from TRANSFER POINTS Vol. XXI, No. 7, September 1996
and Volume XXII, No. 1, January 1997
During the 1950s and 1960s, Arrow Bus Lines was a local bus service that ran in the Port Credit and Cooksville areas of what is now the City of Mississauga. The operation started in 1955, and was owned at one time by Joe Monk who was also in the moving truck business. Arrow ended its operations following a takeover by Charterways Transportation in the fall of 1968.
A timetable effective June 1st, 1957, shows a U-shaped route operating in both directions from Centre Road (now Hurontario Street) and Lakeshore Boulevard, north to Dundas Street, east on Dundas to Dixie road and south on Dixie back to Lakeshore, then returning via the same streets. Buses operated on an hourly schedule Monday through Saturday, with one bus in service. The first trip operated northbound on Dixie from Lakeshore at 6:45 a.m., and the last trip terminated at Centre & Lakeshore in Port Credit at 9:13 p.m. There was no Sunday service.A roll-sign taken from one of the 1950 Leyland buses that the company owned lists three routes:
|Long Branch - Port Credit||via Dixie Road|
|Clarkson - Port Credit||via Truscott|
|Long Branch - Port Credit - Clarkson||via Dixie Road|
Fares were cash only, at 15 cents for adults and 10 cents for children, with no transfers issued or accepted. Further information could be obtained by calling CR8-5121.
Arrow operated a varied fleet, which included two 1950 Leyland Olympic EL40s acquired used by Arrow from the Guelph Transportation Commission in 1965, two or three ex-Toronto Transit Commission Fitzjohns (themselves second-hand from former independent Toronto suburban operators), and an ex-TTC 1947 General Motors TDH-3610 from the 985-996 series. The fleet colours were a greenish-gold body with a white top.
Number 71 in the Arrow fleet was a 1950(?) Twin Coach model 38-S, serial 1125C built as Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. number 151. In 1968 number 71 became letter "S" in the Charterways fleet, and then ran as Mississauga Transit 761 for a short while. In the early 1980s this bus was owned by Toronto Transportation Society member Bob Pineault.