer
Responsible for ensuring serviceability needs were included in new product design.
- Developed solutions for all equipment to solve Y2K problem. Updated over 17,000 units three months before deadline, recovering all direct costs.
- Doubled MTBF within two years by establishing and driving reliability improvement
SUMMERS CONSULTING, Saratoga, CA 1991 - 1997
Consultant on new product development. Clients include Apple, Applied Materials, and
- Reduced release time to manufacturing of new software from 5 weeks to 2 weeks.
- Developed training program using actual situations for preparing Marketing Requirements
- Document resulting in shortening development time by 10%.
- Developed creative roll out strategy based on account management resulting in early
roll out and sales to 30% more new accounts.
THERMCO SYSTEMS, San Jose, CA 1990 -1991
Responsible for joint development program with SEMATECH for Chemical Vapor Deposition Reactors.
Previously held positions as product manager at Amdahl, project manager and sales manager at General Electric Company.
- Directed team of 8 engineers to develop twenty reliability and performance
improvements resulting in 130% increase in MTBF and 50% reduction in MTTR.
- Established a cost of ownership model used for training engineers in reliability and
design of experiments.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING:
B.S. Chemical Engineering, Iowa State University
M.S. Cybernetics, San Jose State University
Registered Professional, California #2784