HISTORY OF GUIMBAL
The first reference to Guimbal by such name in Spanish record appears in Father Coco's appendix to Medina's "History of the Agustinian Order in the Philippines" where it referred to the establishment of a convento in Guimbal in 1590.
A closer fact compared to some other writings is that the name of the town was derived from a musical instrument called Guimbal also sometimes called by other researchers as gimba. The Guimbal was one of the ancient musical instruments of the Spanish Panayanos. It is described as a drum usually thirty centimeters in diameters high and twenty centimeters in diameter, made from a hollowed- out trunk of a palm tree, cut and covered with either goat or deer skin. The Guimbal or Gimba as its variation, sometimes also spelled gimbal is confirmed as an ancient Malay instrument.
The Spaniards discovered the settlers using the instrument to warn the people of the coming of the raiding Moro pirates who used to loot the town and capture its natives to be sold as slaves in Kolambongan, Mindanao.
As an expression of gratitude to the instrument , with high spirit and pride as the unconquered people of the settlement, the inhabitants their settlement Guimbal.
When the town Guimbal dazzled the thousands of spectators in Iloilo city's biggest annual joy fest, Dinagyang Festival on January 24, 1987 with its first prize winning entry Tribu Guimbal which filled the air with unprecedented rhythmic din of more than a hundred drums and the annual town fiesta celebration wherein the local government provided support to all elementary and high schools in the municipality for the drum and bugle corps whose sound of hundreds of drums highlighted the festivity, it is unwittingly reviving the town's ancient primacy as the drum center of the Philippines.
SEE HISTORICAL SITES AND LANDMARKS